Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Natural hair black guy wanting to grow his curls long
06-28-2015, 11:22 AM
Natural hair black guy wanting to grow his curls long
Hey there folks my name is Max, I'm 28 and I'm a black guy with kinky curly hair. I have been growing my curls since January as part of my resolution lol before that I was just into the fade cuts and barbershop haircuts so I kept my hair very short.

I started growing my curls after reading a book titled *The Curly Hair Book -- Or how men can now rock their waves, coils and kinks*. Great book of a guy who also grew his curls out naturally and all that. MY intention is to grow out my curls for as long as I see and keeping it natural so no relaxing. I may get some s-curls done if my curls get too out of hand as this is the first time I'm growing out my afro.

I kinda know that using relaxers and s-curls is frowned by the natural movement but I have sen this forum is open about it and non judgmental. I'm learning a sI go all about my kinky curls with reading some blogs and using the book as a reference for my journey. I found this forum a few weeks ago and it's the best site I would imagine for natural hair or just for men's hair for that matter. Great place full of knowledgeable folks. We black guys have it a little difficult with growing out our curls cause any time you go to a black barbershop you tend to get some hard time with the barbers there saying growing an afro is for women and that lol my current barber is like that but he's bald so I guess he's giving me rats for wanting to grow long hair.

So that's that about me. I hope to get to know some of you and get some interesting conversations on natural hair and growing it out as I go along. I've seen many of you are in the same position so the more the merrier. Does anyone know if the guy who wrote that curly hair book posts in this forum by any chance? I know he has some blogs but I was wondering if he would also be in this forum too. Big fan of his site, called manly curls.

I cannot post images and I would like to do so just for some hairstyle questions and maybe also have an avatar, is it possible if any mod can let me have those forum privileges pls?

Thanks for reading y'all!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-28-2015, 12:02 PM
Growing your kinky curly mane as a natural hair dude will be an enriching experience!
Hello and welcome to our forum, Max!

Yes, we have a strong and growing natural hair community with guys with all kinds of hair types and from every race growing their manes naturally without doing any perming or structure modifications. We have a dedicated Natural Hair forum section where you can find plenty of threads for natural hair advice, pictures and inspiration.

I know what you mean about the whole thing of using non natural hair products being frowned upon by the hardcore natural hair crowd. Many times, we humans tend to look at things on the extreme ends without agreeing to a point that benefits everyone. The same occurs in other industries like the fitness industry or the online gaming industry.

Incidentally, the people who are quite vocal about all this tend to be women who did their big chop and are growing their teenie weenie Afros with just some oils and that's all. It's very easy to manage kinky curly hair with just some oils when you only have a couple of inches of length on top of your head, but once you start hitting the longer lengths of kinky curly hair, it can become too intensive to groom your hair daily so using products that aren't strictly 100% natural becomes a logical choice.

In places like New York or George they seem to really stick to the natural hair label but the few natural hair guys that I've met in real life (I am involved in the industry in my profession) plus the many natural hair men that we have in our forum are quite easy-going on the type of products they use to get their kinks and coils looking great.

So, "relax" (no pun intended!) and just use whatever hair product you feel like to be happy about your hair. You are not going to get any bad vibes in this forum and we encourage the discussion of all kind of topics, as controversial as they may be.

About the author of The Curly Hair Book, his name is Rogelio and he posts in this forum. He used to post much more in the earlier days of this forum as he helped us with spreading the word. Nowadays, he doesn't post often but you may see him once in a while in the forum helping someone out. If you open a thread asking for his advice, I'll message him to see if he can offer some help, although he is known for only giving advice in public so that everyone benefits from his knowledge. He also wrote another book called The Men's Hair Book and he is indeed the owner of which is the best website for curly men, aside from our forum and our Curly Hair forum section! Big Grin

It's great to have another natural hair guy joining our community so welcome again and I hope to see you here. I've also upgraded your account as we do for all new members! Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-28-2015, 01:26 PM
RE: Natural hair black guy wanting to grow his curls long
Thanks for the welcoming post, it means a lot to me as I thought that I would be alone in my journey to growing out my 'fro. This forum is spearheading the movement for natural men's hair so it's an honor to be here and be able to chat and get help from the pros here.

I have been a fan of Rogelio through his book and manly curls website as he was the only guy talking about natural hair many years ago. He even did some kind of challenge where he didn't use shampoo or hair products for lots of weeks at a time to prove that natural hair with no products can be done for curly hair. I don't remember where on his site it was but if you search for a hair challenge on the manly curls website you will find it.

My mane is kinky curly and his mane is coiled curly but the hair care and the hair grooming and all the tricks with hairstyles are the same so I've been following him since I found out about his website from my girlfriend lol and then I bought his first book and from there it has been the natural hair lifestyle for me. Oh shame on him not posting here no more, yeah I asked a few questions on his blog and he was very helpful but maybe you guys can convince him to post more in this forum?? Big Grin he has so many tricks from all the tests he does as his own lab rat that he always has a solution. But enough with my man crush on him...

I posted a question already about some funky braids hairstyle for natural hair that I saw on another guy the other day. It would be awesome if I could get some kind of reply to it as I would really like to consider that type of braiding hairstyle when my locks get longer. I'm glad I finally joined the forum and I've been reading all threads like a maniac lol

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Long Hair Male looking for hair care info before shaving locks - Hey xbadgerx 0 111 07-18-2016 02:34 AM
Last Post: xbadgerx
  Newbie Wants Long Hair ImNotSureIfiCanGrow 0 234 12-06-2015 07:46 PM
Last Post: ImNotSureIfiCanGrow
  Long forehead Kasëm 0 274 11-29-2015 07:11 PM
Last Post: Kasëm
Bug Want to grow hair long but have a balding spot, is this baldness? bizoo90 4 659 10-15-2015 02:10 PM
Last Post: Jessie