Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Styling Help with Bad Haircut for Slicked Back Undercut
06-30-2015, 02:04 PM
Need Styling Help with Bad Haircut for Slicked Back Undercut
So I was growing out my hair to slick back but i cracked under pressure and decided to cut it lol, but i still wanted the slick back so i went for a undercut look. I basically told the barber cut the sides short and keep the top long. He funked up and now i got this crazy derriere haircut.

My bangs are long enough where i can pull down and it meets around the eyes. I still want the undercut look but right now i am hurting. I do a combover look but it looks weird. Any suggestions?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-30-2015, 03:13 PM
Your hair will grow fast into an Undercut and you will be able to slick it back!
First of all, calm down. What happened to you is very common in the barber world in that we get customers who are having second thoughts about getting a haircut and still go ahead because of peer pressure or because they are unsure of whether the final hairstyle will look good on them or not. Likewise, it's actually relatively common for a barber or hairdresser to screw up a haircut if he isn't sure what he's supposed to do. Bad men's haircuts are easy to fix, unlike bad women's haircuts.

The good news is that men's hair grows surprisingly fast on young adults (I take it that you're 22 as per your username). If you're desperate to speed up your hair growth, then take a look at our hair nutrition and hair supplements discussion for an idea of which are the best nutrients and supplements to use for optimal hair growth and speed. Cod liver oil, vitamin C, protein and zinc are your main potential allies if you want to grow your hair a little faster.

Depending on the "damage", you could be back to growing an epic slicked back Undercut in 6 to 8 weeks (or even less), but we need to see pictures of your current haircut. I've upgraded your account so that you can post pictures.

Simply go to a free image hosting website like IMGur (which you don't even need to register to use it for your pictures) and upload your pictures there and then embed them here. If you don't know how to embed them, then just post the link and one of the moderators will embed your pictures for you.

Without looking at your pictures, one thing that would solve your issue instantly is shaving th sides and back of your head in an Undershave or at least using the lowest hair clipper length possible that you can use with a hair clipper if you own one. That, or simply tell your barber to buzz the sides and back of your head with the blade alone (no guiding combs).

You're actually lucky in that the Undercut is a single-length haircut, so solving this problem could be as simply as going "bald" on the sides and back. So long as the hair on the top of your head remains untouched, you will be fine and the bad Undercut haircut is easy to fix.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-30-2015, 07:54 PM
RE: Need Styling Help with Bad Haircut for Slicked Back Undercut
[Image: 2wnn1wj.jpg]
07-01-2015, 07:50 AM
Your current haircut doesn't look bad at all, but you may want to even it out.
I can see that he has done a scissor taper and then a hair clipper taper. That's not too bad from the front as your picture looks. In fact, you could very well slick your hair back already, but the shorter hair locks on the sides which were cut with scissors may not follow the slicked back direction and instead stick up just like you have in the picture. This is why we always say in this forum to get an Undercut as sharp as possible with no blending or minimal blending so that you can then slick all the hair on the topic without issues.

Is there any chance that you could post a picture from the side and/or from the back? Also, what's the length of the hair on the front? It looks about 4 inches while the shorter hair on the top looks about 2 inches, so that difference can be easily fixed. You can see our male hair length guide for reference on the different types of hair lengths for men.

Lastly, can you let us know again what is the issue that you aren't happy with? As far as I can see, your current haircut looks hip and cool; it may not be a textbook Undercut, but it looks sharp and polished. You could easily grow your hair longer with such a setup for a pseudo slicked-back Undercut. In any case, a picture of the sides and back of your head would help more in seeing the complete issue.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
07-01-2015, 10:41 AM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2015 10:46 AM by Breezy22.)
It looks good from the front but for some reason the sides do not sit well with me. The length of the hair on the front is about 4 inches and the shorter hair on top is roughly 2.5 inches .

[Image: 2nk3t6g.jpg]

[Image: wbaurp.jpg]

[Image: 2e6eypg.jpg]
07-01-2015, 11:33 AM
Ah yes now that you posted the side and back pictures we can see the issue. Like it was posted earlier the front looks good but I don't know what the heck was your barber thinking if you told him that you wanted an undercut.

You also seem to have the disconnected haircut line way too high for an undercut which compounds the problem. The disconnected haircut line should sit at the temples in an undercut haircut. Why your barber went further up... I've no idea mate but an undercut haircut is easy enough for just about any barber including trainees. You've got a short hair clipper taper which is not an undercut and I've talked in the past about the difference between a taper haircut and an undercut haircut as you can read in that link and which will help you to understand how an undercut is supposed to look.

This is how edgy and sharp the disconnected haircut line of the undercut should look. You can have some slight blending and tapering right on the line but that's about it. The second picture is actually more of a fade haircut on the sides but just focus on the line dividing the short hair from the longer hair as that's what you want in an undercut.

[Image: yIfwcg0.jpg]

[Image: CxABfZx.jpg]

If you want some really sharp examples of the undercut, then see the pictures in the man bun undercut guide as the long hair on the top with the undercut hair on the sides and back really illustrates how sharp the contrast must be in the undercut haircut.

Ok so if you came to my barbershop with this mess and asked me how to go about regaining an undercut I would tell you the following. First you need to gain length on the shorter hair at the top top. The perfect hair length for the undercut is between four to six inches which is about ten to fifteen centimetres of hair length if you use the metric system.

Your hair grows at about half an inch per month or one centimetre per month so you need to get all your hair on the top to at least four inches, all of it. So you need an extra inch and a half to be able to get a nice and sharp slicked back undercut. We are look at about three months worth of waiting then.

I cannot see the lines of the haircut very well anyway but your haircut looks 'different'. What I'm saying is that it isn't an undercut but it has a hip vibe like our admin said earlier. So instead of cutting your hair to regrow it evenly, just continue growing your hair from your current uneven length.

Once the hair that is now two inches and a half gets to four inches, then you cut the longer hair to four inches. The hair that is right now four inches would be five inches and a half, so just go to the barber and get it cut down to four inches so that all of your hair on the top is at the same four inches of hair length.

Since your hair is tapered everywhere I would suggest that you keep getting the same haircut on the sides and back that your barber gave you. You basically got a short hair clipper taper cut, so just stay with that haircut for the next three months of hair growing. Re-visit the barbershop for a new hair clipper taper cut every two weeks if possible. Don't delay it any longer than a month as otherwise the haircut will be messed up even more.

You're looking to end up with some kind of hair style that resembles this real slicked back undercut hairstyle.

[Image: eZoa3GE.jpg]

Mate the name of the game right now is patience. Your haircut doesn't look that bad even from the sides although I can tell that the cut quality is not good at all. I would suggest that you find a new barber or hairdresser if you want to get a real undercut. If it helps, many barbers and hairdressers confuse a short taper cut like you have with the undercut, so it's a common mistake but it's a mistake that tells you who is a good barber or hairdresser and who isn't.

Wait and re-buzz the sides and back every two to three weeks. You'll get it all sorted in three months so it's worth waiting! Smile
07-01-2015, 09:55 PM
Thank you guys for both of your insight. Deff never going to that barber again. One more question and it's how do I style the cut for the mean time until I get the correct length for the undercut?
07-02-2015, 08:56 AM
Style your hair in a messy hairstyle, a Brush Up hairstyle or put it into a Quiff!
Since you have straight hair, you can pretty much do any kind of hairstyling for the top. However, the shorter hair on the front, like we've pointed out, will mess up your hair slicking if you want to get a flat hairstyle.

I would recommend that you use some hair wax and style your hair with a messy look. Get one of these Gatsby reworkable hair waxes in the list of that linked post and style your hair up and messy. Use your fingers only to mess up and tousle your hair. If you're in the United Kingdom, then see this other list of Gatsby hair waxes for the same Gatsby waxes listed in the prior linked list but this list has different UK sellers of those Gatsby waxes at low prices.

If you have a hair dryer, you can get a cool "big-hair" effect if you want more volume for you messy hairstyle. If you don't have a hair dryer already and you want to consider getting one, then see our men's hair dryers discussion for a list of great hair dryers for men.

As your hair is quite asymmetric and seems to have been cut in a choppy style, then the best hairstyle for you is a messy hairstyle which can be as messy as your creativity yields and our messy hairstyles guide in the link has a lot of hairstyle pictures for inspiration.

Any other kinds of up-do hairstyles will also work like the Brush Up hairstyle or a Quiff hairstyle. Essentially, just keep your hair up and vertical so that the shorter hair on the sides doesn't break your hairstyle's aesthetics.

03-09-2016, 04:03 PM
Sorry to bump an old thread but after days of searching online for advice on my undercut, I came across this thread and my situation sounds almost exactly as the OP's. The only difference is I cut my own hair and left the top alone.

I'm trying to learn how to cut my own hair and have a pretty nice Wahl Super Taper with various cutting guides. Normally I give myself a buzz cut for efficiency but wanted to try an undercut.
I shaved the sides to 6mm (in case I really messed up and had to regrow) and left the top alone, which is 3". I should have waited longer but didn't want to trim anything.

I think I cut too far up the back of my head. I was watching a self-haircut guide on YouTube, it seemed easy enough to replicate it but I've tried both Murray's pomade and Hanz de Fuko Modify pomade to style my hair but it still looks off. I have pictures to upload if I may.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Undercut hairstyle with longer sides to stop Asian hair from sticking out? pt3407 0 31 Yesterday 05:52 AM
Last Post: pt3407
  Side part slick back Keith_H21 0 205 11-01-2016 07:50 PM
Last Post: Keith_H21
  I need help with wearing my hair back. daily_aenima 0 149 11-01-2016 02:45 PM
Last Post: daily_aenima
  Help regarding a haircut (undercut) zorrocat1 0 286 10-30-2016 05:26 AM
Last Post: zorrocat1