Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimum hair length for man bun hairstyle and topknot?
02-17-2015, 03:53 PM
Question Minimum hair length for man bun hairstyle and topknot?
I have read the hairstyling guides in the forum for the man bun hairstyle and the topknot hair style. I love those 2 guides as there is a lot of useful advice in them so this is more of a question to confirm what is sort of said in the guides. What is the minimum hair length for the man bun? and what is the minimum hair length for the topknot?

Man bun: minimum hair length is 8 inches, but needs 10 inches to tie all the hair on the head into the bun. Reference:
http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...ht=man+bun

Top knot: minimum hair length is 6 inches, but 1 or 2 extra inches makes the hairstyle more aesthetic. Reference:
http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...t=top+knot

Can anyone confirm the minimum hair lengths for these 2 long hairstyles please?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2015, 09:14 AM
RE: Minimum hair length for man bun hairstyle and topknot?
Good question mate. You're right with the hair lengths. I think six inches is the bare minimal hair length for the manbun. Or for the topknot. Either way. With six inches tho you may find that tying the hair is a bit hard as you really need to pull.

If you find yourself tying too hard, then I would say grow an extra inch or couple of centimetres of hair length. That way you still have enough hair length to make the knot or bun small and aesthetic while you can tie your hair easily.

If you are going for the whole manbun, basically all your hair tied into one bun, then yes you will need longer hair. About ten inches or twenty five centimetres is a great hair length for the manbun. The topknot hairstyle turns into a ponytail at this length so if you want a topknot, then keep your hair length between six and eight inches.
02-20-2015, 02:53 PM
6 inches of hair length for the top knot and 10 inches of hair lengt for the man bun.
(02-17-2015 03:53 PM)Alex Wrote:  I have read the hairstyling guides in the forum for the man bun hairstyle and the topknot hair style. I love those 2 guides as there is a lot of useful advice in them so this is more of a question to confirm what is sort of said in the guides. What is the minimum hair length for the man bun? and what is the minimum hair length for the topknot?

Man bun: minimum hair length is 8 inches, but needs 10 inches to tie all the hair on the head into the bun. Reference:
http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...ht=man+bun

Top knot: minimum hair length is 6 inches, but 1 or 2 extra inches makes the hairstyle more aesthetic. Reference:
http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...t=top+knot

Can anyone confirm the minimum hair lengths for these 2 long hairstyles please?

Alex, those are indeed the hair lengths for the man bun and top knot. However, use those lengths as the minimum hair length to achieve. Depending on how big is your head, those lengths may fall a bit short and you would have to pull your back way too hard and tie the bun way too tight.

Traction alopecia is a real issue with the man bun and topknot, so don't just aim for X or Y hair length and call it a day.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
02-21-2015, 03:23 PM
(02-20-2015 02:53 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Alex, those are indeed the hair lengths for the man bun and top knot. However, use those lengths as the minimum hair length to achieve. Depending on how big is your head, those lengths may fall a bit short and you would have to pull your back way too hard and tie the bun way too tight.

Traction alopecia is a real issue with the man bun and topknot, so don't just aim for X or Y hair length and call it a day.

Can i ask you... even if one could not care about hair care would it still be possible to get a topknot with four inches of hair length? just curious as i would not risk my follicles for that, but i'm curious enough to have started a thread for that question Big Grin
02-22-2015, 06:46 AM
(02-21-2015 03:23 PM)Machado Wrote:  Can i ask you... even if one could not care about hair care would it still be possible to get a topknot with four inches of hair length? just curious as i would not risk my follicles for that, but i'm curious enough to have started a thread for that question Big Grin

I just posted in your other thread asking the same and my reply was that it simply is not worth pulling your hair too hard to get a topknot. If what you want is just to tie some of your hair into a very short pony tail then that will be fine. However if what you want is a proper topknot, you will:
A) damage your hair in the long term
B) not even have even hair length to tie a topknot anyway unless your head is the size of a toddler!
02-27-2015, 07:59 AM
As someone who realized he was losing his hair a bit too late, I would recommend you to listen to these guys. Even if you were starting to get a mild receding hairline you would kill your hairline with the topknot hairstyle.

Maybe because you are in this forum and have read about hair loss but not everybody can spot when his hairline is receding. I see the top knot hairstyle as a hairstyle for men in their teens and twenties or the guys in their fifties still rocking a norwood 1, but other than that it's a risky hairstyle for anyone who worries about keeping his hair IMO

Just my two cents Smile
03-23-2015, 06:51 AM
More details on the minimum length for the man bun.
I am posting below a reply that I posted over at the manbun hairstyle guide in which I talk a little bit more about the minimum hair length for the man bun.

The hair length needed for your man bun will depend on whether you want a full man bun or a man bun Undercut or topknot.

Full man bun:

This is the manbun style in which all your scalp hair (i.e. all the hair on your head) is tied into the bun. To get a full man bun, you will need at least 10 inches, although 12 inches is better.

Man bun Undercut or top knot:

With the man bun Undercut, you will only be tying the hair on the top of your head as the sides and back will be done in an Undercut haircut. The minimum hair length for the manbun Undercut is 6 inches, although we recommend to grow the hair a little bit more to 8 inches. Same goes for the topknot.

The problem with the minimum lengths for the man bun (whether a full bun or an Undercut bun) is that they are the shortest lengths needed to tie a bun by pulling and tying it tightly. Traction alopecia is a real risk with man buns and while you need to wear a tight bun 24/7 for months on end, it's an issue that is there and that is even more important to avoid in men who are beginning to bald, as a tight bun will accelerate the loss of hair around the hairline.

Since you have 3 inches of hair length currently, you still have about 6 months of waiting to do to get to 6 inches of hair length. The average hair growth rate for an adult male is half an inch per month, although this can vary depending on diet, thyroid output, cortisol levels and disease.

Make sure to optimize your nutrition and add in some vitamin and minerals if your diet isn't very good. Most men walk around with a slower hair growth rate than their genes allow due to bad nutrition habits. Optimizing your intake of hair-friendly vitamins like vitamin A and C and minerals like zinc as well as omega-3 fatty acids (from fish oil or cod liver oil) can increase your hair growth and get you stronger hair strands. This is indeed a plausible road to take if you wan to grow enough hair length for a man bun as fast as possible! Smile

If you want to know about the nutrients needed to optimize your hair growth speed, then have a look at our hair nutrition discussion for more details on getting the most out of what your genes allow you.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What hairstyle suits best! hadiawan 0 96 12-01-2016 12:45 AM
Last Post: hadiawan
  Medium slickback hairstyle Gias98 0 296 10-20-2016 12:50 PM
Last Post: Gias98
  Help identify my hair for a new hairstyle gabriel777 2 316 10-18-2016 09:34 AM
Last Post: gabriel777
  Long hair side shaved grow to man bun hairstyle or top knot? darkguy2 3 321 10-17-2016 08:44 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz