Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My Journey to Top-knot
03-01-2015, 08:38 AM
My Journey to Top-knot
Hi all,
I started my journey to the top-knot hairstyle like 7 months ago and at moment i can almost pull my bang into the top knot, guess i need like 2 more months.
Anyway i fear that my little bit receded hairline would ruin the top knot (20 y.o)
Here some photos, hope you can help me.

The photo are taken out of shower so hair were not dried yet.

Front :

[Image: xb1oOkR.jpg]

Sides :

[Image: CDaz59u.jpg]

[Image: cFIswUf.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2015, 01:41 PM
RE: My Journey to Top-knot
Hello! I can ask if you are worried about your hairline. Right? In the forum there is information about this hair loss problem named traction hair loss. It is caused by tensing the hair really hard for hairstyles like the top knot hairstyle. It is also a problem for men with corn-rows and hair with braids.

Maybe you haven't read about traction hair loss, please read here and here because if I understand correctly this is what you are worried about. I did knot now what it was before, I learn a lot with this forum and this strange mens hair problem.

I am sure the barbers in the forum can comment on this. One question, do you feel a lot of tension in your hairline with the topknot? One solution would be to grow the hair a little bit long, you can read here for the perfect top knot length. I hope my reply is useful for you Smile

Jaime.
03-01-2015, 01:49 PM
Sorry I made a mistake in my reply with the name of the hair loss. The name is not traction hair loss, it is traction alopecia. Well alopecia means hair loss, we use alopecia also in spanish to talk about mens hair loss.

I didn't comment this in my reply before but your top knot hairstyle looks really cool. The haircut you have is the undercut haircut. Correct? So is this hairstyle called a top knot undercut? My last question Big Grin How long is your hair for your topknot? Thank you for any answers!
03-01-2015, 02:26 PM
(03-01-2015 01:49 PM)JaimeSpain Wrote:  Sorry I made a mistake in my reply with the name of the hair loss. The name is not traction hair loss, it is traction alopecia. Well alopecia means hair loss, we use alopecia also in spanish to talk about mens hair loss.

I didn't comment this in my reply before but your top knot hairstyle looks really cool. The haircut you have is the undercut haircut. Correct? So is this hairstyle called a top knot undercut? My last question Big Grin How long is your hair for your topknot? Thank you for any answers!

Actually i'm not wearing the top knot because my hair is not long enough.
About the alopecia traction i already knew it, and i will not make this mistake Smile
This is meant to be a "experimental" top knot because of the length, when i will get the length i'm aiming i will trim the sides and backs
My hair atm are like 4 inches? they reach almost my mouth

If you want , i got the inspiration from these photos Smile

[Image: YGanyUa.jpg]

[Image: e584a46b0394c70a00e78a0ececa485e.jpg]
03-01-2015, 02:42 PM
Thanks! Yes I think it looks really cool. I have curly hair so it isn't so easy but I hope the barbers in this forum can help me to "fix" my situation xD

Do you want to grow your hair longer? According to the calculator 4 inches is 10 centimeters, so 1 inch is 2.5 centimeters. I think in Italy you use centimeters like in Spain. Right? Smile So your hair reaches your mouth, do you want to have longer hair if you are experimenting? Maybe with longer hair you will find the perfect hair length for your top knot hairstyle.

My english is rats so I think I didn't understand your question about your hairline. The rest of guys will understand it so don't worry Smile I thought you were asking about traction alopecia. In the forum they warn everyone about the top knot and traction alopecia, specially balding men.

I will subscribe to your thread. I like to follow threads like yours because hair can change the way you look in only a few months. Before I didn't think much about hair, I just get a buzz cut or military haircut, but when I grow my hair longer I cannot believe how much it changes my aesthetics.

Maybe you didn't see it but this thread is about a forum member who also grows his hair longer and gets a top knot. Big difference in aesthetics with the top knot!
03-24-2015, 06:25 AM (This post was last modified: 03-24-2015 06:26 AM by kle95.)
Almost reached length Smile Still need 1 month to go

[Image: PrHDaH7.jpg]

[Image: jf1hB9O.jpg]

[Image: n5L8ueT.jpg]

[Image: jf1hB9O.jpg]
03-25-2015, 05:19 AM
Looking awesome, my friend! Smile

I'm glad for you, your hair is also growing very fast from what I can see. Hairstyle looking sharp and dapper. How big you want to grow your hair for a big top knot? At the high speed of your hair growth, you're definitively going to have some hair length to show for!

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-25-2015, 08:26 AM
(03-25-2015 05:19 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Looking awesome, my friend! Smile

I'm glad for you, your hair is also growing very fast from what I can see. Hairstyle looking sharp and dapper. How big you want to grow your hair for a big top knot? At the high speed of your hair growth, you're definitively going to have some hair length to show for!

Thanks! i still need some length for a comfortable man bun/top knot
Actually some hair didn't enter the tie!
I will repost in one month when the bun will be pretty ready Smile
05-14-2015, 05:37 AM (This post was last modified: 05-14-2015 05:38 AM by kle95.)
Guess journey is almost over Smile

[Image: EJALHf5.jpg]

[Image: vGMwIBq.jpg]

[Image: Qir2mTy.jpg]
05-14-2015, 07:37 AM
You've gotten already a very stylish top knot undercut!
That's one great looking top knot hairstyle! Smile

I like the fact that you've used an Undercut to keep it as a top knot undercut. It really brings up the aesthetics of the top knot as, with all hairstyles, the Undercut puts the focus on the hair on the top, and you've gotten it styled sharp and neat, all slicked back into the knot.

As said, looking great and it's the hairstyle that you wanted to achieve, without a doubt. I would say give it an extra month for a little bit more length. You will only gain half an inch in a month but that will allow you to ensure that you have enough length on the top of your head whatever happens (e.g. you damage your tips or your hairdresser trims your hair too much hence that extra half inch will provide some cushioning for those generous trims that are so common with hairdressers!).

I seemed to have missed out on your thread for some reason, which is a shame as I really like seeing the progression from our forum members especially when growing their hair longer, so I'm catching up with your goals. Are you planning on growing your hair longer for a bigger bun? For example, for a man bun Undercut hairstyle or simply having long hair that you can leave dangling for some loose long hairstyles?

Also, what is your current hair length right now? In inches or centimeters, that's fine.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-14-2015, 08:07 AM
i don't know exactly but they reach my mouth.

This is my goal for now, but with sides more trimmed :
[Image: e584a46b0394c70a00e78a0ececa485e.jpg]

I'm actually really happy with this hairstyle and i agree that one more grown month would be better.
05-14-2015, 10:35 AM
Keep your very-short Undercut with the top knot hairstyle.
I see now. Great picture choice for reference as it gives you a very solid visual cue as to how big the knot should be. Indeed, in a month you should be there.

Do keep the buzzed Undercut on the sides and back; don't grow it longer as the male in the picture. Such buzzed topknot undercut hairstyles are all the rage now (and for some time back too) as prior to that a typical top knot (as per the hairstyle trend) had longer hair on the sides and back. Not to mention that a very short undercut for a top knot enhances the emphasis of the top knot in terms of visual aesthetics.

Keep us updated with pictures once you've gotten to your hairstyle goal! Smile

Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Chronicling my long hair journey jaysen_ 6 1,110 12-28-2015 12:42 AM
Last Post: jaysen_
  Short hair to long Journey shahrukhch1 21 9,369 12-15-2015 03:56 AM
Last Post: Fantast1c
  Long hair journey to growing a man bun! WesleyGarrett 5 1,803 09-18-2015 07:07 PM
Last Post: WesleyGarrett
  From Top Knot to new Pompadour or other Long Hairstyle ideas hicallmeadam 2 1,341 09-12-2015 11:17 AM
Last Post: Panther