Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Messy Hair guide and Tousled Hairstyle tutorial with products
10-23-2014, 11:09 AM
My Messy Hair guide and Tousled Hairstyle tutorial with products
There are lots of hairstyle guides in the forum already, so I wanted to contribute this messy hair style guide. This is a step by step tutorial on the messy hairstyle and how to tousle your hair. I also mention some products that favor the messy style, and I am sure that the mods can post links to reputable online vendors to buy the products from, including Amazon which I regard as the best place to buy mens hair products. Many of the products are in the sticky hair products guide so you can use that as reference too.

One of the most surprising things about the messy 'bed head' hairstyle is that it can be achieved in mere minutes or it can be a very time consuming process. The time difference depends on the length, texture and cut of your hair, the amount and type of products used, and styling techniques or tools used to create the look.

Celebrities such as Zac Efron and Fabio Coentrao favor the messy hair style look, but not everyone is a famous celebrity with their own personal hairstylist. Knowing some secret tips and tricks or having a step-by-step guide can help the average person create a modern and stylish tousled hairstyle at home.

Haircut:

The first thing to take into consideration is the haircut. The more layers the better, especially if your hair is thick. Chunky layers will keep hair from being too weighed down, making it easier to achieve great volume and directional flow. Short thick hair and longer medium length locks are the easiest types and lengths to work with. Having a successful outcome with thin hair can be a bit of a challenge because mousse, gel, or wax products tend to weigh down thin hair, but it's not impossible.

Styling for normal to thick hair:

Creating the "controlled chaos" bed head look on short thick hair like Zac Efron's hair can be very simple. After shampooing your hair, towel dry it so that it is left damp and then apply a strong hold styling wax such as Tigi's styling wax. Lightly towel dry the hair again and swish it back and forth quickly you're your hand, fingers, and a wide tooth metal comb to help lift the hair from the scalp. Top it off with a light finishing spray such as Tigi's hairspray to keep the style in place and you're ready to head out the door.

Styling for thin hair:

If your hair is thin, you will have to work a bit harder. One of the best tricks for thin hair is to use some lightweight mousse or gel such as Agadir's styling mousse. Apply the gel to wet hair before starting the drying process. Then use your fingers and hands to pull sections of hair in different directions as it dries. This will create texture and volume by tricking the eye to focus on multiple focal points as if the hair is molded and swirled in multiple directions.

Another great tip for styling thin hair in a messy hairstyle is to put the blow dryer on the lowest setting and pull the hair up high and far away from the scalp as it dries. This will create plenty of volume, separation and it will also give the illusion of volume. An excellent hair dryer to use for giving a lot of volume and style to thin hair is the T3 deluxe hair dryer. You can also use a hair pick to keep the hair lifted off the scalp as it dries.

Use a lightweight but sturdy hold finishing spray such as Tigi's hair spray to keep the hair in place. This product is a fine mist that goes on lightly and dries almost instantly, so it will not weigh the hair down with wetness before it dries like some other hairsprays do.

Styling for long hair:

For longer hair about the length of Jared Leto's hair, use some styling mousse on the hair while it's still damp. After applying the mousse, twist tendrils of damp hair around your finger into a spiral shape.

If your long hair is thin, use smaller amounts of hair in the tendrils than if your hair is thick. If time isn't a factor, let the hair dry naturally. For faster drying, use a blow dryer with a diffuser. Using a diffuser will reduce frizz and static. After the hair is dry, run your fingers lightly through it or toss your head around a bit to loosen up the tendrils. Finish with a light setting spray such as Sexy Hair's hair spray.

An even easier method to tousle your long mane and successfully pull the messy hairstyle, braid the hair while it's damp and sleep in the braids. Apply a medium hold styling mousse before braiding. The next morning, undo the braids and gently toss your head about to separate the hair. Use a texturizing spray such as Sexy Hair's hair spray to keep the style in place and you're good to go.

Styling for wavy hair and curly hair:

For hair that already has some volume and curled shape, use a styling mousse such as John Frieda's styling mousse. Next, you'll want to wad and scrunch up the hair with your fingers and hands. Scrunch it up nice and tight and let the hair dry. After it's dry, use a hair pick to gently separate the bunches. Or you can simply leave it alone. Whatever you do, don't brush it because that will cause the hair to frizz.

To give curly hair a sleeker, straighter look and still keep a nice tousled bed head appeal, use a good styling cream. Smooth it on the top layer of the hair and on the ends of each section. Styling cream will give the hair texture, shine, and hold but will allow you to sculpt it easily. One of the best styling creams is the Moroccanoil styling cream.

Conclusion:

There you have it! You should now be able to create your own stylish and tousled 'bed head' hair style look using the tips in this step-by-step hairstyle guide.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-24-2014, 11:19 AM
Great hairstyle tutorial!
That's actually a very neat (no pun) messy hairstyle guide!

I like the fact that you have included a section for thin hair. The main issue with thin hair is achieving volume. A tousled look works its best on a volume foundation, and we know that a hair dryer is without a doubt the best volume-enhancing hair product for men. In fact, styling mousse and a hair dryer is the best possible combination for voluminous hair, whether it is styled in a tousled look, in a brush up style, in a side part etc

I agree with the choice of the T3 hair dryer, as that's one of the best anti-frizz hair dryers around and an overall great hair dryer. We have recommended THIS T3 hair dryer for ages now.

About curly hair, you're right in that a styling cream is much of a necessity for this hair texture. Wavy to coiled hair achieved a tousled look on its own, while these two hair types hardly have any problems achieving enough volume. For a styling cream, THIS styling cream is the one to go for. Since you mention the John Frieda styling mousse, it's THIS one here the one you want to use.

Other styling products that you've mention include this TIGI wax (which I agree is great for a tousled look), this TIGI hair spray and this SEXY HAIR texturizing spray.

There are many actual tousled looks, so have a look at our casual hair styles thread for some hair styling inspiration in the form of a huge set of tousled hairstyle pictures. Furthermore, the best tousling of one's hair is best done with fingers alone, using a comb or hair pick (if needed) to lift the hair up and continue finger tousling.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
10-26-2014, 11:33 AM
RE: My Messy Hair guide and Tousled Hairstyle tutorial with products
Nice hairstyle tutorial. I agree with admin that it is good to also tell it as it is for the different hair types. Most hairstyles I would say are fine to do with all hair types in the same way but the tousled hair style is one that is bound to be a bit different across the hair types.
Is the hairspray needed at all or can we skip it?
10-26-2014, 01:07 PM
(10-26-2014 11:33 AM)Stevens Wrote:  Nice hairstyle tutorial. I agree with admin that it is good to also tell it as it is for the different hair types. Most hairstyles I would say are fine to do with all hair types in the same way but the tousled hair style is one that is bound to be a bit different across the hair types.
Is the hairspray needed at all or can we skip it?

You can skip the styling spray if you so want but take into account that the spray helps to keep the look the same for the whole day. If your hair is the kind that moves around and that never keeps the same look from the day to night, then I highly recommend that you also get the spray. It's really one of those hair produces that are underrated for men and which can bring a lot of benefits to guys looking to put the icing on the cake to their tousled look.

Don't use much spray. Just spray for three to six seconds all around the hair on the head and that's it.
10-28-2014, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the guide. I generally wear my hair tousled by default because my waves and cowlicks are so stubborn that I can't find any other style that looks good. However I feel that using product such as gel makes my hair look very greasy, because it is such a contrast to how fine my hair normally is. Are there any tips for using products without your hair looking greasy?
11-05-2014, 12:28 PM
This is a very good tutorial and thank you for the recommendations of the products. I like that you talk about curly hair. I have curly hair but my type is coils. For the messed hair style for curls. What is the best length for the messy curls?

Thank you.
11-11-2014, 10:39 AM
Use styling wax and medium length for messy curly hair.
(10-28-2014 12:20 PM)merrickbalsam Wrote:  Thanks for the guide. I generally wear my hair tousled by default because my waves and cowlicks are so stubborn that I can't find any other style that looks good. However I feel that using product such as gel makes my hair look very greasy, because it is such a contrast to how fine my hair normally is. Are there any tips for using products without your hair looking greasy?

The first tip is to buy good hair products, as the cheap ones will use greasy-looking ingredients.

Go with the TIGI styling wax I recommend earlier in my post after the initial post of Sunset.

(11-05-2014 12:28 PM)JaimeSpain Wrote:  This is a very good tutorial and thank you for the recommendations of the products. I like that you talk about curly hair. I have curly hair but my type is coils. For the messed hair style for curls. What is the best length for the messy curls?

Thank you.

Go with a medium length for messy curly hair. Four inches will be fine for coiled hair.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What hairstyle suits best! hadiawan 0 47 Yesterday 12:45 AM
Last Post: hadiawan
  Medium slickback hairstyle Gias98 0 276 10-20-2016 12:50 PM
Last Post: Gias98
  Help identify my hair for a new hairstyle gabriel777 2 306 10-18-2016 09:34 AM
Last Post: gabriel777
  Long hair side shaved grow to man bun hairstyle or top knot? darkguy2 3 307 10-17-2016 08:44 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz