Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mens Hairstyles and Face Shapes Guide: Round, Triangle, Square, Oval
07-03-2014, 03:02 PM
Mens Hairstyles and Face Shapes Guide: Round, Triangle, Square, Oval
Hi gents! I would like to post below a guide on mens hairstyles for face shapes. As a barber I get lots of questions on each male face shapes and hairstyle, what hair styles to choose for which face shape, what is the right length of hair for a round face or square head etc I had yet to see in the forum a guide on mens hairstyles and face shapes, so I would like to publish one below for all of you. It is the kinda stuff I tell my barbershop clients and based on experience and training.
Please mods feel free to move this post if you think this face shape guide should be posted anywhere else in the forum. Also pls add extra material if needed like relevant links or any typos I made Big Grin

The perfect hairstyle for your face shape

Choosing the perfect hair style can seem a little daunting. Usually, it’s something you might trust to a stylist to tell you. It doesn’t seem like there’s much difference between hair styles, but the wrong cut or part can make or break your style. Barbers and stylists have had one sneaky trick up their sleeves for years, and we’re passing it on to you.

What’s one of the secrets to a great hairstyle? Choosing the right hairstyle for your face shape. With a few materials and a little patience, you can find out what your face is shaped like. Once you’re certain, have a look at my suggestions a little bit down for tips that will match your face to the ultimate hairstyle.

Ok before I continue... IMO hair type, hair length and your personality are even more important than face shape. But the shape of your face can be like the icing on the cake to a really aesthetic style Smile

Quick way to discover your face shape

You’re never too old for a little science experiment. Let’s go over the basics before we decide which hairstyle is right for your face shape. What you’ll need:
  • A piece of paper
  • A pen
  • A dry-erase marker
  • A mirror, the one in your bathroom will work
First, start off by drawing these shapes on your piece of paper. You’ll need a round circle, a square, an upside down triangle, and a tall oval shape.

Now, head to the mirror and grab your marker. If you don’t have a dry-erase marker or something washable to draw with (girlfriend’s tube of lipstick, for example) just wait until after a shower to trace shapes on the mirror. Look straight forward and draw the outline of your face as best as you can. Once you’re done, match it as close as possible to one of the shapes on your reference sheet.

What's the right hairstyle for you?

Round face: Rounded faces look great with slightly asymmetric cuts and thin styles. With a rounded face, you have to be careful not to accentuate and add to the roundness – you want to minimize it by providing visual interest and bringing the face back into proportion.

[Image: Y3ekL0R.png]

Square face: Strong, squared jaw and straight sides? You’ve got a square face. Don’t be afraid to go for a style with a little altitude – keep it short, spike it up in the middle and work with your natural angles. IMO, the best haircut for a square face is the undercut and the best styles for your face shape will keep it simple and clean around the ears.

[Image: 6hzDe30.png]

Triangular face: Face shapes with wide foreheads and thin chin areas benefit from volume on the sides. Add volume to the top with bangs or with long hair that hang on the side or texture that hits the face asymmetrically fro the sides including side burns. This will balance out your narrow chin perfectly.

[Image: d40B5Er.png]

Oval face: Those with slightly elongated faces will find that nearly any hairstyle is right for their face shape. Proportion is naturally at play here and allows you to choose whatever style you like. Slightly parting longer hair on an asymmetrical cut will draw attention away from strong features. Also any kind of taper haircuts that focus length on the top are good. With an oval face, you don't have to worry about your face shape for the perfect hairstyle but about your hair type!

[Image: CjwXGhS.png]

Don’t be shy the next time you see a hairdresser – let them know what type of face you have and ask their opinion, too. Check out some stylish celebrities and decide if they’re hair is right for you – all you have to do is match face shapes! Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2014, 03:49 PM
RE: Mens Hairstyles and Face Shapes Guide: Round, Triangle, Square, Oval
I will also update this guide with pictures of celebrities with each face shape and also with hair products for face shapes. Please feel free to add more to it as it is a 'work in progress' guide! Smile
07-04-2014, 12:30 PM
Are triangle and heart shaped the same ?
07-05-2014, 12:21 PM
hey man thank you for this guide. I did the test like you put in the guide to know my face shape and it is square. So undercut hairstyle is good for a square face? i like to comb my hair to the side but I do not want a gradual haircut in the laterals of my head. Instead I would like to try the undercut hairstyle.
Sorry for my english but I hope you can understand my question Smile
07-19-2014, 07:57 AM
Ive always had trouble trying to find a cut to fit my face. I have a round face shape and Ive had so many when i get home I'm like "this just looks terrible". I am still on the lookout for a hairstylist that understands this and cares to tell me that it just won't suit me. Thanks for the post!
07-23-2014, 12:20 PM
Yo Bradley great face shape guide! what I have found is that hair type and hair length are my main keys for my hairstyles. Like face shape is fine in most cases and a good hairstyle for the right hair type & length will get it right most of the time if not all the time.
Thanks for the guide, any chance you could post some celebrity face shapes to use as examples in the guide? really appreciate if you could post the face shape pictures or admin could. Hope is ok asking!
08-20-2014, 06:21 AM
Here is more to hairstyles for face shapes. Remember though that this is just a guide and that a mans hairstyle depends on a lot of other things. Also personality counts a lot from my experience. Have some sawg and you can wear any hairstyle you want. How else do you think the rappers of the eighties got away with those huge high top fade haircuts?? Big Grin

When creating a hairstyle for a guy according to his face shape we call this facial contouring. The hair follows the contour or shape of the face so that harmony is achieved. But like I say all goes out the window if you have a rally cool personality or have some kind of really aesthetic facial feature like contrasting eyes, symmetrical face, nice teeth etc

It is generally recognised that the most attractive facial shape for men is the oval face shape. Men who don't have an oval face shape can use their hair style and their facial hair to help their face appear more oval. Basically you achieve hairstyle harmony.

An oval face can pretty much wear any style without too much effort. It's easier for men with oval shapes to stay current with the trends because they all look attractive on them. For the rest of the face shapes, a little planning and a little input from a professional stylist will go a long way towards helping the client achieve a more attractive look.

An angular jaw and a prominent forehead are attractive, masculine traits. 
If a man has a round face, he may want to make his face appear a little slimmer and a little more angular in the jaw area. To achieve this, he needs to wear a hairstyle with a little volume on the top but tapered in on the sides of the head. A classic men's cut works great for this - a short clippered style on the sides faded into a little more length on the top, which is usually cut with scissors. This look can be texturized and worn messy for an updated look, or neatly combed for a more serious look.

To add definition to the jaw area, wear a very thin, well trimmed and angular beard and goatee. This is a very clean, well groomed look and can look professional when done well. Ice Cube has a nice example of this style of beard.

A gentleman with a long, thin face should avoid any hairstyle that lengthens the face more. A hairstyle that is flatter on the top with some fullness in the sides will help accomplish this. A beard that does not extend below the chin can also help visually shorten this face shape, or even a wide mustache can visually cut the face in half. Keiffer Sutherland is a great example of this style.

Men with square faces are a little bit of an exception to the rule here, as the angular bone structure is very attractive with the right look. David Beckham is a great example of a square face shape and an appropriate hairstyle, as is Arnold Schwartzenegger. Keeping the hair cropped close at the sides and a little fuller on top will bring out the face shape in a very handsome and attractive way.

A man with a pear shaped face should add a little volume to the sides above the ears and to the top of his hair, but avoid adding width at the chin. Keith Urban's layered look is a great example of how to achieve this look.

There are a few other considerations to keep in mind when contouring the male face. A slightly receding hair line can be disguised with hair that is combed forward in a heavy bang, but if the hair is thinning too much this will just look like the dreaded comb-over. Instead, thinning hair can be made to look a little bit fuller with a buzz cut and even some hair color. Shaving the head completely will hide extremely thinning hair, but not everyone has the symmetrical and smooth head that is needed to pull this off.

Someone with large protruding ears, probably does not want to have the hair shaved off or cut around the ears. It should at least be kept a little fuller on the sides and crown area to minimize the look of the ears. A large nose can be minimized with a heavy bang. Also, it is becoming increasingly acceptable for men to wax their eyebrows, so if a unibrow or heavy, overgrown eyebrows are a problem, a professional stylist can help with this.

See your hair stylist to learn about the best styles that suit your hair, face, and lifestyle. He or she can help you look your very best so that you like the person you see in the mirror. A little bit of facial contouring can help you feel great about yourself.
08-23-2014, 10:02 AM
This is a true square face. It is rare - even for men as there is always some break of the straight lines. The picture is of a woman with a square face. Creepy in a way but great illustration of a square face! Big Grin

[Image: mqP3kRj.jpg]
08-31-2014, 08:13 PM
Rainbow RE: Mens Hairstyles and Face Shapes Guide: Round, Triangle, Square, Oval
These are two pictures of my hair. One of them shows my hair combed straight down as it would fall after a shower and the other shows how I currently style it. What would be some other styles that would work for my face shape? My hair is fine but very thick also.
09-05-2014, 11:52 AM
(07-04-2014 12:30 PM)EoghanMorvollo Wrote:  Are triangle and heart shaped the same ?

Hey Bradley, I have a fairly similar question as Eoghan Morvollo. My face looks like a diamond shape, with narrow forehead, wide cheekbones, and narrow chin. How would that fit, in terms of choosing a hair style?
09-09-2014, 02:57 PM
This is great, cheers. Nearly sure i have the triangular shape but i'll do this exercise tomorrow to make sure.
09-20-2014, 10:20 AM
Great thread! but are face shapes so important for hairstyles? I mean I already have difficulty enough telling the face shape of someone as different features mix so trying to tell hairstyle based on your face could perhaps be a futile exercise in hairstyling. What do you think?

The face is 3d too so you have the profile to take into account right? or the angled front. Not to mention many people look very different between front and profile.

What if you find a hairstyle that you really like and you feel comfortable wearing? But it was only when I started wearing my thin hair in a style I like and that I think matches how I am that I really felt comfortable in my own skin with my own thinning hair. Yup I considered length and type but at the end of it all it was how I felt that made me choose it and stick to it.

Good part of it has been thanks to this forum as thinning hair can hit your self esteem hard.
10-01-2014, 11:36 AM
Thank you for this guide, it was really helpful.

Julian
10-04-2014, 10:54 PM
The best hair-style for any face shape is the hair cut that you can give yourself at home (just kidding). I rarely got satisfactory results from usual barber shops here ($10 to $25 per haircut). But i got one of the best haircuts that i had in a decade, after 3 home haircuts done by myself. Of course, it took ton of my time for each haircut, but i attribute this to the fact that i am new to handling a hair clipper on myself.

If you have long hair, this solution won't work, since you need a trained barber.
10-21-2014, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the guide.
10-30-2014, 11:27 AM
Your stylist can determine a haircut that is appropriate for your facial shape but if you want to choose the best haircut for your face shape, it's important to recognize the characteristics of your face and how it impacts the hair style you need or want.

Haircuts should fit the shape of your face and enrich your overall appearance. Here are the main facial shapes and what they require when choosing a hairstyle or haircut.

Round Face haircuts:

A round facial shape means the face is has width with rounded cheekbones and a rounded chin and jaw.

Men with a round facial shape will want a hairstyle which is lean with the sides short or tapered and more length on the front and top of the hair so as to offset the round chin. Round faces call for a square cut with a side part to minimize the circular effect. See the businessman haircut with taper cut and side part in the link for a great haircut and hairstyle for oval faces.

Oval Face haircuts:

An oval facial shape has a slight rounding of the jaw, and the face is egg-shaped without atypical features. This is usually considered a desirable and handsome face shape as almost any hairstyle will suit this face shape.

Men with oval faces can choose their haircuts based on the style they prefer, and middle parts are fine. If a man has handsome features such as bright eyes, then the hairstyle can be chosen so that it is trimmed at an eyebrow length and emphasizes the eyes or any other facial traits. On the other hand, if the ears are large, then this can be offset with a fuller hairstyle with plenty of length on the sides.

Square Face haircuts:

A square face features a more vertical jawline, a face almost as wide as it is long, and squared cheekbones. Men with square facial features will want a haircut with short and tapered sides, with the top of the hair longer as for example in the Ivy League haircut (see the haircut in the link). Hair should taper down around the ears and the hairstyle should overall be square as well as it follows the contour of the head.

Long Face haircuts:

A long face on a man is longer than the width, with cheekbones at the same width as the jaw and the jawline often sharply rounded. Men with long facial features need a haircut that is lengthier on the side and short on top to de-emphasize the length of the face.

Layers help provide balance for a long face as so does a haircut that keeps the hair length even all around the scalp. Also, some men with long faces favor short beards or eye glasses.

Diamond Face haircuts:

Diamond face shapes have narrow foreheads and jawlines with the cheekbones being wide. The goal of the haircut here is to de-emphasize the wider cheekbones and add balance to the narrower forehead and chin.

Bangs and side fringes can work well to de-emphasize the forehead. Longer and curlier styles work and are sometimes preferred by men with diamond face cuts.

Triangular Face haircuts:

Men with triangular faces have a pointed chin and wider cheekbones and forehead. Bangs and side fringes can help de-emphasize the facial triangulation just as it does with diamond-shaped faces.

You want a haircut for triangular faces that will narrow the forehead, so a clipper taper or fade haircut on the sides of the head is a good haircut for a triangle face. Some men with triangular face shapes prefer to wear their hair longer as it gives the appearance of a longer and stronger jaw and chin.

Make sure you and your stylist get together and agree on your facial shape and haircut before the hair cutting begins. The right haircut can be a winner for the shape of your face if you just take the time to consider the hairstyle as part of the overall hair shape that you want to achieve now and in the future.
05-02-2016, 11:32 AM
Thanks, I am going to try this out now
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mohawk hairstyle and haircut guide - How to and Pictures TheMensHairForum 16 24,251 07-31-2016 11:40 PM
Last Post: Kiddfresh
  2 Step Undercut Hairstyle: Official Haircut Guide with Pictures and How-To Advice Jurgen 6 112,424 07-21-2016 08:44 PM
Last Post: Dwight
  Middle Part Curtains Hairstyle Guide: How To Style, Pictures, Products and more TheMensHairForum 13 69,446 06-15-2016 03:04 PM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
  Epic Styling Guide for Slicked Back Hair - How To, Pictures and Products TheMensHairForum 36 577,058 05-02-2016 05:30 PM
Last Post: Refrusloi