Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Minoxidil FAQ: Beard Growth, Thicker Facial Hair and Eyebrows 5 1
Minoxidil FAQ: Beard Growth, Thicker Facial Hair and Eyebrows
12-03-2018, 05:07 PM
Thumbs Up Minoxidil FAQ: Beard Growth, Thicker Facial Hair and Eyebrows

Frequently Asked Questions on Minoxidil Use for Thicker Beard, Fuller Facial Hair and Denser Eyebrows

After our popular guide on minoxidil for beard thickening, it's now that we post this Frequently Asked Questions guide to address some of the tidbits that may crop up when following our minoxidil guide.

While these questions may be common, we absolutely recommend that you read our aforementioned minoxidil guide first (in the previous link). Stuff like what is minoxidil or how it works to promote facial-hair development has been answered in detail in our guide already.

Disclaimer: First things first. Minoxidil is only approved as a treatment for male pattern baldness or alopecia. When used as such, minoxidil is safe and devoid of any harsh side effects. Minoxidil is not approved for use as a facial-hair enhancer such as for achieving a denser beard or eyebrows. On the other hand, plenty of anecdotes from forum members plus some scientific evidence do point to minoxidil being an effective (and safe) facial-hair enhancer for both beard hair and eyebrow hair. Minoxidil-containing products are legally sold over the counter online (e.g. Amazon) and in many countries such as the USA and many European countries, but we still recommend that you seek medical advice prior to using minoxidil as a facial-hair enhancer.

With all of the above said, let's answer many frequently-asked questions pertaining to the use of minoxidil on facial hair. We've divided this FAQ in several posts within this thread, so simply continue to browse down as you finish reading each post.

How is minoxidil used for beard growth/thickening or eyebrow enhancement?

Minoxidil is applied topically (i.e. on the skin) in either a liquid form or a foam form.

Should I use minoxidil daily for facial-hair enhancing (e.g. growing a denser beard)?

Yes. Preferably twice a day (morning and noon). Leave a 4-hour gap between each daily application.

How long does minoxidil take to start making an effect?

The effect upon absorption is fairly rapid. However, noticeable changes from minoxidil use in facial hair thickness and density can take up to 6 months to manifest. Almost all facial-hair enhancement results are readily apparent after 12 months of daily use, which is why we recommend at least 12 months of daily use of minoxidil instead of 6 months.

How long should I use minoxidil for facial hair enhancement (beard and/or eyebrows)?

For at least 6 months. If you can afford it, then 12 months and even 24 months. All continuous daily use (i.e. no break periods), of course.

Visible results tend to manifest faster in the eyebrows as opposed to the beard; one of the reasons for this phenomenon is due to the eyebrows simply having less hair follicles (due to innate surface area) and less patchy areas to fill up.

If, by the sixth month of daily minoxidil use, you've barely improved, then do not give up and continue using minoxidil for another six months.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2018, 05:09 PM
How to apply and coat minoxidil on the beard, eyebrows and rest of facial hair.

Should I use 3% minoxidil concentration or 5% minoxidil concentration?

Use 5% minoxidil concentration. Most minoxidil-based products like Rogaine use a 5% concentration of minoxidil for optimal results. We recommend THIS minoxidil product; try to get at least a 6-month supply (e.g. 2 packs) in one go (i.e. in one purchase), although a 12-month supply (e.g. 4 packs) is better as minoxidil for facial hair enhancement can take up to 12 months for full results and benefits.

Should I use liquid minoxidil or foam minoxidil?

Foam is superior, so go with the foam version if possible.

Should I coat all the area of my face encompassing my beard?

Yes. Use the minoxidil where you want enhanced hair development to take place. Follow the product's directions, even if the directions refer to applying the minoxidil on the scalp.

How about the eyebrows if I want denser/thicker eyebrows?

Same as above. Coat your eyebrows with the minoxidil. Just make sure that you don't get the minoxidil foam/liquid in your eyes.

Should I let my beard grow while using minoxidil?

Ideally, no. The longer your beard is, the harder to spot the improvements in beard density and growth as time goes by. Furthermore, a longer beard impairs the full absorption of the minoxidil just because there's so much facial hair acting as a barrier.

If you want to sport a beard during your minoxidil use, use a beard trimmer to keep the length of your beard shorter than one inch.

Can I shave while using minoxidil on my beard?

Yes, but always shave prior to applying the minoxidil on your facial hair/beard. Shaving is encouraged as it also mildly exfoliates the skin which enhances the absorption of the minoxidil.

Make sure to not irritate your skin while shaving. Go easy and only use a mild shaving cream or soap with the least amount of ingredients possible.

Should I apply the minoxidil right after shaving?

Yes. As soon as you've shaved, apply the minoxidil. Do not use any kind of moisturizer or aftershave after shaving. Finish shaving, clean your face with a mild soap and then apply the minoxidil.

How fast is the minoxidil absorbed when applied to facial hair, beard or eyebrows?

Foam minoxidil is almost immediate (about 20-30 minutes), while liquid minoxidil can take up to one hour or more. As a rule of thumb, allow up to 4 hours for the minoxidil to fully absorb. Do not add anything to your face (like a facial moisturizer) in these 4 hours.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
12-03-2018, 05:11 PM
Hair growth gains on beard and eyebrows with minoxidil, plus side effects.

Is the additional thicker facial hair gained on the beard and eyebrows from minoxidil permanent?

For the most part, yes. You may lose some of your gains if you stop the minoxidil, but the degree of loss seems to be highly individual. Most of the losses are from vellus hair strands, anyway.

Then why do folks using minoxidil for male pattern baldness lose their minoxidil-induced gains when they stop using the minoxidil?

Hair follicles in the scalp have other beasts to fight, chiefly dihydrotestosterone (DHT).

Can I use on my beard or eyebrows any other common hair-loss treatments that work through the blocking/antagonizing of DHT?

No! Doing so would actually impair your ability to grow a beard. Stay away from the likes of finasteride, dutasteride or saw palmetto. Antiandrogens/DHT-blockers (direct or indirect) are a huge no if you want a fuller thicker beard. Minoxidil's mechanism of action doesn't mess around with DHT, hence its specific use for facial hair.

How about ketoconazole?

Avoid it too. Bear in mind that ketoconazole is found in some anti-dandruff shampoos and in some topical creams for a myriad of skin issues.

I'm in my 20s and my beard has yet to fill up. I'm considering minoxidil but I would rather not use it. What can I do?

Male facial hair continues to thicken and become denser well into a male's thirties. Your beard will fill up more just from getting older. Minoxidil may accelerate the process, but we have no scientific evidence to back this up. Also, if your close male relatives (father, brothers, cousins) in their thirties and older have patchy beards, you're very likely to also end up with a patchy beard in your thirties. Take that into account.

What are the side effects of topical minoxidil use on facial hair?

From our reports, transient skin irritation, dry skin and mild photosensitivity are the most common side effects and they're both rare and mild. Another interesting side effect of minoxidil use on facial hair is the additional gain of hair in other areas of the body such as the arms, thighs and chest. However, the hair gained in such body parts is very minor and won't turn you into a hairy mass; it also tends to fade after minoxidil use (while hair gains in the areas where the minoxidil was applied directly are mostly kept after discontinuing minoxidil).

12-03-2018, 05:13 PM
Supplements that may augment facial hair growth with minoxidil.

What minerals, vitamins or supplements can help with augmenting my facial hair's response to minoxidil?

Unless you're malnourished or critically ill, then nutritional supplements won't give you much of an advantage. However, hair development and maintenance requires certain nutrients for an optimal growth-inducing scenario. Likewise, some supplements (as listed below) may yield a minor positive impact, even when one isn't malnourished or severely ill. Since most folks seeking a thicker beard or fuller eyebrows want to make the most of their minoxidil use, then using supplements may add further to their facial-hair-enhancing efforts.

Here are some supplements that may help you when using minoxidil on your beard or eyebrows:
  • Vitamin C
  • Vitamin E
  • Fish oil or cod liver oil
  • Vitamin A (do not use if using cod liver oil)
  • Zinc
  • Methylsulfonylmethane
  • Biotin
  • L-Carnitine (L-)Tartrate
  • Capsaicin
  • Curcumin

How about tretinoin?

Tretinoin (not to be confused with isotretinoin) has been used experimentally by balding folks to enhance the absorption of minoxidil. Moreover, tretinoin increases collagen synthesis and turnover, which may aid in encouraging a more-optimal growth scenario for hair and follicles.

A side effect of tretinoin is extreme photosensitivity, which means that those using tretinoin must avoid sun exposure at all costs or use sunscreen when outdoors, even in winter. Tretinoin may offer an additional advantage to minoxidil use, but we cannot recommend it. If you use it, it's at your own risk (as is using minoxidil itself or anything else for that matter).

How about dermarolling?

Some people advocate for the use of dermarolling to increase collagen synthesis and achieve a similar result as that of tretinoin. Dermarolling is experimental at best and it's easy to irritate the skin with it too. It may be worth a shot as an adjunct to your minoxidil use.

If you still intend on using tretinoin or dermarolling, it's best that you avoid their use during your first six months of minoxidil use.

Are there before and after photos of minoxidil improving facial hair, beard or eyebrows?

Yes, see our minoxidil guide for a plethora of reported cases with before and after photographs.

How can I ask any questions on minoxidil use for facial hair growth

Post them here or in our minoxidil guide; we'll be happy to help you.

12-05-2018, 12:26 PM
RE: Minoxidil FAQ: Beard Growth, Thicker Facial Hair and Eyebrows
You've answered everything anyone needs to know to use minoxidil for beard growth. I've been using minoxidil for such a purpose and I can relate to some of the questions in this faq guide. Good point on mentioning how other hair loss treatments should not be used for beard growth. It'd be very easy for some to think that if minoxidil works for beard growth, the other stuff like finasteride will too.

I've kept my beard shaved and I have not experienced any skin irritation from the minoxidil. Some people do though. Very interested in the tretinoin idea as it makes sense from a biological point of view.

Cannot recommend enough that one uses minoxidil twice a day as suggested in this guide. I got better progress with twice a day minoxidil for beard growth. Also give it time, totally agree with at least 6 months, that's the minimum amount of time to use minoxidil. A year is even better. Results are real and very noticeable. Wish I would have hopped on minoxidil earlier but that's life.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Lightbulb Best products for thicker beard growth and fuller facial hair Mane Man 2 47 12-07-2018 01:00 PM
Last Post: Panther
Video Facial Hair and Beard Color Ideas - Merman Gallery Guide Panther 5 249 12-07-2018 11:11 AM
Last Post: Panther
Star Minoxidil Guide for Thicker Beard, Facial Hair and Fuller Eyebrows TheMensHairForum 9 148 12-05-2018 02:59 PM
Last Post: Ebony
Exclamation Do not use Trioxidil or Foligain for beard growth as with minoxidil! Beard on Minoxidil 1 36 12-05-2018 02:49 PM
Last Post: Ebony