Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Messy Hairstyles For Men: How to, Pictures, Ideas
06-16-2013, 03:57 PM
Messy Hairstyles For Men: How to, Pictures, Ideas
Messy hairstyles for men have been trending for some time and the cool thing is tha they can be done on straight hair, wavy hair and curly coiled hair.

There is no specific hair shape for messy hairstyles, it should just be messy! The messy hairstyle is done by tousling the hair with the fingers and shaking the head, you can then direct the hair as a final touch however you want the hair to be in the messy hairstyle.

Messy hairstyles for men pictures
Here is some inspiration to get your hair all messy in a cool way Big Grin

[Image: a0f1bd56615aa4a3005f6244be18af7a.jpg]

[Image: 7948ce3193d0187a4b9ad1254cb0302b.jpg]

[Image: 98f5d843d64b4265a3d9b51b1b903e2e.jpg]

[Image: 21359.jpg]

Messy hairstyles can be done with just about any hair type!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-16-2013, 04:00 PM
RE: Messy Hairstyles For Men: How to, Pictures, Ideas
Zac Efron messy hairstyle

[Image: zac-efron-fourth-of-july-vanessa-hudgens-15.jpg]

Jude Law messy hairstyle

[Image: 8ed8c7eef696b2e32a2e4705d42a9864.jpg]

Messy hairstyle for long hair
See attached image

The trick is to use the fingers to style!!

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-16-2013, 06:33 PM
It's important to use your fingers as you rightly say to style a messy hairstyle; this is specially so with curly hair (any of the types). Light hairstyling products should be used with care to not get the chosen styling product on the scalp.

Good thread idea TMHF!

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
06-17-2013, 05:28 PM
Chaz Ortiz messy hairstyle for his wavy hair

[Image: 34881_136476196379950_116201605074076_27...9366_n.jpg]

06-17-2013, 06:32 PM
Adrian Grenier Messy hairstyle

[Image: malin-akerman-josh-radnor-adrian-grenier...ing-01.jpg]

Hair products for Messy hairstyles

For a more natural messy hairstyle, use hair mousse and a hair dryer. Coat your hair with hair mousse then blow dry the hair while tousling the hair with your fingers.

Get this hair mousse
Get this hair dryer

For a more shaped messy hairstyle, use hair wax to tousle your hair with the fingers.

Get this hair wax

When you tousle the hair you can then concentrate on a couple of locks to define them by running the fingers from the scalp to the tips.

06-17-2013, 09:03 PM
Messy hairstyles suit young looking dudes the best especially with medium length straight hair or wavy hair! Cool

Josh Radnor messy hairstyle

[Image: josh-radnor.jpg]

[Image: josh-radnor-2010-cbs-upfronts-051Ysb.jpg]
06-19-2013, 03:15 PM
(06-17-2013 05:28 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Chaz Ortiz messy hairstyle for his wavy hair

[Image: 34881_136476196379950_116201605074076_27...9366_n.jpg]

Hello, you answered my question yahoo answers about this hair style. I'm wondering if there's a certain mousse & blow-dryer I should use? I'm also African-American and may hair has grown out to be quite big.
06-19-2013, 04:16 PM (This post was last modified: 06-19-2013 04:18 PM by Barber.)
Skate_Theory, welcome to our forum Smile

Can you post a picture of your hair? kinky hair (afro textured) is different to treat and I can have a look myself -don't know who answered your question though- Im assuming your hair type is "kinky" so a messy hairstyle will have a different style. Please read this thread so you can identify your hair type http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...Kinky-hair

I suggest you open a thread with a picture of you so we can all have a look.

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
07-02-2013, 02:44 PM
Just spotted this Messy hairstyle of Neymar with his straightened hair and all sweaty, dont look too nice and is what you get for constantly flat ironing your hair

[Image: 1356541893_extras_mosaico_noticia_1_1.jpg]

08-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Curly bobcut messy hairstyle

excellent curly bobcat haircut emphasizing a messy hairstyle/look, really like it.

[Image: dea2551fec78990cf6680ceb025ada9e.jpg]

08-08-2013, 03:16 PM
Harry Styles messy hairstyle with side part

Harry Styles never gets bored of the messy hairstyle with tousled side bang, thinking it has become his iconic hair style by now

[Image: article-2386843-1B262273000005DC-966_306x768.jpg]

11-25-2013, 03:52 PM (This post was last modified: 11-25-2013 03:53 PM by Barber.)
I have attached a picture of a curly hair man with a messy hairstyle. I think coiled curly hair looks quite really good with a messy carefree hairstyle.

(06-17-2013 06:32 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Hair products for Messy hairstyles

For a more natural messy hairstyle, use hair mousse and a hair dryer. Coat your hair with hair mousse then blow dry the hair while tousling the hair with your fingers.

Get this hair mousse
Get this hair dryer

For a more shaped messy hairstyle, use hair wax to tousle your hair with the fingers.

Get this hair wax

When you tousle the hair you can then concentrate on a couple of locks to define them by running the fingers from the scalp to the tips.

Great selection of hair products for messy hairstyles. For curly hair though, use the hair mousse + hair dryer, don't use the hair wax.

11-27-2013, 09:12 AM
(07-02-2013 02:44 PM)Barber Wrote:  Just spotted this Messy hairstyle of Neymar with his straightened hair and all sweaty, dont look too nice and is what you get for constantly flat ironing your hair

[Image: 1356541893_extras_mosaico_noticia_1_1.jpg]

wow, looks...not to good.
12-22-2013, 01:45 PM (This post was last modified: 12-22-2013 01:45 PM by Alex.)
(06-17-2013 06:32 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Adrian Grenier Messy hairstyle

Hair products for Messy hairstyles

Get this hair wax

i found that hair wax [redken] useful for the messy hairstyle, not 2 hard and makes the hair look clean but messy clean Cool
12-28-2013, 06:04 PM
This is a cool messy hairstyle for wavy hair - medium length close to a long length

[Image: 529px-Louis_Garrel.JPG]
01-09-2014, 02:03 PM
Cool wavy hair messy style
You can tell how each hair type looks unique when it is tousled, straight hair/wavy/curly coiled hair, they all look cool when done right!
This one is a tousled style for wavy hair:

[Image: 1526673_437123843081748_1886265428_n.jpg]

I also mentioned in another thread a clay wax and styling wax to use that will be interesting for guys wanting good control of their "mess" Big Grin if you want your messy hairstyle with a good hold but no shine and just a more matte natural look then get this hair clay wax (allows more a natural look) or this styling hair wax (allows more shaping).
04-16-2014, 01:05 PM
More pictures of messy hairstyles. The 3 pictures after the first one below are those of Alex Pettyfer's hair. Alex Pettyfer is a British actor and he has appeared in movies like The Butler.

[Image: E7lxpXv.jpg]

[Image: Alex+Main.jpg]

[Image: GQ-Feb-2011-alex-pettyfer-18599154-1500-2057.jpg]

[Image: GQ-Feb-2011-alex-pettyfer-18599159-1456-1999.jpg]

04-16-2014, 09:50 PM
I'd add pics of
Matts Hummel but I need 50 posts, there are some other players that I can think like Neymar who's already been mentioned to
05-12-2014, 11:54 AM
Check out these two cool messy hair styles with wavy hair and coiled curly hair. Men with curly hair can also rock some cool messy locks!

[Image: tumblr_n59fexQ7XJ1qg22hlo1_1280.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_n59fghGpNo1qg22hlo1_1280.jpg]

10-24-2014, 03:28 PM
In another thread, I posted the following messy hairstyle guide. I'm posting it here to add more material on how to get messy hair. It basically comes down to using the right mens hair products according to your hair type.

This is a step by step tutorial on the messy hairstyle and how to tousle your hair. I also mention some products that favor the messy style, and I am sure that the mods can post links to reputable online vendors to buy the products from, including Amazon which I regard as the best place to buy mens hair products. Many of the products are in the sticky hair products guide so you can use that as reference too.

One of the most surprising things about the messy 'bed head' hairstyle is that it can be achieved in mere minutes or it can be a very time consuming process. The time difference depends on the length, texture and cut of your hair, the amount and type of products used, and styling techniques or tools used to create the look.

Celebrities such as Zac Efron and Fabio Coentrao favor the messy hair style look, but not everyone is a famous celebrity with their own personal hairstylist. Knowing some secret tips and tricks or having a step-by-step guide can help the average person create a modern and stylish tousled hairstyle at home.

Haircut:

The first thing to take into consideration is the haircut. The more layers the better, especially if your hair is thick. Chunky layers will keep hair from being too weighed down, making it easier to achieve great volume and directional flow. Short thick hair and longer medium length locks are the easiest types and lengths to work with. Having a successful outcome with thin hair can be a bit of a challenge because mousse, gel, or wax products tend to weigh down thin hair, but it's not impossible.

Styling for normal to thick hair:

Creating the "controlled chaos" bed head look on short thick hair like Zac Efron's hair can be very simple. After shampooing your hair, towel dry it so that it is left damp and then apply a strong hold styling wax such as Tigi's styling wax. Lightly towel dry the hair again and swish it back and forth quickly you're your hand, fingers, and a wide tooth metal comb to help lift the hair from the scalp. Top it off with a light finishing spray such as Tigi's hairspray to keep the style in place and you're ready to head out the door.

Styling for thin hair:

If your hair is thin, you will have to work a bit harder. One of the best tricks for thin hair is to use some lightweight mousse or gel such as Agadir's styling mousse. Apply the gel to wet hair before starting the drying process. Then use your fingers and hands to pull sections of hair in different directions as it dries. This will create texture and volume by tricking the eye to focus on multiple focal points as if the hair is molded and swirled in multiple directions.

Another great tip for styling thin hair in a messy hairstyle is to put the blow dryer on the lowest setting and pull the hair up high and far away from the scalp as it dries. This will create plenty of volume, separation and it will also give the illusion of volume. An excellent hair dryer to use for giving a lot of volume and style to thin hair is the T3 deluxe hair dryer. You can also use a hair pick to keep the hair lifted off the scalp as it dries.

Use a lightweight but sturdy hold finishing spray such as Tigi's hair spray to keep the hair in place. This product is a fine mist that goes on lightly and dries almost instantly, so it will not weigh the hair down with wetness before it dries like some other hairsprays do.

Styling for long hair:

For longer hair about the length of Jared Leto's hair, use some styling mousse on the hair while it's still damp. After applying the mousse, twist tendrils of damp hair around your finger into a spiral shape.

If your long hair is thin, use smaller amounts of hair in the tendrils than if your hair is thick. If time isn't a factor, let the hair dry naturally. For faster drying, use a blow dryer with a diffuser. Using a diffuser will reduce frizz and static. After the hair is dry, run your fingers lightly through it or toss your head around a bit to loosen up the tendrils. Finish with a light setting spray such as Sexy Hair's hair spray.

An even easier method to tousle your long mane and successfully pull the messy hairstyle, braid the hair while it's damp and sleep in the braids. Apply a medium hold styling mousse before braiding. The next morning, undo the braids and gently toss your head about to separate the hair. Use a texturizing spray such as Sexy Hair's hair spray to keep the style in place and you're good to go.

Styling for wavy hair and curly hair:

For hair that already has some volume and curled shape, use a styling mousse such as John Frieda's styling mousse. Next, you'll want to wad and scrunch up the hair with your fingers and hands. Scrunch it up nice and tight and let the hair dry. After it's dry, use a hair pick to gently separate the bunches. Or you can simply leave it alone. Whatever you do, don't brush it because that will cause the hair to frizz.

To give curly hair a sleeker, straighter look and still keep a nice tousled bed head appeal, use a good styling cream. Smooth it on the top layer of the hair and on the ends of each section. Styling cream will give the hair texture, shine, and hold but will allow you to sculpt it easily. One of the best styling creams is the Moroccanoil styling cream.

Conclusion:

There you have it! You should now be able to create your own stylish and tousled 'bed head' hair style look using the tips in this step-by-step hairstyle guide.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Undercut Hairstyle: How to, Haircut, Pictures, Products - OFFICIAL thread Barber 200 625,956 10-07-2016 08:51 PM
Last Post: shenefbs
  Mohawk hairstyle and haircut guide - How to and Pictures TheMensHairForum 16 24,215 07-31-2016 11:40 PM
Last Post: Kiddfresh
  2 Step Undercut Hairstyle: Official Haircut Guide with Pictures and How-To Advice Jurgen 6 112,215 07-21-2016 08:44 PM
Last Post: Dwight
  Middle Part Curtains Hairstyle Guide: How To Style, Pictures, Products and more TheMensHairForum 13 69,216 06-15-2016 03:04 PM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum