Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Natural dandruff remedies or treatment?
12-01-2014, 05:15 PM
Natural dandruff remedies or treatment?
I wasn't sure where in the forum to post this so I will do with this natural hair section. Are there natural dandruff remedies or a natural dandruff treatment that is effective?

I read the related threads in the forum and while the answers are really good and useful I think it would be great to see some suggestion on natural remedies or alternatives to fighting dandruff. I also include diet, nutrition or supplements for dandruff. Not just random herbs made into a liquid and thrown on the scalp hoping for a miracle which incidentally is what I have read in other - alternative medicine - websites as a cure for dandruff. Little do they know that dandruff has no cure and those selling cures are nothing but shills.

OK back to the topic so are there any natural remedies for dandruff?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2014, 10:31 AM
RE: Natural dandruff remedies or treatment?
In some cases anti dandruff shampoos can be effective. Anti-dandruff shampoos should contain tea tree oil, salicylic acid and sulfur and zinc pyrithione. Anti-dandruff shampoo can be quite drying to the hair and should be used on alternate days.

Massaging the scalp with table salt can lift dandruff scales before shampooing. After shampooing massage the scalp with half a cup with half a cup of apple cider vinegar. Leave the vinegar on - do not rinse it.

Another after shampoo leave in treatment consists of boiling one cup of water with two tablespoons of dried thyme for five minutes. Let the mixture cool, strain, then massage onto hair and scalp. Do not rinse.

Diet plays a role in treating dandruff. A diet that include Omega 3 fatty acids, zinc, and vitamins E and B help ward off flakes. Try to avoid excess sugar and yeast. If you cannot get sufficient amounts of vitamins through your diet alone, then you can use nutrition supplements. There is this hair supplements thread that discusses nutrition for good hair and the same nutrients recommended for healthy hair are the same for treating and managing dandruff.

Stress is another factor that contributes to dandruff. Stress has negative effects in all parts of the body and shows on any and all parts of the skin, including the scalp. Reduce your stress, reduce your dandruff!

Try to avoid shampoos formulated with harsh detergents such as Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is a foaming compound that can be very irritating. Dandruff tends to be worse when using harsh products. Also, limit the use of styling products. Many ingredients in these products tend to irritate dandruff
12-02-2014, 10:44 AM
Beer and lots of it. Works even better when drank and poured on the scalp at the same time.
Anton approves this message.
12-02-2014, 02:37 PM
ime the right nutrition has done wonders for my hair and nutrition is so underrated for good hair. I can't say about nutrition and dandruff but my hair has improved so much as soon as i started taking cod liver oil... i kid you not. That stuff is like magic to make my hair thicker and shinier. I read in the mens hair book that cod liver oil and omega 3 fats are related to sebum although i don't remember the exact wording in the book. But i give cod liver oil a +1 for awesomeness in restoring health and aesthetics to my hair.

So i would think that anything that improves hair like that would also work for dandruff.
12-02-2014, 04:57 PM
Here are some more natural dandruff remedies. There's plenty to try although if you need a fast solution, it is best that you just get one of these dandruff shampoos and then consider natural remedies.

One natural remedy for dandruff comes from India and has been used regularly to great effect. It requires a mixture of curded milk, honey, and lemon. Two tablespoons of curd mixed with three drops of honey and the juice of one lemon can be applied to the scalp and massaged in. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes and then shampoo away.

Coconut oil has been used by some who say that pure coconut oil shows almost immediate results that last up to six months. Coconut oil can be purchased in pure form from health store, vitamin shops and Amazon (the latter is probably your best pick to buy high quality coconut oil). The oil should be applied to the scalp in saturation and massaged in with the fingertips. For thick hair it can be brushed in as needed. Let sit for 15 minutes and then run under hot water for another 15 minutes. Once finished you should make sure that you shampoo the oil as otherwise it will just site there.

Another home remedy for dandruff is a mixture of olive oil and lime juice. One tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil can be mixed with one teaspoon of fresh lime juice and applied to the scalp. Massage in well and cover with a scarf to prevent getting the oil on other materials in the home and help keep it on your head. Leave it in the hair overnight and shampoo clean in the morning.

Tea tree oil has been used in Australia and around the world for years as a remedy to scalp and skin problems. Essential oil of tea tree can be bought at health stores and many stores that sell a wide variety of vitamins. It can be bought already mixed into a shampoo, the best of which is Paul Mitchell's tea tree oil shampoo and conditioner. The essential oil can also be mixed into your regular shampoo. Use one teaspoon per application. Let it sit for 15 minutes on the scalp before rinsing.

Listerine, while not really a natural remedy has been used to treat dandruff as well. After a regular shampoo, saturate the hair with Listerine and leave in for 10 minutes or if it begin to sting, sooner. Wash out again with shampoo.
12-05-2014, 11:34 AM
I posted the following natural dandruff products as alternatives to shampoos in another thread and also in the main thread for dandruff advice. I think the natural approach can be of lot of use for many guys out there who are choosing healthier habits and that includes their hair care and skin care.

Natural products like vinegar can be used as dandruff treatments, without the need of the harsher anti-dandruff shampoos and medicated shampoos. I mean, these types of shampoos do have their place but if you can have an alternative as a natural remedy, then why not also try it.

For starters, dandruff is an excessive amount of flaking of dead skin cells from the scalp. It can also sometimes be called scurf. A small amount of flaking is quite common. When this problem goes out of control, it becomes rather embarrassing, as it starts to show up on the head and also on the clothes we wear. Try these home-made tips to keep the dandruff at bay.

Fenugreek:

Fenugreek seeds are easily available at the grocery stores. Soak a cupful of fenugreek seeds in water overnight. Grind the soaked seeds to a fine paste and apply directly to the scalp. Keep this on for about 30 minutes and rinse with lukewarm water first and then shampoo as usual. Try this method once every 15 days for 2 months, and see no dandruff anywhere near to you.

Sour curd:

Keep the curd outside the fridge for a few hours so that it becomes sour. Take a small bowl and mix the curd with juice of one whole lemon/lime. Apply this mix to the scalp, keep it on for 15-20 minutes and wash it off first with water and then shampoo as usual.

Vinegar:

Mix cider vinegar with equal quantity of water and apply to scalp with a cotton wool, keep it on for a few minutes and wash off. Vinegar added to rinsing water after shampooing will also take away dandruff.

Hot oil massage:

Mix almond oil and coconut oil in equal parts and heat it up. Take a cotton wool and apply to scalp. Gently massage with fingertips, spreading the oil to the entire scalp. This helps in improving the blood circulation and dislodges dirt and dandruff.

Green gram powder:

Mix two tablespoons of green gram powder with half a cup of sour curd. Apply this mix to the scalp twice a week and wash off. Green gram is also known as mung bean.

The best way to prevent dandruff buildup is to never let it build up! Wash hair regularly so that it always remains clean, so that there is no way dead skin can develop. Have a healthy diet. Include a lot of greens and fruits. Drink a lot of water. Avoid harsh and direct sunlight as much as possible. Avoid strong coffee/tea, excess meat, sugar, and pickle.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Natural Hair Uncontrollable Starlightwarden 0 227 08-09-2016 04:27 PM
Last Post: Starlightwarden
  Long Natural Hair with Fade Haircut or Short on the Sides - Best of Both Worlds MarkusAurelius 7 4,616 09-30-2015 06:04 PM
Last Post: MarkusAurelius
  Tips for Natural Hair Men on Styling, Hair Care and Haircuts Sunset 1 1,651 07-01-2015 10:13 AM
Last Post: Freddie
  Natural hairstyle name of this type of braids for men? Africa 2 2,317 07-01-2015 09:40 AM
Last Post: Sunset