Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My Hair Journey: Shane88
04-02-2014, 05:04 AM
My Hair Journey: Shane88
Introduction

Heyy guys, this is my blog on my hair journey, I am called Shane and I am 25 years old and work in retail for a living, I am a pretty ordinary person, I am though a very sporty person, I'm a big big Football (Soccer for you Americans) fan, I consider myself a hair enthusiast, I've decided to post this blog to help and inspire people into doing anything with your hair, the basis of this blog actually started a few weeks ago on the haircut and hairstyle section under the following blog "Getting a Messy Shaggy Haircut", on their I basically asked for input on the hairstyle I was aiming to achieve and I thought it be great to get some hints and tips from others

The Hairstyle

Right my hairstyle I'm aiming to achieve is a messy shaggy hairstyle, this is a popular hairstyle that is popular with both sexes, I have seen both males and females with this hairstyles even though the female version of this hairstyle tends to be longer in length than men, Rod Stewart is a famous person who has this hairstyle

Hair Length: Medium Length

Hair Style: Shaggy
Hair Look: Messy
Hair On Top: Quiff/Fauxhawk/Brush Up
Hair On Back And Sides: Choppy with Layers
Other Information: Blonde Highlights

Yes blonde highlights, you read that right, a guy with highlights, surely not lol, if done correctly it's a awesome hairstyle to pull off, it's modern, stylist and classy, and to be honest this hairstyle will make you stand out from the others

The hairstyle I'm aiming achieve is inspire by Football (Soccer) Player Fabio Coentrao who plays for Real Madrid and is a regular International for Portugal, he is 26 years old and he is a highly rated player and considered by people to be one of the best left backs in the world, if you would like to see his hairstyle, you can either google his name or check the celebrity page on here

My Hair/Hair Type/Hairstyle

My hair colour is Dark Brown, it's very close to Black, I have very high density hair (Thick) and it's wavy, most people just say I have a very good head of hair that people would love to have lol

Below is my Hair Profile which is a excellent way to find out about your hair, it was created by Rogelio Samson and it's a basic way to find out about your hair, you can learn more by checking this forum or purchasing the 2 books he has produced via amazon or any good online retails

Hair Type: Wavy
Extended: 7cm (Long)
Visible: 6cm
Curl Factor: 1.16
Norwood Stage: Stage I

Since then I have had my hair cut, my extended length is now 6cm and my visible length is 5cm, this left me with a curl factor of 1.2, my hair length is now medium

My hairstyle at the moment is very close to the hairstyle I'm aiming to achieve, I been growing my hair since the beginning of the year (I will discuss this more later on and will show photos to show the look). The only thing I need to do now is grow a bit more length in the sides and back on my head to achieve the look, it's mostly for layers

My Hair Routine/Kit

This is my old hair routine that I used to do every day

1. Wash Hair
2. Shampoo (Some Days)
3. Conditioner (Some Days)
4. Towel Dry
5. Style It (Hands or Brush)
6. Hair Products

This is my new hair routine for everyday

1. Wash Hair
2. Shampoo or Sebum Coating Method
3. Conditioner
4. T-Shirt dry my hair
5. Straighten Hair/Leave In Conditioner
6. Style It (Hands)
7. Hair Products or Leave It

Since I adopted my new hair routine, my hair has vastly improved, it's easier to manage and style, again Rogelio 2 books have massively improved my understanding on hair management, once you know how to manage your hair, its will becomes second nature to you, things like putting too much wax on will contribute to having bad hair, having a good routine that you do day in and day out will help you as well

My 7 day plan

Day 1: Shampoo/Conditioner/T-Shirt/Straighten/Style
Day 2: Sebum/T-Shirt/LinC/Style
Day 3: Sebum/Conditioner/T-Shirt/Straighten/Style
Day 4: Sebum/T-Shirt/LinC/Style
Day 5: Shampoo/Conditioner/T-Shirt/Straighten/Style
Day 6: Sebum/T-Shirt/LinC/Style
Day 7: Sebum/Conditioner/T-Shirt/Straighten/Style

LinC - Leave In Conditioner

This is a rough template I do, sometimes I may condition my hair on a day off when its normally not a conditioning day, I may straighten my hair as well, it's all trial and error, as long you manage your hair correctly then you won't have any issues, I never shampoo my hair more or less, it's always 1 on and 3 off

Right my kit

Shampoo: Pantene (Normal/Thick Hair)
Conditioner: Pantene (Normal/Thick Hair)
Leave In Conditioner: Vitapointe
T-Shirt: Old T-Shirt (100% Cotton) Anything that's feels soft
Hair Straighteners: Babyliss Boutique Smooth Ceramic 235
Heat Resistant Spray: Got2b Guardian Angel
Hair Products: Vo5 Matt Clay/Got2b Beach Matt

It's seems a lot but it isn't, this is my current kit, things can change but I try to keep consistent with them, the only thing I'm planning to change is my hair product to a better product for my hair

My Journey

My journey started at the beginning of the year (January), I was getting bored of my hair, it's was a basic hairstyle, it looked ok but boring, it was a side parting/undercut, it suited me but made my face look bigger as I have a diamond face (my face is quite long as well) I have a very good head of hair so I thought it be a waste not to make the most of it, I think things like not knowing how to fully manage your hair has put me off with having certain hairstyles or growing over a certain length, I have done a faux hawk or brush up hairstyles in the past but my sides and back was short, I have highlighted my hair in the past but it was mostly just on top of my head

So I decided to change my look, decided to grow it (its been 4 months now) at that time I found this website and looked for some hairstyles for inspiration, last month I joined this forum as I was looking for ideas and tips and how to improve my hair

I started to ask for guidance on hairstyles, found the hairstyle I wanted (Messy/Shaggy) and started to prepare for the hairstyle

I jump on board on getting Rogelio Samson "The Mens Hair Book" and started to take bits out of it and applying it to myself, this helped me starting the process of managing my hair, things like not washing my hair correctly, having a inconsistent hair grooming plan and putting too much styling product on my hair was affecting my management and appearance of my hair

Last week I got my first haircut of the year lol my friend is a fantastic hairstylist so luckily I was in safe hands, however I learned I would need to straighten my hair consistently to pull this hairstyle off, so I went I bought some lol

------------------------------------------------------ FUTURE --------------------------------------------------

I'm just now growing my hair on the back and sides to add some length and layers to the hairstyle, I planning to get my hair highlighted in the next month, once then I will be getting my hair cut every 4 to 6 weeks and having my hair highlighted when needed

------------------------------------------------------ FUTURE --------------------------------------------------

Tips To Having Great Hair

*Buy Rogelio Samson (The Men's Hair Boom), if you have curly hair get his curly book, honestly it's the greatest. investment you can make for your hair, it cost me £13 and is fantastic value

*Get to know your hair, find out your type, learn what you can do with it

*Decide on a hairstyle or try hairstyles out, be prepared though, you will only get out of it what you put into it
(Short Hairstyles = Less Effort) (Straight Hair = Less Effort
(Medium/Long = More Effort) (Wavy/Coiled/Curly = More Effort)

*Manage it, the non-shampooing method is the best method which you will learn more about reading the blogs on here or in Rogelio books

* Get it trimmed every 4-6 weeks, if your growing it, let it grow, don't get regular trims, it was 3 months before I got my hair cut lol

Please Remember - Things like Face Shape/Face Type/Ethnicity can play a part, be realistic though don't go trying growing a afro if you have straight hair, I'm not saying don't but unless your willing to spend a lot of effort managing it then it be hard work, if you can't be bothered in looking after your hair day in and day out then keep it simple

Thanks for reading my blog, I will be updating this regular and hopefully I will be adding some photos soon, feel free to ask me anything on here or you can PM me, I'm more than happy to help out on here, like I said before I'm a hair enthusiast and I want this to inspire people to make the most of out their hair or do anything with their hair, I'm still learning things myself and looking forward to improving my knowledge with you all

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2014, 12:08 PM
RE: My Hair Journey: Shane88
Awesome start Shane!!
Really detail & very motivational for others to follow. Gave it 5 stars & I subscribed Cool
04-02-2014, 02:45 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2014 02:45 PM by Machado.)
subscribed dude! saw your thread about the shaggy cut hair the other day and you really are taking action with the mens hair book! i also want to do like you and have every thing planned following the book etc imo its the best way to succeed just like when you go to the gym and need to have a workout plan and nutrition and right exercises lol
5 star-ed your journey too Tongue
04-03-2014, 09:27 AM
Very much awaited! Keep us updated on how your hair grows and post some pictures of the shaggy cut you got!

I've subscribed too.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
04-04-2014, 03:24 PM
I Heart community here always helping people. Its good idea this about blogs because now we can ask feedback in gradual mode. How do I subscribe to this journey of Shane88?
04-05-2014, 07:08 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2014 07:12 PM by worsthairever.)
Wow shane88. Are you a professional writer/blogger because that was extremely well written, like no mistakes in the writing I could make out. Also very inspiring , useful information. A+ work. I subscribed. Oh and be sure to post pics if possible.
04-06-2014, 07:26 AM
Thanks guys

No I'm no professional blogger, just your average person, wanted to do this as I thought it be fun to do and help and inspire people into doing anything with their hair if they willing to put the effort in

Having issues getting photos up, will try and get them up asap

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

04-08-2014, 01:00 PM
The pictures of Shane's new haircut have been updated, they are in his post above. The pictures of the new haircut he got are the last 2 pics. For those who want to see the picture in full size, simply click the thumbnail.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
04-08-2014, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2014 03:11 PM by shane88.)
Thanks THMF for getting the photos up Smile

Right from left to right top to bottom
1 is my old hairstyle which was a side parting undercut
2 - 4 is my hairstyle during my "growing hair" process and using my old hair grooming method
5 and 6 is my hairstyle now, well actually took the photo 2 week's ago, I'm using my new hair grooming method which is the no shampooing method from Rogelio book

I apologize for the photos, they aren't the best and I won't be winning any awards soon for best looking person lol

I actually getting my hair highlighted blonde tomorrow, so will post photos of me with my new surfer style shaggy hairstyle soon, I will also (if anyone is interested) describe how I got my hair highlighted if anyone is thinking about having their hair coloured or highlighted
04-08-2014, 03:05 PM
(04-04-2014 03:24 PM)JaimeSpain Wrote:  I Heart community here always helping people. Its good idea this about blogs because now we can ask feedback in gradual mode. How do I subscribe to this journey of Shane88?

Jaime their a subscribe button at the bottom of the page
04-08-2014, 03:31 PM
(04-08-2014 03:02 PM)shane88 Wrote:  Thanks THMF for getting the photos up Smile

Right from left to right top to bottom
1 is my old hairstyle which was a side parting undercut
2 - 4 is my hairstyle during my "growing hair" process and using my old hair grooming method
5 and 6 is my hairstyle now, well actually took the photo 2 week's ago, I'm using my new hair grooming method which is the no shampooing method from Rogelio book

I apologize for the photos, they aren't the best and I won't be winning any awards soon for best looking person lol

I actually getting my hair highlighted blonde tomorrow, so will post photos of me with my new surfer style shaggy hairstyle soon, I will also (if anyone is interested) describe how I got my hair highlighted if anyone is thinking about having their hair coloured or highlighted

You can really tell the difference and the hair looks fuller (this is a typical good effect of the no shampoo/sebum coating method). The haircut looks really good too, so you got a good stylist with you. Now, it's the waiting game whereby you will need an extra 2 to 3 months to get the final length you want. But you can certainly have fun in the meantime and spice up your hair and try all kind of styles you want and ask us for feedback.

About the highlights, yes, I think it is a good idea. For young men like you, highlights look good so long as they are not overdone. You can also go for the bleached look like that of Fabio Coentrao, but I think that'd be too much for now. Highlights is the way to go, my man, and considering your hair color, it will suit you. Make sure you get one in the forelock (i.e. in a lock at the front of the head on the forehead's hairline).

Also, this is a good time to try all kind of products. You already have the hair straightener, so that's good, and your hair looks to be responsive to styling. So wax/pomade/gel/mousse/styling creams are the range of products where you really can start handpicking them and get at least decent results. I recall you saying that you had quite a few styling products already, so there's no need to buy more now and you can start experimenting with the ones you have. Once you run out of your current products, then consider adding a mousse or pomade in your shopping basket Smile

04-09-2014, 12:12 PM
the first pic is the bestSmile
04-10-2014, 03:56 PM
Heyy guys just had my hair highlighted yesterday, it's pretty blonde, it looks like the surfer style u see on people

Has took me yesterday and today just getting used to it, I felt pretty weird at first in just getting used to this change, at first thought I had too much blonde in cause its a big change in how my hair looks, think it just a shock reaction, and the amount of people looking at me, I could lose count lol oh well one of those things

Its all trial and error at the moment, may next time just get a fewer blonde highlights in next time, we see lol

I will post some more photos of me soon with my new hairstyle once I get used to styling it
04-10-2014, 04:14 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2014 04:15 PM by Bradley.)
(04-10-2014 03:56 PM)shane88 Wrote:  Heyy guys just had my hair highlighted yesterday, it's pretty blonde, it looks like the surfer style u see on people

Has took me yesterday and today just getting used to it, I felt pretty weird at first in just getting used to this change, at first thought I had too much blonde in cause its a big change in how my hair looks, think it just a shock reaction, and the amount of people looking at me, I could lose count lol oh well one of those things

Its all trial and error at the moment, may next time just get a fewer blonde highlights in next time, we see lol

I will post some more photos of me soon with my new hairstyle once I get used to styling it

Hi mate dont worry about it because when you first get your hair dyed you will notice A LOT more people looking at you but that they would look at you otherwise any way. Its just you being more attentive cause you know you changed something Smile
Also if you don't like it you can always dye it back anyway.Thats the good thing about blond highlights however for dark/black highlights on blond hair... you are pretty much screwed and have to recolour the whole hair or even bleach it then recolour, its an awful process. So dont worry if it was a bit overdone cause it is easy to undo.
I am curious tho to see how it all pans out for you mate. I have been following your threads and you have been so dedicated to taking action. Many times guys would just rather be sold the dream than putting any effort to better themselves. The same like with going to the gym every one will join for 2 months then drop out but at least they were happy to be sold the dream. So I am impressed with your dedication mate and your doing things right by starting with the haircut which I saw you got a good one too.

You got the base with the haircut now you just need to grow the hair, get some colouring if thats what you want to get and then you will arrive at your final hair aesthetics goal for sure. Wait a bit for the hair to grow and in the mean time you try things on your hair like colour, style, different styling techniques, styling products, tools like flat iron, facial hair like hairstyle + beard style... lots of stuff you can really do.
Following the thread too!
04-10-2014, 04:54 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2014 04:57 PM by shane88.)
(04-10-2014 04:14 PM)Bradley Wrote:  
(04-10-2014 03:56 PM)shane88 Wrote:  Heyy guys just had my hair highlighted yesterday, it's pretty blonde, it looks like the surfer style u see on people

Hi mate dont worry about it because when you first get your hair dyed you will notice A LOT more people looking at you but that they would look at you otherwise any way. Its just you being more attentive cause you know you changed something Smile
Also if you don't like it you can always dye it back anyway.Thats the good thing about blond highlights however for dark/black highlights on blond hair... you are pretty much screwed and have to recolour the whole hair or even bleach it then recolour, its an awful process. So dont worry if it was a bit overdone cause it is easy to undo.
I am curious tho to see how it all pans out for you mate. I have been following your threads and you have been so dedicated to taking action. Many times guys would just rather be sold the dream than putting any effort to better themselves. The same like with going to the gym every one will join for 2 months then drop out but at least they were happy to be sold the dream. So I am impressed with your dedication mate and your doing things right by starting with the haircut which I saw you got a good one too.

You got the base with the haircut now you just need to grow the hair, get some colouring if thats what you want to get and then you will arrive at your final hair aesthetics goal for sure. Wait a bit for the hair to grow and in the mean time you try things on your hair like colour, style, different styling techniques, styling products, tools like flat iron, facial hair like hairstyle + beard style... lots of stuff you can really do.
Following the thread too!

Thanks Bradley much appreciated, yeah I'm expecting it, I've had a few ribbins from my mates but that mates for ya,
It's the change from having dark hair to lighter hair that's done it for me, it's growing on me, by early next week I be pretty much used to it and working on nailing the styling part

Yeah thanks I'm determined to make this work, again it's early days, just the process of adapting to it, I gonna keep the hairstyle for a while, I've spent too much effort in growing and grooming it just to chop if off a few weeks, I love the style it's just different, not a common hairstyle u see guys doing lol I was sold on the style by Fabio Coentrao, I just wanted to try it out, had a few people actually saying it suits me lol

My hair is coming on well, you can basically straighten it everywhere apart from my sideburns but hopefully soon my hair grow over them, I'm not a person for beards or moustache lol I have a bit of a young face and I don't suit any facial hair, I usually shave every or other day, I prefer being clean shaven

I have though had a few nice comments from the opposite sex, which is a winner in my eyes lol
Thanks for the encouragement and guidance, much appreciated
04-16-2014, 03:40 PM
(04-08-2014 03:05 PM)shane88 Wrote:  
(04-04-2014 03:24 PM)JaimeSpain Wrote:  I Heart community here always helping people. Its good idea this about blogs because now we can ask feedback in gradual mode. How do I subscribe to this journey of Shane88?

Jaime their a subscribe button at the bottom of the page

Ohh thank you! I subscribe now Smile
04-17-2014, 05:40 PM
So finally got used to the blonde highlights I had, after the initial reaction of having my hair changed, I do like my hair, I think my hair though may be too blonde though so may get less highlights put in next time but isn't a big deal

My hairstyle is pretty much where I want it to be, it's just tweaking things around such as highlights, how I style it, just the basic things etc

Only thing to report is that I condition my hair most days now, probably 3 out of 4 days, I still have my 1 on 3 off shampoo rule, I use my leave in conditioner a lot more, tbh I used it instead of wax or clay, I rarely use any hair wax or clay anymore, maybe just on nights out tbh, since I straighten my hair and use the leave in conditioner to style my hair I don't really have any issues with styling my hair

Still having issues with loading pictures up so be patience and hopefully sooner than later can get some photos up
04-17-2014, 09:11 PM
keep us updated mateSmile
04-18-2014, 12:45 PM
(04-17-2014 05:40 PM)shane88 Wrote:  So finally got used to the blonde highlights I had, after the initial reaction of having my hair changed, I do like my hair, I think my hair though may be too blonde though so may get less highlights put in next time but isn't a big deal

My hairstyle is pretty much where I want it to be, it's just tweaking things around such as highlights, how I style it, just the basic things etc

Only thing to report is that I condition my hair most days now, probably 3 out of 4 days, I still have my 1 on 3 off shampoo rule, I use my leave in conditioner a lot more, tbh I used it instead of wax or clay, I rarely use any hair wax or clay anymore, maybe just on nights out tbh, since I straighten my hair and use the leave in conditioner to style my hair I don't really have any issues with styling my hair

Still having issues with loading pictures up so be patience and hopefully sooner than later can get some photos up

Shane, if you're having issues with the pictures, then let me know via PM.

However, your pictures come out huge (as in several megabytes) like I mentioned to you, which will give you issues posting them directly here. Your best bet is to embed them by posting the pictures at imgur.com

It would be a good idea though to reduce the weight (i.e. size on megabytes) of the pictures so that they are only a couple hundred kilobytes at max. If you don't know how to do this without having to reduce the size of the pictures, then send them again to me and I'll reduce the weight of each picture for you.

Looking forward to seeing your hair with the new highlights! Smile

05-02-2014, 02:22 PM
Nothing really new to report

Hair is easier to straighten now, my hair has grown pretty well, got lots of layers

Still on my 1 on 3 off method, I condition every other day now
I use my leave in conditioner every day after straighten my hair, I just prefer using it and it makes my hair feel great
I use some matt clay only when I go out but apart from that I don't use any wax or gel anymore

Staring to see my roots come through, it's been bout 4 weeks since I had my hair done, going to leave it for another 2 weeks then get it trimmed, will get my hair re-streaked the time after
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Chronicling my long hair journey jaysen_ 6 1,123 12-28-2015 12:42 AM
Last Post: jaysen_
  Short hair to long Journey shahrukhch1 21 9,428 12-15-2015 03:56 AM
Last Post: Fantast1c
  Long hair journey to growing a man bun! WesleyGarrett 5 1,817 09-18-2015 07:07 PM
Last Post: WesleyGarrett
  My Journey to Top-knot kle95 11 3,263 05-14-2015 10:35 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum