Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help choosing cut length and more importantly, produt!
06-26-2017, 05:21 PM (This post was last modified: 06-26-2017 05:22 PM by urimtz.)
Need help choosing cut length and more importantly, produt!
I have very straight and very thin hair! It is about five inches on the top and under 2 (i think) on the sides. I was going for a side part initially; keeping my hair shorter didn't really work so I am growing it out now.

Now I am looking more toward a slicked back/side part, with a quiff. Much like Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age in certain pictures.

My history with products:
SUAVECITO
When I decided to grow my hair longer for a side part (from short and spiky with gel), a good barber recommended Suavecito Pomade. I gave it a try, I got the original hold and it worked ok... sometimes. Once my hair started getting a bit long, my hair would fall by the end of my school day. In fact, I would style it before heading out and while I finished getting all of my stuff, it would not look the same as when the I finished combing it. So I told my barber that my hair fell when it was longer. He suggested the firme hold. Ok, so I buy a can from him. After trying it dry, trying it wet, trying both hands and hair wet, trying it damp, using a little bit, using a ton (I did this for both holds), AND buying a second can from their website just to make sure, I found out that there was very little difference between the two. The firm hold failed in the same way the original did. At this point I had given up on pomades all together.

TIGI BED HEAD WAX
Then I tried Tigi Bead Head wax as it was recommended on this forum. Got it back when the container was still black. I have to admit, I never found out how to use it very well. I applied it with dry hands on damp hair. My hair would feel weird and would occasionally fall too. I didn't get it right until the second container (silver and new formula). Applied it on damp hair with damp hands. It's better but still hard to get to right combo.

COOL GREASE: FIBER GREASE
I looked back into pomades because the wax was a bit too harsh for quick trips to the store Big Grin. I found Cool Grease's Fiber Grease (yellow). My hair was not super long (maybe 3 in.) and t worked amazing on the first few days! I thought I had finally found the greatest product ever! Well now my hair is longer and it's hot, and this pomade just doesn't cut it. No matter how much I use, no matter if my hair is damp or dry, the pomade melts or evaporates or something! In just a few minutes my hair looks almost as bad as when I have finished drying my hair after a shower.

DECODED ARTISANS MAX HOLD POMADE
So then, I looked for something with MAX hold. Looking at online reviews, I thought this random Decoded Artisans Max Hold Pomade. Stuff smells amazing but is just as bad as the rest of the pomades I have used.

I was thinking of going back to the wax but I just remembered it's too heavy for daily use! I might get it, but I'd have to keep pomade around for lazy days.

Summary: Thin hair, really soft, about 5 inches in length. I have tried pomades but these only seem to dissolve! Wax seems to work better but it;s a bit heavy for daily use. Is there anything in between? Is my hair too long? Any help is appreciated. I hope I didn't write too much.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-30-2017, 10:13 AM
RE: Need help choosing cut length and more importantly, produt!
Could try a clay pomade or something like this - arcadian do a good one. Or if the pomade is drying out try an oil based pomade rather than water based if that's what youve been using?
07-09-2017, 06:36 PM
RE: Need help choosing cut length and more importantly, produt!
(06-30-2017 10:13 AM)djames1996 Wrote:  Could try a clay pomade or something like this - arcadian do a good one. Or if the pomade is drying out try an oil based pomade rather than water based if that's what youve been using?

Thanks for answering! I looked into what products were best for thin hair and styling cream and clay came up. I decided to go with Layrite Natural Matte Cream.

Since my post, I got a haircut. Just a trim on the sides and a MAJOR thinning. I swear he took out more than half of my hair. It is easier to control and get it together in the morning. I would wake up and it would be all crazy but the thinning has been a great help with that. Problem: Both of my current pomades (Cool Grease and Decoded) don't hold up. It has been quite hot in So Cal this week, but I feel like normal weather would not help much. I tried a paste from target and I lived how my hair felt but it would not hold the front at all.
I just got two 4 oz containers of the Layrite on ebay and will likely try it by mid week.

Unfortunately, I think I am going to go back to short hair, at least on the sides. The sides just stick out too much and look awkward. I am not expecting the Layrite cream to hold the sides down but I think it will be fine holding the top.

The other thing is (if my hair wasn't so straight maybe) I could get it tapered almost to the skin at the bottom and long enough toward the top to keep it nearly flat with some product. OR just leave the top with no product, but it sticks straight out so a couple of weeks later it would look weird. I might just try this out anyway next time I go to my barber. The OTHER thing, would be that I would be forced to go to the shop every four weeks or so to keep it looking clean (at $20 USD, its not so good for my wallet). Unless I learned to trim the bottom... I'll see.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Left part, medium length hairstyle: what to ask for? mede342 1 952 07-13-2015 03:14 PM
Last Post: BigMan
  What length to stop showing scalp with blonde hair? Alex 7 9,543 08-12-2014 12:54 PM
Last Post: justkeeplivin