Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My attempt at a brush up type hairstyle
04-24-2014, 02:14 PM (This post was last modified: 04-24-2014 02:14 PM by GoodHair.)
My attempt at a brush up type hairstyle
Every time I try and do a brush up type hairstyle my hair always lacks structure and definition. I have tried using mousse, wax, and a hair dryer. What am I doing wrong here?

[Image: 548A2C64-FF2D-4FAB-9345-DCC9FBFE7627_zps3uingzlf.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-25-2014, 06:30 AM
RE: My attempt at a brush up type hairstyle
Also I forgot to mention, I have tried a curling iron in the past, and although it was a little bit more defined and structured, the results were similar.
04-26-2014, 01:19 PM
Are you styling when your hair is damp? Remember, have the hair damp, coat in mousse/wax/gel, the blow dry hair as you lift hair up with fingers.

You seem to have bone straight hair which has a tendency to "stick out" at that length. I would advice you to get an extra 2 to 3 inches of length on the top. What is your current measurement?

Lastly, can you confirm if you have a cowlick in your right temple? I can't tell if that's a cowlick or if it is the way you styled your hair or if it is effect f having used a curling iron recently. You can usually tell if you have a cowlick by looking at pictures of when you were a kid (age 8 to 14) and with medium length (2 to 4 inches of hair length). You were complaining of hair strands sticking out in your forelock (the hair on the front) and that is a classic sign of a cowlick.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
04-26-2014, 08:48 PM
(04-26-2014 01:19 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Are you styling when your hair is damp? Remember, have the hair damp, coat in mousse/wax/gel, the blow dry hair as you lift hair up with fingers.

You seem to have bone straight hair which has a tendency to "stick out" at that length. I would advice you to get an extra 2 to 3 inches of length on the top. What is your current measurement?

Lastly, can you confirm if you have a cowlick in your right temple? I can't tell if that's a cowlick or if it is the way you styled your hair or if it is effect f having used a curling iron recently. You can usually tell if you have a cowlick by looking at pictures of when you were a kid (age 8 to 14) and with medium length (2 to 4 inches of hair length). You were complaining of hair strands sticking out in your forelock (the hair on the front) and that is a classic sign of a cowlick.

When I style my hair it's damp but it's dry enough where you can see some individual strands (they're not clumping together like they do when your hair is wet). As for the length, if I were to pull my hair down it would cover about half my eyes. And I'm not sure if my hair has a cowlick, it doesn't look like it when I looked at my older pictures. My hair has a kind of middle part in the front where half of it grows one way and half of it grows the other. Could it be my hair is too straight or too thick/thin to do this hairstyle?

Thank you.
05-04-2014, 03:38 PM
Ok so I tried TheMensHairForum's advice, and the hair has gotten a bit longer too. This is what it looks like now, I still feel as if it's missing something. Any suggestions?
[Image: 6AB85C7D-98DC-4629-ABBE-18F763A5B02A_zps3wezjwkr.jpg]
05-04-2014, 06:14 PM
That is very good! good job! nice looking hair
05-04-2014, 06:15 PM
(05-04-2014 06:14 PM)joaquinmc Wrote:  That is very good! good job! nice looking hair

i think you should also just try to make it a little cleaner
05-05-2014, 03:48 PM
(05-04-2014 03:38 PM)GoodHair Wrote:  Ok so I tried TheMensHairForum's advice, and the hair has gotten a bit longer too. This is what it looks like now, I still feel as if it's missing something. Any suggestions?
[Image: 6AB85C7D-98DC-4629-ABBE-18F763A5B02A_zps3wezjwkr.jpg]

Now you are getting it! Try one inch longer, so wait 6 to 8 weeks for the hair to reach that extra inch. If you see Zayn Malik's brush up styles he always has medium to long-ish hair (i.e. 4 to 5 inches). That's because the longer the hair the more the effect of being "brus p" occurs.

But you are now getting there. The front looks very neat, I like it. But, like I say, be patient. Give it 6 to 8 weeks and continue playing with the hair dryer, your fingers and hair.

Lastly, going through your shorter pictures, it looks to me like you have a cowlick in your hair line (i.e. the hair wants to go in a direction different to the rest of the hair). So, for you, it's essential that you give length to the hair.

I have been surprised at the forum members coming here for advice. Many of you, GoodHair you included, have a good-to-great hair foundation already (i.e. naturally) to do any hairstyles you all want. Unfortunately, the internet is full of rats and spam pages with 2 lines of stolen text. That, or the bad hair advice from several online websites that should not be giving hair advice in the first place. Many of you have been following bad advice or reading wrong information online, so you have been shooting yourself in the foot when you could be having great hairstyles with the good hair foundation you all have. It's a real shame because many times you all have been wasting your time and energy with wrong advice before reading/coming to our forum.

Anyway, be patient my man, you're getting there. Keep playing with the hair, put more pictures up if you want as your hair continue to grow. Feel free to open up a thread in the journey section just to have a place where we can all follow your grow/progress and you can ask us for feedback.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-05-2014, 06:20 PM
(05-05-2014 03:48 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Now you are getting it! Try one inch longer, so wait 6 to 8 weeks for the hair to reach that extra inch. If you see Zayn Malik's brush up styles he always has medium to long-ish hair (i.e. 4 to 5 inches). That's because the longer the hair the more the effect of being "brus p" occurs.

But you are now getting there. The front looks very neat, I like it. But, like I say, be patient. Give it 6 to 8 weeks and continue playing with the hair dryer, your fingers and hair.

Lastly, going through your shorter pictures, it looks to me like you have a cowlick in your hair line (i.e. the hair wants to go in a direction different to the rest of the hair). So, for you, it's essential that you give length to the hair.

I have been surprised at the forum members coming here for advice. Many of you, GoodHair you included, have a good-to-great hair foundation already (i.e. naturally) to do any hairstyles you all want. Unfortunately, the internet is full of rats and spam pages with 2 lines of stolen text. That, or the bad hair advice from several online websites that should not be giving hair advice in the first place. Many of you have been following bad advice or reading wrong information online, so you have been shooting yourself in the foot when you could be having great hairstyles with the good hair foundation you all have. It's a real shame because many times you all have been wasting your time and energy with wrong advice before reading/coming to our forum.

Anyway, be patient my man, you're getting there. Keep playing with the hair, put more pictures up if you want as your hair continue to grow. Feel free to open up a thread in the journey section just to have a place where we can all follow your grow/progress and you can ask us for feedback.

Thanks, I definitely plan on growing the top like you said. I am considering getting the sides trimmed but I'm not sure if it would suit my face shape. I'm thinking maybe a #3 on the sides?

And I think the reason everyone is asking for advice is because the lack of information there is for men's hair, like you said. Everywhere you go it's the same tips repeated over and over again. It's great to have something like the Men's Hair Forum, I'm sure it's helped many people, including myself haha.
05-07-2014, 11:33 AM
(05-05-2014 06:20 PM)GoodHair Wrote:  Thanks, I definitely plan on growing the top like you said. I am considering getting the sides trimmed but I'm not sure if it would suit my face shape. I'm thinking maybe a #3 on the sides?

And I think the reason everyone is asking for advice is because the lack of information there is for men's hair, like you said. Everywhere you go it's the same tips repeated over and over again. It's great to have something like the Men's Hair Forum, I'm sure it's helped many people, including myself haha.

Yes a 3 would be good. Yo look like you have vertical temples so you can do a safe undercut haircut with a 3. If you can post a picture up to the eye brows or even down to the jaw - so where lower face starts - then even better - just remove the eyes if you want.

Keep the 3 as you grow your hair longer too. Re-do undercut with a 3 every 2 weeks for best aesthetics. You know by now how good having a hair clipper & especially for the undercut which is very easy to dow with your own hair clipper. If you dont have a clipper then pass by our hair clippers thread to learn of the best hair clippers to buy as a regular guy or just go to the hairdresser or barber every 2 weeks - hair clipper is the best option to save money in the medium term but up to you. Usually a 3 loses its short aesthetics by the 3rd week if you have an average hair growth rate so, if you don't own a hair clipper, you will be visiting the barbershop very often if you want to maintain aesthetics even when you reach the final length goal.
I agree with TMHF about the time span, in 8 weeks you could be looking at an epic brush up. You have straight hair so its easy to blow dry & tousle/mess. You will have no problems, the problems are when your hair is short!

Amen to what you have said about hair knowledge. Sometimes I feel like punching the laptop screen when I visit a website & read the men's hair advice Rolleyes it really gets that bad WRT hair advice.
05-07-2014, 04:24 PM
Yeah I do have problems when my hair is short haha, it's impossible to style. It stands straight up no matter what I do. But here is my face shape.

[Image: 123_zps2fecc268.png]
05-08-2014, 02:18 PM
So I decided to go ahead and go with the haircut, any suggestions? Should I go with the #3 on the sides or should I get a fade? Also should I get anything done on the top?
05-08-2014, 03:32 PM
(05-08-2014 02:18 PM)GoodHair Wrote:  So I decided to go ahead and go with the haircut, any suggestions? Should I go with the #3 on the sides or should I get a fade? Also should I get anything done on the top?

Go with a short taper. In the last picture you posted we get a better story of the angle of your temples and face shape, although in the previous picture to that your forehead looked somewhat different.

Don't go for a fade (remember a fade is done to skin) although I am sure you were meaning a taper. Short and fast taper haircut finished very short with a clipper (finished with a #1). Don't touch the top and tell the hairdresser specifically so (since hairdressers have a tendency to always want to touch the top unless explicitly specified). You need much more length on the top, so getting the top cut now would simply have you waste time and growth.

You will look much better with a short taper cut on the sides and back, and it'll keep your head cool for summer.

05-09-2014, 09:46 AM
So I went ahead and got the taper and didn't touch the top, this is how it looks like now.
[Image: 5016d538-6c23-43bd-b39f-bf0dc2d32d72_zpse29a705b.png]
Any opinions?
05-09-2014, 10:09 AM
That's much better and cleaner. Now keep the same haircut on the sides and grow the top for some 6 to 8 weeks (get the same haircut every 3 weeks to maintain aesthetics).

Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Undercut hairstyle with longer sides to stop Asian hair from sticking out? pt3407 0 48 12-07-2016 05:52 AM
Last Post: pt3407
  New Hairstyle ideas Snoopfrancis 1 69 12-06-2016 07:28 PM
Last Post: Snoopfrancis
  What hairstyle suits best! hadiawan 0 114 12-01-2016 12:45 AM
Last Post: hadiawan
  Medium slickback hairstyle Gias98 0 302 10-20-2016 12:50 PM
Last Post: Gias98