Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Minoxidil really that good for hair loss?
06-12-2013, 02:11 PM
Minoxidil really that good for hair loss?
All I read on Minoxidil is like from people with a financial interest, can any member here tell me if Minoxidil is going to work for my hair loss pls and if its that really good for mens hair loss?
I think I'm a Norwood III with hair loss in the crown. No lies just honest answer pls.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2013, 03:55 PM
RE: Minoxidil really that good for hair loss?
Vladimir, one of the reasons the Men's Hair Forum was created was to bring a place for all of us to talk the talk about hair. I know what you are referring to people lying and having financial interests in selling dreams to those who suffer from hair loss but unfortunately there will always be scammers looking to make a buck from anyone who is desperate enough for answers. Saying things as they are and cutting through the zombie dust is what separates us from the majority of sites.

Minoxidil is an excellent product but it doesn't produce miracles. You should expect the stopping of the hair loss and even some hair regrowth in the crown but minoxidil will not cure or stop forever your hair loss. For any men with male pattern baldness, minoxidil is an excellent first line of action and will help a lot for a Norwood III.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-13-2013, 06:24 PM
From what Ive read Rogaine (which I think is minoxidil) is one of the few medications that work for hair loss. TheMensHairForum you know if it needs a prescription??
06-18-2013, 09:15 PM
i can't personally comment on minoxidil but a couple of my friends are on it and they swear by it.
06-18-2013, 09:58 PM
Minoxidil is good but you should not be having very high expectations. Minoxidil will slow down the hair loss and may stop it altogether and even regrow some hair back but it depends on how your scalp responds to it.
Some men just get more out of the Minoxidil than other men.

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
06-19-2013, 02:01 PM
What Barber said.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-20-2013, 07:37 PM
Minoxidil is great for men with a Norwood II or III, perhaps even a Norwood IV. Minoxidil will certainly slow down the loss of hair and can stop the balding and even regrow some hair, thus you can get a noticeable improvement on your overall hair aesthetics. However, minoxidil is not a miracle drug in that you will go back to having the mane you had when you were 12, so it is important to have the right expectations of what minoxidil can do.

Minoxidil is best used as part of a regime that includes a thickening shampoo, some minerals and vitamins, a hair loss shampoo (with ketoconazole and maybe a descaling ingredient) and, maybe, finasteride (but research it well before going on it).

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
06-25-2013, 07:24 PM
Well thanks everyone.
I have been reconsidering my options etc... and I think i'm ready to jump on minoxidil before it is too late...
09-26-2013, 08:53 PM
bumping as I want to get my dad on minoxidil, where can I get him sum Smile
09-27-2013, 04:18 PM (This post was last modified: 09-27-2013 04:18 PM by Barber.)
(09-26-2013 08:53 PM)Machado Wrote:  bumping as I want to get my dad on minoxidil, where can I get him sum Smile

TheMensHairForum found a good amazon source some time ago for rogaine which is the best brand for minoxidil (click here for the source). Since rogaine is over the counter you really cant go wrong buying it from amazon. That rogaine source is for six months which is the min. amount of time one has to be on the rogaine to notice any results, preferably six to twelve months is the span to notice solid results from rogaine so if you have the cash grab two boxes.
Cheers

11-01-2013, 03:34 AM
Is rogaine the best or does the other minoxidil products work just as well? Because there seems to be a big difference in price.
11-01-2013, 03:55 AM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2013 03:55 AM by Barber.)
(11-01-2013 03:34 AM)jonx06 Wrote:  Is rogaine the best or does the other minoxidil products work just as well? Because there seems to be a big difference in price.

Rogaine was the first brand to hit the market big but minoxidil is minoxidil. Think about it like medicines, you have generic and you have branded. Minoxidil is almost like a "medicine" so it needs to be manufactured with very high quality standards. Rogaine is very well known whereas the other minoxidil preparations not so much.
Mate to put it bluntly, if you want peace of mind, get rogaine, if you are a bit tight on the budget or just want to mess around with minoxidil, then get another brand. Have a look at the minoxidil suggestions from TheMensHairForum in this hair loss products thread, he gives you another 2 suggestions, Kirkland and Simply Right, they are both good from what I have heard, got a few fellas on the kirkland one.
Cheers

11-01-2013, 05:19 AM
Thanks for the advice I will probably just to for rogaine better to be same than sorry.
11-01-2013, 05:29 AM
(11-01-2013 05:19 AM)jonx06 Wrote:  Thanks for the advice I will probably just to for rogaine better to be same than sorry.

Good choice. Like Barber said before Rogaine is the standard for minoxidil but then you have other choices for minoxidil like the ones we talked in the thread referenced by Barber.

But remember, minoxidil regardless of brand takes at least 3 months to yield results so buy the 3 month pack and if you think it's worth your money, the 6 month pack. Ideally, use minoxidil for 6 months instead of 3 months so you can truly gauge the results. Using minoxidil is very easy, just apply it after showering and you're good to go Smile

I mentioned the 6 month pack in the OTC hair loss medications from Barber but here is the actual product in Amazon again (6 months pack, and in foam form which is the easiest way to apply minoxidil Smile ) I think they only have 1 left (they had full stock a couple of months ago as it sells like candy), if you find that they run out of stock, let me know and I can suggest another Amazon source to get a good Rogaine product deal Wink

11-01-2013, 05:52 AM
(11-01-2013 05:29 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(11-01-2013 05:19 AM)jonx06 Wrote:  Thanks for the advice I will probably just to for rogaine better to be same than sorry.

Good choice. Like Barber said before Rogaine is the standard for minoxidil but then you have other choices for minoxidil like the ones we talked in the thread referenced by Barber.

But remember, minoxidil regardless of brand takes at least 3 months to yield results so buy the 3 month pack and if you think it's worth your money, the 6 month pack. Ideally, use minoxidil for 6 months instead of 3 months so you can truly gauge the results. Using minoxidil is very easy, just apply it after showering and you're good to go Smile

I mentioned the 6 month pack in the OTC hair loss medications from Barber but here is the actual product in Amazon again (6 months pack, and in foam form which is the easiest way to apply minoxidil Smile ) I think they only have 1 left (they had full stock a couple of months ago as it sells like candy), if you find that they run out of stock, let me know and I can suggest another Amazon source to get a good Rogaine product deal Wink

Thanks do you know if they deliver to the uk because on amazon.co.uk for a 6 month supply it costs £100 which is around $160
11-01-2013, 07:28 AM
(11-01-2013 05:52 AM)jonx06 Wrote:  Thanks do you know if they deliver to the uk because on amazon.co.uk for a 6 month supply it costs £100 which is around $160

Oh I see bud! I believe the source I posted before only ships within the United States, instead buy the Rogaine from the source below that ships to UK too:

4-Month Foam Rogaine Supply (click link to the source's official Amazon page)

This one is an excellent international choice as it costs $122 by buying it twice (as each pack is a 4 months supply in foam form which is easy to apply), a single 4-month pack is just $60.99. The fast shipping (2-4 days) to UK is an extra $30, so the total cost for the Rogaine from this source (8 month pack, fast delivery) would be $152 which is about 95 British pounds for an 8 months supply (not 6 months!) so it comes out to be much cheaper than the 6 month pack you get at Amazon UK, and the delivery time will be similar between this Amazon.com source and your Amazon UK.

Or you could just purchase one pack from the source above which is 4 months, but you really want to use it for 6 months (plus minoxidil has to be used daily for years even to keep the hair from falling, it's a long term treatment).

Here is the source again for Rogaine from the above Amazon source (click link). This Rogaine source is an excellent source for international customers, so give that one a go!

For what is worth, Amazon UK is notorious for being too expensive when compared to Amazon.com sources (and factoring fast shipping too!). You will usually get a better bang for your buck buying all your hair products from Amazon.com, plus Amazon.com is the hair product source we recommend for all our US and international readers (including UK). Sometimes you will find some sources don't ship to UK but then simply search for the same product in Amazon and try another source. Any questions, ask them in our forum Wink

The shipping to UK from the above source is $30 but you may find you get a discount if you buy other hair products at the same time (e.g. some hair gel) as Amazon tends to reduce shipping fees if you buy products above certain price thresholds such as $100+ Cool

Let me know how it works out whether you buy from Amazon.com as posted from the link or Amazon UK. Rogaine is pricey but it's among the few hair loss products proven to deliver results (the hair loss industry is full of snake oil and scamming unfortunatelyAngry)

11-01-2013, 07:35 AM
Jonx06, I have had a quick look for a vitamin B pack that ships to the UK too. Men who are experiencing hair loss benefit from a vitamin B complex as the B vitamins are indirectly involved in the metabolism of tissues, including hair follicles.

This is the vitamin B source from Amazon. I'm recommending it to be purchased alongside the Rogaine as when you put more than 1 item, sometimes Amazon discounts the final compound price so you may have shipping fees reduced Smile If you want to buy other hair products that can ship to the UK so you buy everything now in one go, then let me know bud.

EDIT TO SAY: the above vitamin B complex is just one example of how buying a high price product on Amazon (in this case, Rogaine) then allows you to buy low priced products (like the B vitamin complex) as, for example, buying a vitamin B complex alone doesn't allow you to benefit from discounts you may get by buying the vitamin B with other products, especially high priced products.

So consider buying other products (other than the vitamin B complex) with this purchase of Rogaine so as to benefit for discounts etc from the higher final price!

11-02-2013, 01:02 AM
Thanks for the help once I get paid I will give it ago .
11-02-2013, 11:50 AM
(11-02-2013 01:02 AM)jonx06 Wrote:  Thanks for the help once I get paid I will give it ago .

No probs Jon. Using Rogaine (or the Rogaine alternatives) is a long term investment and commitment. When you look at the monthly cost of Rogaine as per the Amazon.com source that ships to the UK I recommended to you above (so $150 including shipping for 8 months supply), it comes to $19 per month which is just under 12 British pounds per month or the equivalent of 2 packets of cigarettes (aren't Marlboro's something like 6 GBP a pack there?).

Obviously you will have to continue using the Rogaine for as long as you want to keep the hair that grows back during the first 4-8 months, but for 12 GBP it's a good deal. Don't (or any other international readers) be somewhat put off by buying 8 months worth in advance and upfront, the stuff doesn't technically expire (i.e. it continues to work effectively well beyond its expiry date) so you can buy even a year's worth or 16 months in one go if you wanted to take advantage of lowered shipping fees and other discounts the source at Amazon may provide!

If you got any questions when the paycheck comes and you think you're ready to buy the Rogaine from that link, you can now open a thread of your own in case you have any last minute questions Smile And of course do keep us posted with how your results go, any cosmetic improvements, how the applying is going etc We have some guys in the forum already on Rogaine and they are loving it!

11-16-2013, 08:41 AM
I've noticed that Minoxidil has become much more available now over the counter - testimony to its efficiency?
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Minoxidil Regime? catchingitearly 0 70 11-17-2016 10:16 PM
Last Post: catchingitearly
  Is this hair loss? AwesomeHair 0 422 09-11-2016 05:31 AM
Last Post: AwesomeHair
  Has my topknot caused hair loss? -KANE- 0 389 08-18-2016 11:14 AM
Last Post: -KANE-
  Natural alternative solutions for treating hair loss alexdeen75 1 463 07-23-2016 11:29 PM
Last Post: Reborn Hair PPP