Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My journey
04-16-2014, 10:43 AM
My journey
Hello , So I have started this because I have started looking at different haircuts and hairstyles , And I have also recently started styling my hair so would like to have one post where I can ask questions and get feedback.

My haircut / Hairstyle

So to give a little information about me and my haircut , I am 18 , Currently in school (Finishing in a few months) , I have a round face shape , Straight hair and I currently have short hair length as I have just had it cut.

(I cannot post the link as I do not have 50 Posts , Hopefully a mod can help with this?)

That is the best image I can find to show what kind of hairstyle I am going for currently , Or atleast this is the one I go with because I am new to styling so not really sure on what else I could try and this was the result when I first tried to style my hair so I have just stuck with this.

Products I use

So currently I am using products from a brand "Toni and guy" , I use their 2-in1 shampoo and conditioner as well as their "Mens styling fibre" to style my hair , I have read Shane88s journey on here and he has a good routine to keep his hair healthy , Which is something I would also like to do as currently when I wake up in the morning I wash my hair with the shampoo and conditioner , Style it (Should my hair be wet / damp when I style it?) and then wash my hair before bed and this is what I do every day.

What I aim to achieve

So with this post I am hoping to be able to get some suggestions of what haircuts/hairstyles to try out and find one that I can stick with because I don't tend to change my hairstyles very regular and would like to find one that works well for me so I don't have to keep changing it.

Find a good routine so that I can keep my hair healthy and find products that are going to be good for me to use.

So any suggestions / feedback would be great.
Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-16-2014, 02:29 PM
RE: My journey
Jonny, I have enabled just now the posting of images for you, so you can post/embed your images.

Simply upload them to IMGur (no need to register, just upload straightaway), photobucket, IMGshack or any other image sharing site.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
04-25-2014, 07:06 AM
So has anyone got any advice for a routine to ensure my hair is at its best , What products to buy and when to use certain products , I know the Menshairbook provides details on this and hopefully I will be able to buy the book at some point but for right now I don't have money to spend on it (Though , Like I said I am planning too at some point).Im currently using the brand Toni and Guy like I said , Using styling fibre ( Is another product better , Eg - Gel or wax) for short to medium hair (Styled kind of like a faux hawk) and what brands should I be looking at?
04-26-2014, 10:55 AM
Jonny, we have a dedicated thread to the best hair products for men (click the link). In that thread, we give you some of the best brands/products that you can get. The links go to Amazon and to the Amazon distributor that has good reputation and service, so by using that thread alone, you will be getting some awesome products to go with. Actually, I just remembered that you are based in the United Kingdom, so please do also read the last part of my post (the P.S. part).

The issue here would be to identify which product types (e.g. pomade, wax, gel etc) you'd like to use, and not what brands, since the brands you can easily pick from the beast hair products for men thread.

You should be able to post images now, and I encourage you to post at least a picture of yourself so that we can see what you're working with (i.e. your hair foundation). Just upload a picture to imgur.com and embed it here. If you are not sure on how to embed/post the picture, then simply upload the picture on imgur.com and post the URL address of where the picture is, and I will grab its correct URL and embed it.

Your hair should always be DAMP when styling. It should not be wet (i.e. dripping water_ and it should not be fully dried (i.e. with a towel). There are some times when you can also dry style (i.e. style hair that is dried) but damp styling is always a great option, so go with it.

About shampooing, you would do better with a single shampoo product and a single conditioner product. Again, have a look at the hair products for men thread above as we also recommend a conditioner and shampoo there. However, you can do for a couple of days/weeks with your current 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner until your order arrives or you go to a store to buy the products. Start by only shampooing every other day, so you shampoo one day, then the next day you don't shampoo, then on the 3rd day you shampoo again. That's a good frequency to start with.

In terms of styling products, I would advise you to get a hair wax, pomade, hair gel and a styling cream. A hair dryer would also be a very nice addition, but the good ones are not cheap. All of these products are also on the hair products for men thread, so browse each one and buy them if possible as soon as possible. Having a product of each of the ones I have mentioned, will give you a lot of variety in your hairstyling, and you can then select which product/s you like the most.

All of the above is in The Men's Hair Book and there is a lot more in the book. The book is excellent as an encyclopedia and as something to keep for reference although we can certainly help you here in the forum for now. It's just that it is very convenient to have a huge amount of useful information in a single book and clearly organized like Rogelio did with The Men's Hair Book.

So try to post at least a picture so we can see what you have and mention any hairstyles that inspire you (just go around the forum and mention any picture or thread you like).

P.S: Indeed, I just remembered that you are in the UK, and the hair products for men thread is for Amazon.com products shipped from the United States. You can still get your hair products from Amazon.com and many times they are much cheaper than the same products at Amazon.co.uk, even with shipping included!

However, if you want to see the same products I have mentioned in this post on Amazon.co.uk, then go to the Joey Essex hairstyles thread and browse down to the Hair Products section recommended for Joey Essex's hairstyles as in that section, Jurgen posted the links to the UK Amazon distributors for each of the products (wax, pomade, styling cream, mousse and hair dryer). The only one left is hair gel but I can ask Barber for a good distributor for gel as he is our UK moderator and has a lot of experience with UK mens hair products Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
04-26-2014, 01:32 PM
(04-26-2014 10:55 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Jonny, we have a dedicated thread to the best hair products for men (click the link). In that thread, we give you some of the best brands/products that you can get. The links go to Amazon and to the Amazon distributor that has good reputation and service, so by using that thread alone, you will be getting some awesome products to go with. Actually, I just remembered that you are based in the United Kingdom, so please do also read the last part of my post (the P.S. part).

The issue here would be to identify which product types (e.g. pomade, wax, gel etc) you'd like to use, and not what brands, since the brands you can easily pick from the beast hair products for men thread.

You should be able to post images now, and I encourage you to post at least a picture of yourself so that we can see what you're working with (i.e. your hair foundation). Just upload a picture to imgur.com and embed it here. If you are not sure on how to embed/post the picture, then simply upload the picture on imgur.com and post the URL address of where the picture is, and I will grab its correct URL and embed it.

Your hair should always be DAMP when styling. It should not be wet (i.e. dripping water_ and it should not be fully dried (i.e. with a towel). There are some times when you can also dry style (i.e. style hair that is dried) but damp styling is always a great option, so go with it.

About shampooing, you would do better with a single shampoo product and a single conditioner product. Again, have a look at the hair products for men thread above as we also recommend a conditioner and shampoo there. However, you can do for a couple of days/weeks with your current 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner until your order arrives or you go to a store to buy the products. Start by only shampooing every other day, so you shampoo one day, then the next day you don't shampoo, then on the 3rd day you shampoo again. That's a good frequency to start with.

In terms of styling products, I would advise you to get a hair wax, pomade, hair gel and a styling cream. A hair dryer would also be a very nice addition, but the good ones are not cheap. All of these products are also on the hair products for men thread, so browse each one and buy them if possible as soon as possible. Having a product of each of the ones I have mentioned, will give you a lot of variety in your hairstyling, and you can then select which product/s you like the most.

All of the above is in The Men's Hair Book and there is a lot more in the book. The book is excellent as an encyclopedia and as something to keep for reference although we can certainly help you here in the forum for now. It's just that it is very convenient to have a huge amount of useful information in a single book and clearly organized like Rogelio did with The Men's Hair Book.

So try to post at least a picture so we can see what you have and mention any hairstyles that inspire you (just go around the forum and mention any picture or thread you like).

P.S: Indeed, I just remembered that you are in the UK, and the hair products for men thread is for Amazon.com products shipped from the United States. You can still get your hair products from Amazon.com and many times they are much cheaper than the same products at Amazon.co.uk, even with shipping included!

However, if you want to see the same products I have mentioned in this post on Amazon.co.uk, then go to the Joey Essex hairstyles thread and browse down to the Hair Products section recommended for Joey Essex's hairstyles as in that section, Jurgen posted the links to the UK Amazon distributors for each of the products (wax, pomade, styling cream, mousse and hair dryer). The only one left is hair gel but I can ask Barber for a good distributor for gel as he is our UK moderator and has a lot of experience with UK mens hair products Smile

Ok thanks for the reply , Ive looked at the thread and I will try picking up the shampoo and conditioner atleast , The only thing is that they looked quite expensive ( Though I did look at them in dollars so may be reasonably priced when its converted , Ill have a look at in a min)

For styling the Styling fibre im using now im getting used to (It is the first styling product I have used) but I may try the Gatsby wax , Or the other wax you tried , As I seen reviews of the Gatsby one and heard its really good , Again though to buy all the products and things right away isn't possible as im a student so don't have the money to buy them all at once , I am thinking of buying he book you suggested now though as I do have some spare money I can use to buy it.

Right now I would like to setup a good routine using good products to ensure my hair is healthy , Then I would like to try out a range of haircuts and hairstyles so any suggestions would be great though one I have seen recently that I think looks good is this one.

[Image: 4e57d44ca8d1c8b8c620038ca109a757.png]

From what I can gather and from talking with Shane88 , Its a buzz cut with a brushed forward style and think it looks pretty good , And Im not sure but looks like it could be quite a versatile haircut?
05-02-2014, 12:13 PM
So I have bought the book you suggested , Found out about the 1 on / 1 off method , And though im not a big fan of not shampooing (Ive tried it before) , I am going to try it if it does improve your hairs health , Im also ordering new products sometime this month and aim to hopefully set up a hair routine and get my hair as healthy as I can by the end of this month and then continue using that routine / products then.

As well as the routine I also want to find the right haircut so ive looked at quite a few and wanted to list them here to get some advice / tips on the order I should get the haircuts.

Mod edit: Pictures embedded by moderator

[Image: 66ee1ee7801d72b394cefedbd5a8b908.png]

[Image: bd55f0f2dfdeb10f5284a7cea811ef12.png]

[Image: e4cfb67db1c25aafc94a670118dca1d0.png]

[Image: c95e202aeffe4dc68a92506478b67294.png]

[Image: 04301b046ecfdc647507debd10746d07.png]

Ill probably find some more and if so ill list them here but there's a some that I would like to try or at least a similar style.
05-02-2014, 01:50 PM
If you are doing the No Shampoo method you have to do it smart like Rogelio explains in lots of details in the book. Just stopping shampoo use will cause big issues so you have to do the weaning off smartly with the 2 week block periods per day off.

I have noticed you tend to post the text link of the images instead of embedding images. Can you embed images instead of posting the links per se like you done in your last post? this way it is easier for everyone to see the images you want us to see - in this case hairstyles.

I will embed the images for you but have a read thru our how to embed images guide so you can post them for your hairstyles. If you use Gyazo, in the 1st link, right click the image & select 'copy image URL' or 'copy image link' - or some text similar. Then click on the insert image icon & in this case you would put this url:

http://i.gyazo.com/66ee1ee7801d72b394cefedbd5a8b908.png

When you insert the image it will be surrounded by [img] [/img] which directly embeds the image so it looks like:

05-02-2014, 02:23 PM
(05-02-2014 01:50 PM)Jurgen Wrote:  If you are doing the No Shampoo method you have to do it smart like Rogelio explains in lots of details in the book. Just stopping shampoo use will cause big issues so you have to do the weaning off smartly with the 2 week block periods per day off.

I have noticed you tend to post the text link of the images instead of embedding images. Can you embed images instead of posting the links per se like you done in your last post? this way it is easier for everyone to see the images you want us to see - in this case hairstyles.

I will embed the images for you but have a read thru our how to embed images guide so you can post them for your hairstyles. If you use Gyazo, in the 1st link, right click the image & select 'copy image URL' or 'copy image link' - or some text similar. Then click on the insert image icon & in this case you would put this url:

http://i.gyazo.com/66ee1ee7801d72b394cefedbd5a8b908.png

When you insert the image it will be surrounded by [img] [/img] which directly embeds the image so it looks like:

Ok yeah will do , and yeah I am going to try and ease into the 1 off / 1 on method , Im going to start doing this when I recive my new products though as right now I use a 2-1 shampoo/conditioner and want to see the results combined with a new shampoo and conditioner that is suggested on this site.

Any suggestions on how I should go about getting the above hairstyles , Like should I go with the shortest one first and then grow my hair out , Trying each hairstyle on the way? , or grow my hair longer , Start off with the longest one and work down to the shortest haircut?
05-04-2014, 04:45 AM
Just found a hairstyle that I am interested in , I talked with TMHF before and he said an undercut would not suit my face shape , However I want that kind of hairstyle where the top is disconnected from the top , I can then have long on the top and style it in many ways while the sides are short and clean , Since I cant have the undercut (Im not sure if this is a undercut , Or if this would suit my face type) but I found a video suggestion on YT called (Im not going to link it) [Korean hair] Mens classy hairstyle celebrity hairstyle and then the first video , Would something like that be able to work for me?
05-06-2014, 09:30 AM
(05-04-2014 04:45 AM)Jonny Wrote:  Just found a hairstyle that I am interested in , I talked with TMHF before and he said an undercut would not suit my face shape , However I want that kind of hairstyle where the top is disconnected from the top , I can then have long on the top and style it in many ways while the sides are short and clean , Since I cant have the undercut (Im not sure if this is a undercut , Or if this would suit my face type) but I found a video suggestion on YT called (Im not going to link it) [Korean hair] Mens classy hairstyle celebrity hairstyle and then the first video , Would something like that be able to work for me?

Jonny, you're a trusted member by now, and I know for a fact that you know the rules. We do allow links and videos from non-staff members, but we ask you to let us know what it is, either via a PM, Contact Form or in the thread itself.

and we have a hairstyling video section, so feel free to post the link there, even better if you can embed it. I have seen your PM, so I will give you the embedding code so that the hair loads up on the thread.

Please go to the hairstyle videos section and open a thread there with the video (with the embedding code I am sending you now in a PM), mentioning what it is that you would like to emulate. Then just link from this thread to your thread on the video section.

In essence, Jonny, this thread we are on is your hub for the rest of the forum. Of course, try to post your hairstyling questions here, but any pictures or videos you see that you like, you can also post elsewhere in the appropriate sections of the forum, and we will help you with the advice.

05-06-2014, 09:34 AM
(05-06-2014 09:30 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(05-04-2014 04:45 AM)Jonny Wrote:  Just found a hairstyle that I am interested in , I talked with TMHF before and he said an undercut would not suit my face shape , However I want that kind of hairstyle where the top is disconnected from the top , I can then have long on the top and style it in many ways while the sides are short and clean , Since I cant have the undercut (Im not sure if this is a undercut , Or if this would suit my face type) but I found a video suggestion on YT called (Im not going to link it) [Korean hair] Mens classy hairstyle celebrity hairstyle and then the first video , Would something like that be able to work for me?

Jonny, you're a trusted member by now, and I know for a fact that you know the rules. We do allow links and videos from non-staff members, but we ask you to let us know what it is, either via a PM, Contact Form or in the thread itself.

and we have a hairstyling video section, so feel free to post the link there, even better if you can embed it. I have seen your PM, so I will give you the embedding code so that the hair loads up on the thread.

Please go to the hairstyle videos section and open a thread there with the video (with the embedding code I am sending you now in a PM), mentioning what it is that you would like to emulate. Then just link from this thread to your thread on the video section.

In essence, Jonny, this thread we are on is your hub for the rest of the forum. Of course, try to post your hairstyling questions here, but any pictures or videos you see that you like, you can also post elsewhere in the appropriate sections of the forum, and we will help you with the advice.

Ok will do , I know there is a section for videos of hairstyles but thought that was for posting tutorials and step-by-step guides for haircuts ,Where as I wanted to know if that hairstyle shown in the video would work for me.
05-06-2014, 09:43 AM
(05-06-2014 09:34 AM)Jonny Wrote:  Ok will do , I know there is a section for videos of hairstyles but thought that was for posting tutorials and step-by-step guides for haircuts ,Where as I wanted to know if that hairstyle shown in the video would work for me.

Well, your video is an interesting one and shows how to style a hybrid Quiff-Brush Up, so you will be posting a video tutorial anyway Smile And, as we always say in this forum, you can ask questions or post anywhere in the forum and about anything you want. So you are certainly welcome to post a thread where you have a video tutorial and you have a question or questions about it, even if it is only about the hairstyle itself and not the styling method.

P.S. Simple videos of celebrities that have good hair or of whom you like their hairstyles are also welcome. Anything to do with tutorials, inspiration, curious styling videos or videos using a technique/method or hairstyle that you like are welcome in that section (and any forum member with over 11 posts can post there, just ask us first which video it is you want to post).

05-06-2014, 11:54 AM
Ok I have posted the video now , I don't think I was the best one to post it as I don't have much information on the haircut or anything but maybe others will post in there with more information.

Do you think that hairstyle would suit a round face , If so or if I could get something similar then that's what I will go for when I next get my haircut.Im pretty sure one of the Gatsby waxes would be ok for styling it as I cant understand the guy in the video but im pretty sure he uses a wax?
06-23-2014, 02:08 PM
Ok so haven't posted on here for a while , I have decided to grow my hair over the next few months to try out more medium length hairstyles , Although I was looking at getting a smarter haircut right now (Though my hair is still quite short ) , I was thinking of trying bales side part.

I have looked at the video (I can link TMHF the video if you want to upload it to the forum) but the video title for those interested is Gareth Bale Hairstyle - How To - DreDrexler and really like the way this guy styled his hair , I would like to do the same though im not sure if my hair is long enough (Wondering if you can do it with shorter hair?) and also I have tried it (Without the hairdryer as I don't have one , He uses one in the video but do you need one?) and when I tried it , When I tried to brush it to the side like he has , My hair just went flat and looked awful.

Any help would be awesome , If I cannot do the hairstyle above , Was wondering if anyone had any another ideas of smartish hairstyles with shorter hair , As I have really been liking them recently - Like the side part as shown in the video and bales haircuts aswell as undercut slicked backs.

Thanks for any help.
06-25-2014, 11:58 AM
Jonny, post pictures of your hair here, as otherwise we are giving you blank advice. We need to know how your current hair looks. If you want to do a Gareth Bale "inspired" side part, then you will need clipped sides and back in either an Undercut or in a high fade of some sort. Without a really short cut on the sides and back, you won't get the shape of Gareth Bale's side part.

Ideally, yes, you should be using a hair dryer. We have talked about this before, and for volume, you just need to own a hair dryer as it makes the process way better and more aesthetic. I recall you had thick, high-density hair, so you can get away with it, though.

06-25-2014, 12:09 PM
(06-25-2014 11:58 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Jonny, post pictures of your hair here, as otherwise we are giving you blank advice. We need to know how your current hair looks. If you want to do a Gareth Bale "inspired" side part, then you will need clipped sides and back in either an Undercut or in a high fade of some sort. Without a really short cut on the sides and back, you won't get the shape of Gareth Bale's side part.

Ideally, yes, you should be using a hair dryer. We have talked about this before, and for volume, you just need to own a hair dryer as it makes the process way better and more aesthetic. I recall you had thick, high-density hair, so you can get away with it, though.

Ok I will try post pictures tonight , You say about an undercut or high fade ,Is a high fade similar to a taper haircut , Or would that work? , Im looking to go get my haircut tomorrow if needed , Though I don't think I have enough length (Im not getting the top done , Just the sides) and maybe if anything is needed to be done to the top to get it as a side part , But I will want to keep the length on the top as I think I would struggle to do the side part with my current length (But I think its possible) , Anymore off the top though and I don't think it would work , I will post pictures tonight and see what you think the best thing to do is.
06-25-2014, 12:52 PM
A high fade is a very fast taper haircut that ends very high on the head. A classic example of a high fade would be Brad Pitt's haircut during the 2014 Producers Guild Awards. Here are some pictures of the high fade haircut, so you get an idea of what it is. If you ask a barber for a high fade haircut, they will know what it is in 99% of cases, as a high fade is a classic barbershop haircut.

[Image: article-2542493-1AD132F800000578-36_634x842.jpg]

[Image: article-2542493-1AD1419F00000578-364_634x780.jpg]

[Image: Brad%2BPitt%2BSteve%2BMcQueen%2B25th%2BA...3P2_tl.jpg]

The, on the other hand, you have the Undercut which has no fading (or tapering). It's just a blunt one-length cut from below the horizontal temple line. There are quite a few Undercut pictures at the 2014 World Cup hairstyles thread, but here are some pictures of the Undercut:

[Image: mathieu-debuchy.jpg]

[Image: world-cup-20.jpg?w=500&h=743]

[Image: Alderweireld+ANP.JPG]

[Image: bale.jpg]

06-25-2014, 01:11 PM
(06-25-2014 12:52 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  A high fade is a very fast taper haircut that ends very high on the head. A classic example of a high fade would be Brad Pitt's haircut during the 2014 Producers Guild Awards. Here are some pictures of the high fade haircut, so you get an idea of what it is. If you ask a barber for a high fade haircut, they will know what it is in 99% of cases, as a high fade is a classic barbershop haircut.

[Image: article-2542493-1AD132F800000578-36_634x842.jpg]

[Image: article-2542493-1AD1419F00000578-364_634x780.jpg]

[Image: Brad%2BPitt%2BSteve%2BMcQueen%2B25th%2BA...3P2_tl.jpg]

The, on the other hand, you have the Undercut which has no fading (or tapering). It's just a blunt one-length cut from below the horizontal temple line. There are quite a few Undercut pictures at the 2014 World Cup hairstyles thread, but here are some pictures of the Undercut:

[Image: mathieu-debuchy.jpg]

[Image: world-cup-20.jpg?w=500&h=743]

[Image: Alderweireld+ANP.JPG]

[Image: bale.jpg]

Ok thanks , You have said before you think undercuts do not go well with my face shape? , I would prefer to go with a undercut with just one length (Probably a 2?) as im not a big fan of the high fade haircuts you showed (Though if that would be the better option for my face shape I would go for it).

I should hopefully get the images of my hair up in max 1-2 hours as I have had to sort something out but hopefully I can upload them asap as I need to decide what haircut and style I want by tomorrow as I will have to go get it cut then before around 3PM.
06-25-2014, 03:24 PM
Ok so I have taken some pictures quickly , Really bad pictures but I had to rush them but any help would be great as I need to decide on what haircut I am getting tomorrow , For the sides I was thinking of getting a 2/3 taper or just one length which will probably be 2.

But mainly for the top (And then styling) is what im unsure about , As I think I need the length I have now to do the side part but I think to do the side part I will need to have it cut on top , As my haircut right now is not suited to the side part hairstyle?.

If you don't think I could do the side part (That is my) , Are there any other haircuts / styles you would suggest?
06-25-2014, 03:39 PM
Sorry didn't upload the pictures in the last post

[Image: o199Mqw.jpg]
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Chronicling my long hair journey jaysen_ 6 1,110 12-28-2015 12:42 AM
Last Post: jaysen_
  Short hair to long Journey shahrukhch1 21 9,359 12-15-2015 03:56 AM
Last Post: Fantast1c
  Long hair journey to growing a man bun! WesleyGarrett 5 1,803 09-18-2015 07:07 PM
Last Post: WesleyGarrett
  My Journey to Top-knot kle95 11 3,240 05-14-2015 10:35 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum