Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Hair Type?
05-16-2013, 08:08 AM
My Hair Type?
I have been on a journey to finding the right routine to keep my hair fresh, soft, shiny, and not loaded or weighed down with product. It's been tough but so far i have learned how to co-wash , clarify, and drop shampoo completely. i operate on a 3 day til co-wash and a week to a week in a half until i clarify. I'm tired of relying on using my shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie. I've tried the sebum method and i believe i'm doing it all wrong :/ Rogelio how can i achieve natural healthy looking curls without relying on all of these products? Also what is your routine?

[Image: 9455a4c8-6312-4032-a8ed-b146230eb23c.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-16-2013, 01:28 PM
RE: My Hair Type?
(05-16-2013 08:08 AM)CurlyHairWayOfLife Wrote:  I have been on a journey to finding the right routine to keep my hair fresh, soft, shiny, and not loaded or weighed down with product. It's been tough but so far i have learned how to co-wash , clarify, and drop shampoo completely. i operate on a 3 day til co-wash and a week to a week in a half until i clarify. I'm tired of relying on using my shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie. I've tried the sebum method and i believe i'm doing it all wrong :/ Rogelio how can i achieve natural healthy looking curls without relying on all of these products? Also what is your routine?

Hey buddy, welcome to the forum! Love the username.

Finding the right grooming routine can sometimes be a bit elaborate, especially with curly hair. I always vouch (and recommend) for having a solid foundation that serves as the basis of what you do i.e. have a basic routine and then tweak around any tidbits to your particular case.

Conditioners will weight down the hair, as so will any creams you apply to the curls; for what is worth, I've never heard anything positive of Shea Moisture products except from their advertising, so changing the brand to a new one could work if the product itself is where the fault is.

In any case, the best way to have hair that is fluffy and not weighted down is to completely remove products from your routine and simply spread the sebum with your fingers; that's what I did with my natural hair challenge.

In my case, I remove and add different stuff to my routine although I always follow a template:

1. Clean
  2. Condition
  3. Style

The above is done without using hair products, only your fingers to spread the sebum (including cleaning your hair).

Your hair looks pretty good, though it's best that when you post pictures, post them when the hair has dried since when the hair is damp, it will look different.

I recommend you try removing all hair products from your routine and just do my Sebum Coating method. If you haven't read the natural hair challenge I did, this is the link

http://www.manlycurls.com/2011/12/30-day...ge-day-30/

Click on the links at the bottom to see each update.

I explain in detail the template and routine I use in my books, but it really boils down to seeing the grooming process as consisting of 3 stages: cleaning, conditioning and styling.

Hope that helped buddy, keep us updated!

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
05-16-2013, 01:50 PM
(05-16-2013 01:28 PM)Curly Hair Wrote:  
(05-16-2013 08:08 AM)CurlyHairWayOfLife Wrote:  I have been on a journey to finding the right routine to keep my hair fresh, soft, shiny, and not loaded or weighed down with product. It's been tough but so far i have learned how to co-wash , clarify, and drop shampoo completely. i operate on a 3 day til co-wash and a week to a week in a half until i clarify. I'm tired of relying on using my shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie. I've tried the sebum method and i believe i'm doing it all wrong :/ Rogelio how can i achieve natural healthy looking curls without relying on all of these products? Also what is your routine?

Finding the right grooming routine can sometimes be a bit elaborate, especially with curly hair. I always vouch (and recommend) for having a solid foundation that serves as the basis of what you do i.e. have a basic routine and then tweak around any tidbits to your particular case.

Conditioners will weight down the hair, as so will any creams you apply to the curls; for what is worth, I've never heard anything positive of Shea Moisture products except from their advertising, so changing the brand to a new one could work if the product itself is where the fault is.

In any case, the best way to have hair that is fluffy and not weighted down is to completely remove products from your routine and simply spread the sebum with your fingers; that's what I did with my natural hair challenge.

In my case, I remove and add different stuff to my routine although I always follow a template:

1. Clean
  2. Condition
  3. Style

The above is done without using hair products, only your fingers to spread the sebum (including cleaning your hair).

Your hair looks pretty good, though it's best that when you post pictures, post them when the hair has dried since when the hair is damp, it will look different.

I recommend you try removing all hair products from your routine and just do my Sebum Coating method. If you haven't read the natural hair challenge I did, this is the link

I explain in detail the template and routine I use in my books, but it really boils down to seeing the grooming process as consisting of 3 stages: cleaning, conditioning and styling.

Thanks for the advice the pic above my hair was actually right after i applied a leave-in to my curls. I want to buy your book asap and i'm thinking your second book would help me more? Also do you style you're hair with your conditioner or just your fingers? i think I'm gonna start the 30 day challenge starting on my next wash day and try to supply some pics to add some activity to this awesome websiteCool
05-16-2013, 01:52 PM

Your hair looks good man. But ditto on what Rogelio said about using only sebum for hair that isnt weight down, his sebum coating method really works.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-16-2013, 02:12 PM
(05-16-2013 01:50 PM)CurlyHairWayOfLife Wrote:  

1. Clean
  2. Condition
  3. Style

Thanks for the advice the pic above my hair was actually right after i applied a leave-in to my curls. I want to buy your book asap and i'm thinking your second book would help me more? Also do you style you're hair with your conditioner or just your fingers? i think I'm gonna start the 30 day challenge starting on my next wash day and try to supply some pics to add some activity to this awesome websiteCool

Absolutely, go for a 30-day challenge with no hair products, just use your fingers to clean, condition and style the hair.

It depends on my mood with what I use to style my curls, my own sebum is good to go (so fingers only). If I choose a conditioner to style, it'd be a leave-in conditioner, not a "normal" conditioner (the one that is rinsed out).

With regards to my books, both cover more or less the same in terms of grooming routines and hair care, but obviously The Curly Hair Book is tailored for curly men and is more fun to read and motivational. The Men's Hair Book is more serious and a bit more in-depth; any of the 2 will do.

I've suggested Admin some form of log forum for us to post journeys, experiments etc so definitively keep us updated here. If the new forum section is not opened, then feel free to open a thread in this Curly Hair forum section to post your journey. I'll keep an eye out on it too.

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
05-16-2013, 06:10 PM
Thanks a lot guys im gonna try the 30 day sebum method as a test and keep pics since i'm a newbie. I'll try again once i've bought the curly hair book and learnt from the master XD.
05-17-2013, 12:13 PM
(05-16-2013 06:10 PM)CurlyHairWayOfLife Wrote:  Thanks a lot guys im gonna try the 30 day sebum method as a test and keep pics since i'm a newbie. I'll try again once i've bought the curly hair book and learnt from the master XD.

Absolutely. Either post them here or in a new thread. Look forward to once you start!

05-18-2013, 07:45 PM

1. Clean
  2. Condition
  3. Style

hey man, thanks for writing all these replies as it means a lot for those of us with funky hair. R u the dude from that blog?
i didnt like the shea moisture curl smoothie stuff at all, it dried my curls big time and didnt help at all. i have tried a few products for curly hair but no luck so far.
05-18-2013, 09:55 PM
(05-18-2013 07:45 PM)Tyrone92 Wrote:  

1. Clean
  2. Condition
  3. Style

hey man, thanks for writing all these replies as it means a lot for those of us with funky hair. R u the dude from that blog?
i didnt like the shea moisture curl smoothie stuff at all, it dried my curls big time and didnt help at all. i have tried a few products for curly hair but no luck so far.

Hi Tyrone,

Yes, that's my blog and me in those pictures.

About hair products for curly men, the current ones are very hit and miss, and just about all available in the market are pretty mediocre and sub-standard, so it's mostly an issue of which ones are the least worst. Experiment with different brands and types, and aim to keep a record of what works and doesn't.

Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  curly super dry bush type unshiny hair shau1203 0 266 08-09-2016 03:30 PM
Last Post: shau1203
  Edinson Cavani hair type long hairstyle Stevens 1 7,897 06-25-2013 06:57 PM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
  Curly hair and difficulty to put into type Barber 4 2,042 06-03-2013 02:39 PM
Last Post: Curly Hair