Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mens Hairstyles 2013 Best hair styles of the year?
04-10-2014, 03:25 PM
Mens Hairstyles 2013 Best hair styles of the year?
We always have discussions on the trendy hairstyles of now and what not so I would like to ask which do you think were the best 2013 mens hairstyles? Reason I ask is due to the trends I get to see at our barbershop and how they surprisingly relate to all the discussions here.
We actually have a thread in the forum from late 2013 where I remember we were discussing the hairstyles for 2014. Well start of 2014 we are noticing lots of lads coming into the barbershop asking for brush ups and 2 step undercuts especially which are the hairstyles you guys made popular thru the forum. The other predictions from the thread like more curly hair and long hair are also bang on and we have more guys asking for ways to keep their hair growing bigger/thicker/curlier. Ditto for messy styles.

So considering you guys have a surprising ability to get the trends right I am really curious to ask which mens hairstyles really nailed it in 2013? I know this discussion is easily subjective in that every one will have their opinion but myself as someone starting in the barber trade I would be thrilled to hear what some of you have to say in this topic Smile Anyone? cheers lads
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2014, 08:24 AM
RE: Mens Hairstyles 2013 Best hair styles of the year?
Bradley, I would say that the year 2013 has been more of a launching of new hairstyles into 2014 rather than 2013 having different styles to 2014. In my opinion, mens hairstyles took a radical change around 2011 where very shaped styles like faux hawk and short messy styles were really killing it. Around 2012 on to 2013, the hairstyles for men changed from short and shaped to either flat or big (I'll explain this as I go along in this post).

You are referring to our 2014 mens hairstyles trends discussion that has been correct in forecasting the hairstyling trends for 2014. Back then we said that the hairstyles that trended in 2013 would be trending harder in 2014, which is exactly what has happened, especially with long hair and the brush up hairstyle.

In terms of the best 2013 mens hairstyles, and by "best" we are talking of the most popular, I would boil it down to the Undercut with side swept, side swept (with a taper cut, not an Undercut), Quiff, brush up hairstyle and messy hairstyles.

Some other of your mentions like the 2 Step Undercut are more of a thing of 2014 (late 2013 at max) although we have been talking about the 2 Step Undercut in this forum all over 2013 and even created a guide for it after we gave it its formal hairstyle name. Another pseudo newcomer, curly hair, is to go in 2014 big thanks to Rogelio's epic book The Curly Hair Book as are all kinds of natural hairstyles like Afros and teenie weenie Afros that suit the curly hair types (wavy, coiled and kinky).

I will post below what I think of each of the aforementioned mens hairstyles of 2013. All posted links lead to related and interesting pages which are worth reading if you're interested in further examining each of the styles. If there are any questions from you or any other forum members, please ask Smile

Undercut with side swept

The Undercut as a haircut has been a solid and stylish mens haircut for a couple of years and its best look is with some kind of sweeping or slicking (i.e. a flat style). Side swept Undercut or slicked back Undercut like the Undercut of Jake Gyllenhaal in prisoners (2013) or the one from Michael Pitt as Jimmy Darmody in Boardwalk Empire have certainly increase the interest in the Undercut hairstyle.

[Image: tumblr_mddsotiNDr1rdruzpo1_500.jpg]

[Image: 1olwzr.jpg]

[Image: enhanced-buzz-21476-1343572218-8.jpg]

[Image: 78b7dccdd8319bc0c8a13521140e4a8a.jpg]

Side swept

The side swept with a taper haircut was a by-product of The Great Gatsby in 2013. The Gatsby hairstyle is a mere side swept with a taper, done like a classic style.

I have seen lots of side swepts in the fashion industry either with a taper cut or an Undercut, and the commonality was that they were all flat styles. The side swept with a taper is not so much of a full-fledged disconnected hairstyle, but more of a smooth hairstyle with no sharp edges. And remember, however flat you want your side swept, always use a good pomade, either a wet look pomade (see this ONE) or a medium shine pomade (see this ONE)!

[Image: the-great-gatsby-1974-mia-farrow-robert-redford.jpg]

[Image: El-gran-Gatsby-Farrow-Redford.jpg]

Brush Up

The Brush Up hairstyle was one of the best hairstyles of 2013, no doubts. Zayn Malik got it rolling and Justin Bieber followed soon. Bruno Mars, Gareth Bale (although he alternated an Undercut with the brush up) and many more male celebrities hit the hairstyle in late 2013 and it sure is a male hairstyle of 2014. It's just that in 2013 it rocked the hairstyle world (and again, we gave the Brush Up hairstyle its name as we were the first to talk about it Smile).

As opposed to the Undercuts and side swepts, the Brush Up is a big hairstyle with lots of volume (achieved primarily with a good hair dryer like this one and some matte wax like this one).

[Image: zayn_malik_5.jpg]

[Image: hhFbUK9.jpg]

Quiff

In my opinion, the Quiff has always been the underdog when it comes to mens hairstyles. It's always been mildly popular and many guys give themselves quiffs without even knowing the name for it (since it resembles a messy style and a Brush up). The best length for a quiff is a medium length where the front (i.e. forelock) is 4 inches long.

The styling of a quiff is pretty easy and all it needs is a strong hold to get the forelock up, plus a hair dryer if you want to give it some extra volume (the hair dryer for the Brush Up above will work great for styling a quiff). Instead of the matter wax above for the brush up, you need a more defining and styling wax like this one from Gatsby.

[Image: 534fe2a2-86e4-4bf2-ba0d-0eb8868a60f6_164374411.jpg]

[Image: e426d0cee985d10fe70a43496318d769.jpg]

Messy hairstyles

Like the Quiff, the range of messy hairstyles (since there isn't just "a" messy hairstyle) have always been there. But like I mentioned earlier, since 2013 we have been going for their flat hairstyles or big hairstyles, and messy hairstyles with medium length hair certainly qualify as big hairstyles (especially when you use a hair dryer!).

I have only seen this range of hairstyles grow more and more in popularity and the hairstyle trend in 2013 has shifted from short messy styles to medium length messy styles. Volume messy hairstyles all the way.

[Image: a0f1bd56615aa4a3005f6244be18af7a.jpg]

[Image: malin-akerman-josh-radnor-adrian-grenier...ing-01.jpg]

Now, the following two hair types/styles below deserve the mention in my post despite not being among those best hairstyles of 2013.

Curly hair

Curly hair as a whole and especially in its non-manipulated state is "the" to-be hair type and hairstyle of 2014, but in 2013 it was already growing in popularity, thanks to the Chuck Norris of mens hair, Rogelio and his 2 books The Curly Hair Book and The Men's Hair Book. Rogelio has been the face of mens curly hair for a couple of years now with Manly Curls (I think he founded the site in 2011 or early 2012 at most), and his 2 books were published 2013.

Overall, curly hairstyles (check out our guide, started by Rogelio back in the day) are to be watched out for in 2014.

[Image: David-Bisbal-en-concierto.jpg]

Long hair

Like curly hair, long hair lacked enough hairstyling power in 2013, but that was simply because long hair takes at least a year to grow. I have no doubts in my mind that long hair was inside many trend setters and male celebrities' minds in 2013 since now in 2014 we have had so many male celebrities popping out with long hair like Jared Leto and Joaquin Phoenix. And, again, like curly hair, long hair is certainly worth the mention due to its rise in popularity in 2014, which we are already seeing.

[Image: Jared%2BLeto%2B20th%2BAnnual%2BScreen%2B...gBYDQl.jpg]

So as you can see, the 2013 mens hairstyles were favoring flatness and volume, a radical change from the 2012 mens hairstyles (and earlier hairstyles too).

Hope that satisfied your curiosity Big Grin

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
04-12-2014, 12:56 PM
Great post! Smile Some great hairstyles on here

Yeah I think it's the year of the undercut, I think last year was when this style came into it's own

Keep up the good work
04-13-2014, 12:48 PM (This post was last modified: 04-13-2014 12:49 PM by Machado.)
Right on guys that was a good post and kinda helps you see how they all relate together right??
Like the under cut gets a lot of publicity and what not but its good is to know where it comes from and how it makes sense in the mane picture.
For me tho i would rather keep it simple and grow some length then decide what to do with all of the hair altho since i joined this site i am constantly changing my mind about what style to finally choose lol cause it really gets so tempting when you guys are posting picture after picture and guide after guide with what is new and the good old styles of yesterday.
Dude that Jared Leto sure has some nice long hair but he keeps insisting in wearing it like a douche and all dirty and like a hippie. He did wear a nice man bun but other than that his hair looks like a rag with that nasty beard he loves to wear lol...
04-13-2014, 01:40 PM
(04-13-2014 12:48 PM)Machado Wrote:  Right on guys that was a good post and kinda helps you see how they all relate together right??
Like the under cut gets a lot of publicity and what not but its good is to know where it comes from and how it makes sense in the mane picture.
For me tho i would rather keep it simple and grow some length then decide what to do with all of the hair altho since i joined this site i am constantly changing my mind about what style to finally choose lol cause it really gets so tempting when you guys are posting picture after picture and guide after guide with what is new and the good old styles of yesterday.
Dude that Jared Leto sure has some nice long hair but he keeps insisting in wearing it like a douche and all dirty and like a hippie. He did wear a nice man bun but other than that his hair looks like a rag with that nasty beard he loves to wear lol...

Machado you should do a hair blog on your hair journey, more than happy to help and comment on it, be a good way to help you on deciding what to do with your hair
04-16-2014, 08:56 AM
Wow lads thanks a lot.
I had a feeling those hairstyles that Themenshairforum mentioned in his post would be the ones that were trendy in 2013. I do agree that I am seeing more side swept hairstyles than a couple of years but then I have not been at the barbershop for that long. This is just from my personal observations tho.
Yes undercut are rocking it for some time now and still are. So glad we have that mega thread on the undercut here in the forum as many times I refer barbershop clients to this forum to browse the many guides and get a feel for the one best hairstyle they like. The undercut thread has a lot of pictures and I find that pictures for the undercut are very important because there are so many ways you can style an undercut!

As for the others I would say that the brush up hairstyle was a clear 2013 best hairstyle winner. The more I read about the brush up in this forum the more and more I like it and recommend it to our clients when they come to our barbershop. Some clients simply ask us to cut their hair in the best style we think would suit them.
Undercut + brush up or taper cut + brush up... either of them really rock and I have given both although still under some guidance from the master barber at our shop since you gotta give a clean cut on the top to make the hair 'brush up' without looking awkward. Easier said than done Big Grin

Curly hair deffo another styling option! I also agree about The Curly Hair book and how it is helping so many men with their curls. Rogelio has done a stellar job with his books and websites and he has done a lot for curly hair men. Great to see curly men in this forum and how their all discussing and everything is panning out great in that regards. Myself I have noticed a trend at our barbershop of more curly guys asking for more custom haircuts for curly hair instead of the short and tight haircuts we usually gt from curly guys. I have also been asked quite a few times if I have heard of The Curly Hair book Big Grin

That would be all from my opinion on the mens hairstyles for 2013. Awesome to hear your opinions and how they match and what not. Anyone else who wants to discuss other styles or the sames ones that were 2013 trends, then by all means continue! Cheers Smile
04-16-2014, 10:06 PM
Perhaps not in my area but in loads of other areas in the UK the most popular one is SS Cut or Undercut
04-17-2014, 04:55 PM (This post was last modified: 04-17-2014 04:57 PM by JaimeSpain.)
Here in Spain I notice similar trends for 2013 and also for 2014. In big cities we have a lot of hipster men with the hipster hairsyle which is the hair combed to the side and with a beard. They also use use glasses like where is Waldo lol very similar look to this picturre.

[Image: wallylopez_05_800px-88.jpg]

[Image: whereswaldo.jpg]

Yes also undercuts for young men who like electro music. Long hair always a bit popular with young men but it is for alternative young men who listen to rock music and heavy metal music.It is funny because young men who like electro music hate the heavy metal guys and viceversa jajaja they are always insulting each other and saying bad things about their hairstyle. This is only for like guys lie 18, 19, 20 until 24 more or less. After that it is fine and it is more like the hipster hairstyle.
In the business world here in Spain is not so liberal with hair like United States or United Kingdom. Here in Spain if you are a businessman you have to have a flat hairstyle like the side comb or slicked back [or bald Big Grin]
04-17-2014, 09:24 PM
To be fair the undercut is fairly popular here, even business professional I've seen have been using it for style, similarly with youth and men in there 30's it's a big thing here now to have the SS cut
04-17-2014, 11:00 PM
The zayn malik variation looks really cool with the straighter and medium length hair. Is there a way to make hair feel more manageable even when it's really thick and wavy.
04-18-2014, 10:45 AM
(04-17-2014 09:24 PM)herehair Wrote:  To be fair the undercut is fairly popular here, even business professional I've seen have been using it for style, similarly with youth and men in there 30's it's a big thing here now to have the SS cut

I find it hilarious how so many guys refer to the Undercut as an SS haircut Big Grin (not taking a shot at your herehair, just saying this as a general habit of many young men nowadays Smile)

Not that there is nothing wrong with the name SS cut, but it looks as though people see some WWII movie and see the slicked back Undercut that some Nazi officials had, and the next day go to the barber and ask for the "SS haircut" (which many barbers and even hairdressers don't know what it is). Just as Barber (mod) about how many times per week he has barbershop customers asking for the SS haircut instead of an Undercut LOL

Since we are talking of the haircuts of Nazi officials, another common haircut was actually the Regulation Cut which is a military haircut. The Regulation Cut is similar to the Undercut with just a little bit of fading done, but the emphasis on very short sides and back is shared among the 2 haircuts.

(04-17-2014 11:00 PM)Casheddie Wrote:  The zayn malik variation looks really cool with the straighter and medium length hair. Is there a way to make hair feel more manageable even when it's really thick and wavy.

Yes, use a light hair wax like the one I mentioned (it's this one here, in case you didn't see it). Such a wax will give you lots of shaping control even with thick hair, so I highly recommend it to you as a product t use for the brush up hairstyle. Avoid the heavier waxes such as those containing resins.

If your hair is more on the wavy side than on the straight-hair side, then consider instead a styling (hair) mousse. Hair mousses are great for defining wavy hair and for volume hairstyles (the brush up, which is the hairstyle of Zayn Malik, is a volume hairstyle). You can check out whether you have straight hair or wavy hair with our hair type guide (based on the bestselling book The Men's Hair Book), and, if you have wavy hair, then I highly recommend this hair mousse for controlling your brush up.

Even if you have straight hair, you can still use that hair mousse recommended above in the link, and ideally, you'd want to have both the recommended wax and mousse so that you can play around with their texture in the brush up and decide which product is best for your brush up style.

Lastly, make sure that you are using a hair dryer for your brush up. A hair dryer is essential for getting the best brush up style, as it will help you with establishing the needed volume and shape. Furthermore, if you get a high-quality hair dryer like the one I recommended in my initial reply to Bradley, you will also be benefiting from increased gloss to your hair (which really enhances the brush up aesthetics), from a faster and more optimal drying, and from the anti-frizz effect created by the heating technology used by that hair dryer I recommended (that hair dryer is almost like a miracle for hairstyle aesthetics! Big Grin).

Just to quickly finish off, in case you missed the hair dryer I recommended in my reply, this hair dryer here is the one I am talking about in the previous paragraph and the one I recommended earlier in my first reply. It's a top-end hair dryer and, even though the price is not cheap, the premium quality of the hair dryer plus the fact that it will last you much longer than the rest of hair dryers will last really make this hair dryer very much worth its purchase.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
09-16-2014, 09:52 AM
Well here is my opinion on 2013 mens hairstyles. Some have carried off to 2014. Plenty of popularity with haircuts like the undercut! This is just based on personal observation, nothing more. We have some real experts in the forum and their hairstyling opinions are the ones to seriously pay attention to Smile

Asymmetric hairstyles

Medium cuts in 2013 were everywhere, but you can add a dash of style with an asymmetrical cut. This hairstyle is achieved by a regular fringe cut shorter on one side and swooped on the other, with a jagged edge. Edges get a little longer as you move toward the back, but they are never too long or too thick.

This hairstyle accentuates a heart shaped face. Condition your hair well for this style, because it is a head turner. This hairstyle is ideal for straight hair although wavy hair can also do well with it. Blow-dry your hair and achieve some extra volume.

Mens Curls were and are back

Sporting defined curls in 2013 was the trend. I wasn't here in the forum as a forum member in 2013 but I did read this forum most days and the work you guys have done so far for curly men is outstanding. Also Rogelio from manlycurls.com has done the impossible in 2013 and I know many curly men look up to him. Rogelio's curly hair book is a gift to all curly men worldwide (as one of my curly friends put it Big Grin).

To achieve a full curly hairstyle start with a volumizing shampoo and conditioner. Use conditioner first, then style with mousse. Style with your curls damp.

To style with the mousse, try a dollop of a firm hold mousse in the palm of your hand. Use your fingers to pull bits of mouse throughout your hair, wrapping the product completely around some strands. This will prepare your hair to hold distinctive curls.

Dry carefully with a towel or cotton t shirt, if you have long hair then dry and scrunch with a diffuser. You will get some seriously cool curls. You can finish off with some hairspray too to leave your curls in the same position you lft them when styled with mousse.

Shaggy hairstyle

Most of you will be too young to remember the shag hairstyle of the 70's. The only thing that atrocious style has in common with the 2013 shaggy haircut is that both are cut with a razor. Don't panic, it is a hairstyling razor, but it allows for uneven chunky cuts to be made more easily than traditional haircutting scissors.

The contemporary short shag starts out like an a-line bob. The side bang can be left long enough to brush behind the ears, or beneath the shaggy clips on top.

This hairstyle is both fun and professional. While it looks a little like a bob, it allows the hair to fall in different directions from the crown and along the sides. It doesn't look messy, just fresh.

You'll probably have the most success with a shaggy hairstyle if you use a volumizing shampoo and conditioner, hair mousse and hairspray. I recommend Tresemme products, available at Target, for success with this trendy hairstyle.

Brush up hairstyle

I hadn't heard of the brush up hairstyle until this forum. It's like a blowout, plenty of wax and hair dryer. It sure became trndy in 2013 and this forum played a huge part in making it popular.

Wash hair with a volumizer and volumizing conditioner and dry with a hair dryer until hair is almost completely dry. Use styling wax during the styling process and before it.

Bangs

In 2013 long hair was taking off and especially with bangs. These aren't the same bangs your mom lobbed off halfway down your forehead when you were a kid. Today's bangs are longer, reaching the brow line or below, and they are part of the 2013 long hairstyles. Bangs are blown and turned under with a soft look, unless they are intentionally cut jagged or designed to lay flat with an all over angular hairstyle.

When you have your hair trimmed up or layered consider pulling those bangs back to the front and having them snipped just above your eyes. You will be surprised how dramatic the change is from the parts and comb-overs to which we have become accustomed.

To get the best bangs and haircut for bangs, see a hairstylist and not a barber. Hairstylists do really know how to cut bangs and give you advice on how to style bangs.
10-31-2014, 08:06 AM
I posted this in another thread, but I think it is relevant to this thread too as I believe from 2012 the mens hairstyles trends have really changed dramatically. It's not just what happened in 2013 but what is to happen in 2015 with mens hairstyles! Smile

Men's hairstyles have changed a little bit over the years, but what used to be good looking remains in style and the classics are not about to change any time soon. Whether it is shaggy with the tried and true messy look or the short cut that I now have, men's hair offers a little bit less flexibility than women's hair. Still, there are different styles for different people. If you are in college, you probably do not want to look like your dad. You dad, on the other hand, would lose his job if he tried to pull of your half-mullet in a business meeting. Whatever the case, there is only one rule to live by: find a hairstyle that really suits how you are as a person.

Unless your name is Lance Bass, go easy with the hair gel. Hair gel is a great product that suits all mens hairstyles, but it's a product that should be used in conjunction to what the situation is where you'll be wearing your hairstyle.

Natural is always the way to go if you're in doubt. The most traditional and best men's hairstyle out there remains as the super short dude haircut. Whether you go for the fade, crew cut, or any hair style that sits somewhere in between the two, you can not go wrong with this hair style. That is, unless you happen to be fat. Fat guys do not wear short hair well. Busy business men like to make this their style of choice and about 75% of all men have some sort of short hair cut. Characterized by the short clipper cut on the top of the head, this look can be accomplished without the help of any sort of hair product.

Medium length hair is making a comeback as it was posted by admin in the first page. At three to four inches in length, you can still get away with this haircut length in the business world. Commonly seen on college campuses everywhere, the medium length and textured haircut is a good look for any guy who wants to look trendy and casual. Be careful, though. If you are not a trendy guy who dresses with nice clothes, you might just end up looking like the kid who was too lazy to go get a haircut. Good hair products for a medium length are styling waxes, pomades, and hairstyling creams (for men with curly hair).

Choosing the perfect hairstyle is all about fitting your own tastes. Some men need the shorter look because they prefer not to worry about it all day. Some guys need a little more hair to look good. Whatever the case, if you wear it with confidence and without the addition of hair product, then you should be fine.
11-06-2014, 12:15 PM
Here is a post that I found that shares more of the mens hairstyles for 2012. Then going on to 2013. There is of course a wide range of hairstyles that are at any time popular but there are also classic haircuts like the Ivy league that just don't never expire in popularity.

---

Here are a few men's haircuts to think about this year 2012 to 2013. Don't forget about trimming the hairs off the back of your neck. It adds the finishing touch to any shorter style, you can get it squared in the back or tapered to clean it up. One thing to remember is that squaring off the hair on your neckline adds a little more width in the back, so it's not the best style for someone with a larger head.

Fade haircut

The most enduring and still popular men's haircut is the fade. A shorter version, or a longer version both convey a clean-cut image that makes it perfect for a change of life such as a new job. It's a dependable haircut that can get you through anything life decides to throw with style and confidence.

Buzz Cut

If you are looking for a clean slate, starting over may be a good option. A short man's haircut, such as a buzz cut or military hairstyle, takes a lot less time to style and no products to look its best. For a fast-paced lifestyle this is one of the best haircuts to have. Whether sitting at a desk, standing above the city working at a construction site or being out in the great outdoors, you can stay cool and comfortable.

Ivy League Haircut

This is a modernized version of the fade, it's left a little bit longer in the front and gives more versatility in styling while still being easy to maintain and style. It can look great with or without any products.

"Scene" or Emo Haircut

You can find another great option by taking a look at some of these haircuts. These are best for younger guy's hairstyles, but they can look good on anyone. The styles are very similar to punk, but with a little more grooming. Keeping a scene style up generally does require a bit of maintenance, but will definitely grab attention. The cuts have a focus on disconnection, asymmetry, and styling.

Long Layered Man's Haircut

If you want to go to another extreme, a longer layered guy's haircut could be the key. This perfect transitional hairstyle can require little maintenance, but makes a big hit. The only downside is the time it takes to grow your hair out.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Best tall men hairstyles and haircuts for great aesthetics A Tall Guy 1 251 10-20-2016 11:17 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
Heart How Good Wedding Hair Styles Make You Look Smarter? hair-style 5 478 08-19-2016 12:25 AM
Last Post: Cloud
  Hair Styles for Short, Wavy Hair TimothyClayton 0 386 05-20-2016 06:40 AM
Last Post: TimothyClayton
Photo Depressed, Please help recommend Cut/Styles shadowmorning 0 423 02-29-2016 03:34 AM
Last Post: shadowmorning