Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Advice On What Product To Use For Long Straight Hair
07-22-2015, 09:46 AM
Need Advice On What Product To Use For Long Straight Hair
Long story short, for about a decade, I always had a very short buzz cut. Recently I decided to grow out my hair and try something new and my hair is currently about 6 inches long. I have tried using multiple kinds of gel to achieve the look I want but have had no success, because it just makes my hair look wet and greasy. I have read through the forum and what I have concluded is that pomade is likely my answer but I worry it may not have the holding strength I need.

My hair is straight, not thick but also not very thin and it can get quite frizzy out of the shower. A lot of the time I just wear a hat to flatten and hold my hair back as I like it, but it has a messy, careless look to it. I would post pictures of what I am aiming for and what mine looks like but I don't have permission to post pictures. I want the look that Bradley Cooper has, Charlie Hunnam or Colin Farrell in True Detective. Kind of like slicked back but more free and natural looking.

Any advice on what I should use and/or methods to achieve it would be greatly appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-28-2015, 06:31 PM
RE: Need Advice On What Product To Use For Long Straight Hair
Looking to acquire this same look. Hopefully someone chimes in.
07-30-2015, 08:39 AM
The product for the hairstyle of Colin Farrell in True Detective is a styling cream!
By far, the best hair product for long hair is a styling cream. It doesn't matter whether you have straight hair or curly hair; a styling cream will kill the frizz and give your long mane a natural gloss.

The only problem with (good) styling creams is that their holding strength is low. Having said this, the hairstyle of Colin Farrell in True Detective is either a causal slicked back style or a middle-parted curtains hairstyle which benefits the most from styling creams.

To illustrate the hairstyle that you're after, here are some pictures of Colin Farrell's hairstyle in True Detective. My advice continues below the pictures so keep on reading!

[Image: 619c4ff4ca3f8ee00b706083e91f2f5c.jpg]

[Image: 90f945d0d8a5ed29e7c5a603b9e91a2f.jpg]

[Image: 528a1c1366d610f62a9839c818c510fd.jpg]

The hair of Colin Farrell in True Detective hangs low in a curtained style or is slicked back casually in what we call a modern slicked back hairstyle.

The hairstyle of Colin Farrell is similar to the hairstyle of Charlie Hunnam as Jax Teller. For that hair style of Jax Teller, styling creams were also rightly recommended, which goes to show how useful styling creams can be. They provide that natural gloss that pomades and hair gels cannot reproduce; not to mention the unique anti-frizz properties of styling creams when compared to other hair styling products for men!

With regards to which hairstyling cream to buy, have a look at our list of recommended hair products for men and browse down a little (within the first post) to the section labelled as "Best hair cream or styling cream". We continuously update this list with the best men's hair products, and that particular styling cream is an excellent one to go with if you want to style your long straight mane in a curtained style or a slicked back style like Colin Farrell or Jax Teller.

If the above styling cream is too expensive, then head over to this linked list of hair products for Leonardo DiCaprio's hairstyles and click on the styling cream recommended for the curtained hairstyle as that styling cream is cheaper that the previous one but is still a pretty good one.

Either of the recommended styling creams in the links above will get you the frizz-free hair and long hairstyle that you're after. In the case that you'd like to have a stronger hold for your slicked back hair while keeping the moisturizing effect and anti-frizz effect of the styling cream, then get the Layrite pomade that you will find in this review of the Layrite water-based pomade that was reviewed and posted by Jurgen (one of our forum moderators).

This recommended Layrite pomade would be used if you want to keep your long hair slicked back tighter and flatter so that it doesn't move or hang down on your face. Ideally and if you can, buy both the styling cream (whichever of the two styling creams that fits your budget) and the Layrite pomade. That way, you will be able to wear your hair in a more-casual style like Colin Farrell and Charlie Hunnam or wear your hair tighter and flatter for a classic slicked back hair style.

Lastly, to give you an idea of the casual slicked back style of Charlie Hunnam as Jax Teller, here's a picture of his long hair slicked back. I actually have a feeling that you have his same hair type since you mention having some frizz, which is a sign of having wavy hair (or between straight hair and wavy hair, which we still classify as wavy hair).

[Image: a2da76950fda0a5fb0cbd94a50b33d35.jpg]

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
08-12-2015, 11:06 AM
Informative reply, dude!

Wonder if you can help me, my hair is approaching shoulder length and I can't figure out which product(s) are needed in order to hold it still with a wet look effect.

Best example of what I'm trying to achieve would probably be something along the lines of Radamel Falcao (footballer):

[Image: 1HT0mwQ.jpg]

Wetting the hair is easy enough to mimic this at first but it soon dries and returns to normal.

The only way I can get my hair looking like this is to soak it with water... This only lasts a short while, however, before it's dry again.

Have you any idea what product(s) are needed to achieve this look?

Thanks
08-14-2015, 12:16 PM
(08-12-2015 11:06 AM)tbcam88 Wrote:  The only way I can get my hair looking like this is to soak it with water... This only lasts a short while, however, before it's dry again.

Have you any idea what product(s) are needed to achieve this look?

Thanks

I replied to another thread that you created asking this same question. My advice is to use a hairstyling cream or a leave-in conditioner so as to weigh your hair down like the hair of Radamel Falcao.

Long hair will not always fall down flat like that especially if you don't have long straight hair. If you search the forum you will learn that Radamel Falcao's hair is curly and not straight. He just straightens his hair with a relaxer. Just something worth saying if you're looking to get his same hairstyle.

The best men's hair products to weigh down long hair are styling creams and leave-in conditioners. For some great styling creams, go with the styling creams recommended above in the thread. Those are the same hairstyling creams that I recommended to you in your other thread. Choose either of them as was recommended above as they're both good styling creams, only that one is more expensive than the other. The price is justified though so if you can afford it, get the more expensive styling cream.

A styling cream for long hair will give you some natural shine and sleek. If instead you would rather have your long hair hanging down naturally and simply looking better than they do normally without any extra sheen or sleek, then go with a good leave-in conditioner.

The great thing about this forum is that it is loaded with lists of great hair products and leave-in conditioners are not the exception. See this list of men's leave-in conditioners for a list of four great leave-in conditioners that will help you to weigh down your long hair. Those four leave-in conditioners are also priced differently so that you can afford any of those four leave-in conditioners even if your budget for hair products is low.

Like I said in the other thread too, you can combine both the styling cream and the leave-in conditioner if you find that either of them cannot get your hair to fully hang down. The ultimate trick is to combine a leave-in conditioner with a styling cream to get the long hair to finally fall down and hang down flat like in the picture of Radamel Falcao's long hair.

First coat your damp hair with the leave-in conditioner and then coat your hair with the styling cream. This will trap all the moisture in your damp hair (extra weight) while adding a layer of dense product from both the leave-in conditioner and the styling cream (even more extra weight).

By the way always use a leave-in conditioner and a styling cream on damp hair, even if you're only using one of these two hair products. Damp hair is wet hair that isn't dripping water.
08-14-2015, 12:34 PM
Thanks again, Panther! You can delete our posts on this thread if you like since they turned out to be duplicates... Cheers!
01-26-2016, 05:51 PM
Tongue RE: Need Advice On What Product To Use For Long Straight Hair
s23.postimg.org/lpm15bwpn/image.jpg [Mod, please embed image, site won't allow me to do so]

Would the method recommended above apply for the likes of this also? It looks as if maybe a wax or grease product of sorts has been used to achieve that kind of shine/hold...

What do you guys think?
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Restylable, matte, water-based product for fine, medium-length hair nysharps 0 59 11-29-2016 12:08 AM
Last Post: nysharps
  Which product makes thick hair not clump together? Zatem 0 84 11-11-2016 01:56 PM
Last Post: Zatem
  Looking for new products, requiring some advice (pics at the end) Magikarp_Approves 0 84 11-06-2016 04:05 PM
Last Post: Magikarp_Approves
  What is the best product for short/faded hairstyle? willhtun 1 350 07-21-2016 09:50 AM
Last Post: willhtun