Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Man bun for a balding guy and how to grow hair long
11-10-2015, 04:24 PM
Man bun for a balding guy and how to grow hair long
Hi there

I´ve been reading this forum forum for a while but only now i took the initiative to register, because i have some doubts about the man bun.

From reading several articles on the man bun hair style, i became aware of traction alopecia and more importantly which hair lengths should one use if he´s balding.

About me, i have been losing my hair since i was about 22. My hair loss is diffuse thinning all over but after starting treatments 5 years ago, my hair looks a lot better and people don't notice i´m balding now. Only with a close inspection can one see i have thinning hair.

I´m now 32, lead a healthy lifestyle, work out at the gym and follow a healthy diet. This has contributed to my hair health. Hair treatments are finasteride/minoxidil/Nizoral.

I´m not going to use the top knot nor will i tie a man bun with 6 inches of hair. Will do that when i have about 8-10 inches of hair and that is because of that, that i want to ask you how should i cut my hair to grow until i can tie the hair?

Cut the sides with a 5 size clipper? Go for an undercut?

Is there any other advise you can give me?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-29-2015, 07:11 PM
RE: Man bun for a balding guy and how to grow hair long
Hi FabioM,

I'd say traction alopecia is tied to excessive up-tieing. As long as you let your hair down at least as much as you have it tied up, you should be fine. Of course even then, if you have your hair up really really tight, results won't be favourable, especially considering your hair loss history.

Personally, I don't dig undercuts with long hair (had around 12 inches length myself back in the day) because first - maintenance. You're going to have to go fix up your sides at the barber a lot more often than the rest of your hair in order to keep the style you want. Second, let it all grow out, what's the harm? I'd say let it all grow until you can tie it all up and then decide whether you should trim the sides, win-win (as long as you can pull through the awkward growing-out phase).

Now for some negatives. With your target hairstyle, applying your products and getting them to absorb evenly and correctly throughout your scalp will be more difficult as you may already have experienced. This will probably affect your growth unless you are very dedicated in applying correctly.

My 2 cents Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Non-male pattern balding? Losing hair but unsure about reason AntonD 4 209 10-18-2016 06:28 PM
Last Post: AntonD
  Hair thickening fibers for balding - Do they work? HorseTears 1 59 10-11-2016 07:59 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
  Bald father, grandad with full hair - Am I balding? 20 year old Benji_111 0 331 09-19-2016 08:43 AM
Last Post: Benji_111
  Hair receding or maturing? Possible balding with receding hairline Relinquish 2 829 08-18-2016 01:17 AM
Last Post: Relinquish