Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mane and Tail shampoo and conditioner? Hair grows faster?
08-04-2015, 06:59 PM
Mane and Tail shampoo and conditioner? Hair grows faster?
Hey everyone!

I'm growing out my hair to a full man bun and I'm at 5 months now Smile. I've been taking biotin and a multivitamin to help with growth.

I wanted to know if any of you had tried mane and tail shampoo/conditioner to speed hair growth. And if you could REALLY tell or not. I don't know if I believe the hype.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2015, 09:53 AM
RE: Mane and Tail shampoo and conditioner? Hair grows faster?
No, the Mane and Tail shampoo or their conditioner will not make your hair grow faster. They do use a horse as part of their branding and how their shampoos can be used on horse manes, but that's about it.

The only way to grow your hair faster is by having a good diet. There are special nutrients that are needed essentially for your follicles to produce healthy hair that grows faster. These nutrients are much better absorbed through ingestion than topically. What this means is that you need to have a good diet and use some supplements if you want to.

Read this great hair nutrition discussion in the forum to learn all about the nutrients that your hair needs and that can speed up your hair growth. We're talking of essential minerals like zinc and essential vitamins like vitamin A. No fancy names or exotic compounds. Follow the instructions in that thread and stock up on the recommended supplements (vitamin C, cod liver oil, etc) as a multivitamin alone isn't always enough. Also there are some seriously bad multivitamins so if you've gotten yourself a really cheap Walmart multivitamin, then throw it away and get the one recommended in that hair nutrition discussion.

Stuff like omega-3 fats cannot be supplied by a multivitamin so make sure that you're taking fish oil or even better - cod liver oil. If not, make sure that you're eating oily fish twice per week at least.

Other nutrients that can help are biotin (it's a vitamin after all) and methylsulphonylmethane for faster hair growth. Methylsulphonylmethane goes by the initials of MSM and is also recommended in that hair nutrition discussion in the forum. Methylsulphonylmethane provides extra sulfur to the production of the hair strands and sulfur is a compound used by your follicles to produce hair at a massive scale.

You can get a similar hair grow benefit like the one from methylsulphonylmethane by eating 5 whole eggs a day or more which is a bit crazy. I do know that Rogelio Samson has reported that eating 12 whole eggs a day made his hair grow faster and thicker. He's the author of the book called The Men's Hair Book and he talks about all the different foods that help to have healthy hair, it's a good book to have for all purposes (the book has been discussed in the forum in this thread).

As for shampoos that speed up the growth of hair, I can think of some ingredients that 'may' help you to grow faster hair with the shampoo. There are three compounds that can help you grow faster hair if a shampoo or a conditioner has it:
  • Caffeine: caffeine has some theory behind it showing that it revitalizes the hair follicles by improving the blood supply. Caffeine shampoos are used as part of a hair loss supplementation and the results are mixed. Some people report their hair grows faster and the hair loss slows down while other people say that the caffeine shampoo did nothing. A caffeine shampoo is a safe shampoo anyway and there are a couple of good ones out there. See this list of hair loss shampoos and get the caffeine one from the DS brand.
  • Tea tree oil: tea tree oil thickens the hair of laboratory rats and speeds up the hair growth. Laboratory rats are used usually to test medications before testing them on humans. That doesn't mean though that it will work for humans for sure. However tea tree oil is a great substance that is an anti fungal and helps to fight dandruff. It's a safe oil when added to shampoos and conditioners so it's worth a shot if you want to try to grow your hair as fast as possible. See this post recommending a tea tree oil shampoo and hair conditioner which will work really well for this purpose.
  • Minoxidil: this is used to regrow hair and thicken hair in balding men. People report that their hair grows faster with it but we're talking of balding men and not men with healthy hair. It's a safe hair loss products and you can see some good suppliers in this list of hair loss products which is the same list as the one before for the caffeine shampoo but in this case, you should buy any of the products listed under minoxidil.

If you really want to grow your hair faster and healthier then the best way to do it is to have a good diet and use supplements. Then maybe test some of the shampoos above. I would start with the tea tree oil shampoo and conditioner although they aren't very cheap as all tea tree oil products are expensive.

That's not to say that Mane 'n' Tail hair products aren't good. I have a positive view of the range of Mane and Tail products, and you will find that they have a good rating in the forum and are recommended by some people. Just don't think for a second that a regular shampoo like the one from Mane 'n' Tail (or the conditioner) will make your hair grow faster just because it can be used on horses.
08-14-2015, 10:50 AM
Hey Panther!

Thanks so much for the response. I have been taking fish oil, biotin and a multivitamin.

I want to get some MSM soon! Have you or anyone you know tried MSM? And how did it work for them?

08-15-2015, 01:53 PM
Personally as in my own experience with methylsulphonylmethane (MSM), I have found it to provide some hair growth benefit. I know it worked because it also made my nails grow faster so it wasn't just the hair. The increase in hair growth speed is maybe 20% faster but that's just from my own observation.

I am not one of those who makes MSM a supplement to be had for life to get thicker hair and faster growing hair. But I've used it enough to believe that it gives an extra advantage for hair growing. If you're looking to have your hair grow faster then I think that MSM is well worth a try if you can afford it. I would still give priority to the other supplements that I mentioned and then add the MSM as the icing on the cake.

From our barbershop customers I would say that the majority have noticed some kind of benefit. Some guys swear by it while others said they noticed the benefits of MSM on their nails mostly but they did get faster hair growth on the scalp too. I would say about 80% of them have noticed some kind of benefit. Usually it's the long haired guys who swear by MSM and we all know how long haired men take good care of their hair. Again that's a good sign for me to go ahead and try it.

See this hair nutrition thread that I also linked earlier in my previous reply as they've got the best supplements recommended in that thread. I'm not sure if anyone from the forum staff have recommended a good source for MSM but I can tell you where I got mine from in the past. If you look around that thread you will see that most of the products are from Amazon so just get some of the recommended fish oil capsules or cod liver oil capsules, the vitamin C (you can never have enough in my opinion) and some zinc too (the one they've recommended is the best one as it has copper too so you don't lose copper with the zinc). Then browse around for some MSM on Amazon and just add it to your Amazon shopping cart with the rest of supplements.

I've seen some pretty good MSM supplements on Amazon and most of them are good to go, so just grab the one that suits your budget together with the other supplements and you've got a great hair product foundation for healthier hair while maximizing its hair growth. Maybe add some biotin which is also recommended in that hair-nutrition thread if you really want to give it your best shot when it comes to growing your hair faster. Biotin is dirt cheap on Amazon so it's a good add-on supplements any time that you're shopping for men's hair products.
08-16-2015, 06:48 PM
Thanks! I do have some biotin zinc and I eat a lot of veggies so I get a good amount of vitamin A.

How many milligrams of MSM did you take each day?

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  A conditioner that really hydrates hair? boolmir 1 201 Yesterday 02:57 PM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  Best mens hair conditioner for damaged hair hapaa 4 379 10-06-2016 04:19 AM
Last Post: oslec8
  Which anti-dandruff shampoo is best for volume? Dansercoer 0 267 03-30-2016 06:41 PM
Last Post: Dansercoer
  Thickening Shampoo for Oily Hair waystinthyme 0 251 03-25-2016 07:50 PM
Last Post: waystinthyme