Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Male Face Shape and Mens Hairstyles and Haircuts: You're Wrong!
02-26-2015, 10:58 AM
Information Male Face Shape and Mens Hairstyles and Haircuts: You're Wrong!
I was just now giving some hairstyle advice to a forum member, when I posted about how male face shapes aren't important when choosing a men's haircut or hairstyle. At least, they aren't important in the sense that many people think of them, yet unfortunately the myth of X and Y hairstyles being only for X and Y facial shapes has spread like wildfire and beyond repair. This is why I wanted to take a moment to start this thread with said advice on face shapes and men's hairstyles/haircuts so that those of you who read it don't fall into the easy trap of using your perceived geometric face shape as the sole (skewed) metric and determinant in choosing a hairstyles as a male.

There's so much more going on with your face to boil it down to your face shape. Even more, face shape doesn't fall into the common geometric shapes that are usually regurgitated by people trying to fit X and Y hairstyles into a particular face shape. Men's facial shapes aren't black and white, there's a lot of blending going on, as the face is made up (front view) of the upper face, mid-face and lower face.

What I'm trying to get at is that you should not so much worry about your face shape but more about your hair type and current condition of your hair. For example, a male with coiled curly hair (a men's hair type) and a Norwood III isn't going to look very good with an Undercut, no matter how aesthetic his face may look or how his face shape may suit the Undercut haircut. In fact, coiled curly hair to kinky curly hair just doesn't go well with the Undercut, and one is better off choosing the 2 Step Undercut if wanting to have a single-length clipper cut on the sides and back of the head.

With regards to the Undercut haircut: the main frontal facial trait to consider with the Undercut is your upper face shape and how vertical your temples are. If your upper face/temple shape is vertical or slightly angled towards your chin, then the Undercut will look great on you. If, on the other hand, your temples are too angled outwards or are circled, the Undercut will not look good on you, and instead one should will look better with a tapered haircut.

By all means, one can try to fit his own face shape into a geometric figure and then use some generic advice to have a rough idea of the range of men's haircuts that will suit him. We do in fact have a very useful face shape and men's haircuts discussion thread with advice on the kind of cuts that favor the different generic face shapes for men. However, don't take your face shape as the main determinant in choosing a haircut or hairstyle. In fact, you can completely avoid taking into account your face shape and instead go by other facial traits such as how strong your jawline is, how prominent your eyebrows are and how big your eyes are. Likewise, do NOT forget that face shape, as per how the myth has been wrongfully spread, only takes into account one third of all your face, since you have the left profile and right profile of your head to take into account too when choosing a haircut (not to mention the left and right 3/4 facial profile). Your jawline, eyebrows, eyes and nose play a huge role in how your face is shaped in 3-dimensions, and you can have all kinds of length combinations or marked-appearance combinations with these facial attributes. The you have to factor in your hair type, hair length, hairline, ears and even skin tone to be able to gauge how good a haircut will look on you.

I hope the above helps you in seeing how worrying about your overall geometric face shape when choosing a hairstyle isn't something you should be doing (not saying that you may; I'm saying "you" generically). Instead, the main determinants in how a haircut or hairstyle will look on a male are hair type, hair length and Norwood scale, which is why books like The Men's Hair Book build upon these characteristics to provide you with a hair ID and to make the choice of a haircut or hairstyle an easy task for you instead of an illogical mathematical job. Then, you need to take into account that a great haircut (and not just a good haircut) depends on the barber or your own hair-cutting skills, and a great hairstyle (and not just a good hairstyle) depends on your own honed hair-styling skills.

Next time you're at the barbershop or hair salon and you want to know how a hairstyle will look on you, simply ask it like it is (i.e. "how would X hairstyle look on me?"). Your barber or hairdresser will very likely be able to tell you on the spot with his/her gut feeling rather than attempting to fit you into a a geometric shape and then making a decision based on that! Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-27-2015, 08:07 AM
RE: Male Face Shape and Mens Hairstyles and Haircuts: You're Wrong!
Great advice. I will agree with how the face is much more than just the geometric shape that you mention. For the buzzcut haircuts and really short mens hairstyles, you would want to also consider the head shape right? I posted now a thread about John Travolta hair loss and in the pictures showing his bald head he can pull the look (IMO) because of the shape of his head.

Also i have seen some guys with some really oddly shaped faces -- Good luck guessing the geometric shape of the faces from these guys! Big Grin
02-28-2015, 06:26 AM
haha yeah your right! i was finding it close to impossible to tell my face shape so i sorta gave up on it. So what i did is follow the rules of hair type and length and then come up with the hairstyles that look good with my hair type and length. So i got my brush up hairstyle.
What would u say tho to a customer in the barbershop who asked you to tell him his face shape?
03-02-2015, 11:06 AM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2015 11:06 AM by Stevens.)
Actually I'm glad that you have pointed this out since I have found putting faces into shapes a bit difficult if not downright impossible. Also I find that a hairstyle or haircut may look good from the front but then it looks odd from the side or just the opposite. For example the undercut hairstyle usually look really good from the side with any face shape but then it can look odd from the front.

You also have to consider the back of the head. Everyone is obsessed with how the mens haircuts look from the front but there's more to the head than just the face. For example if you're interested in aesthetics, then you should consider the sides & back of the head as that's what people will see of you for most of the time. Every time that I get a haircut I will always ask my babe how it looks, and she will ask me to do a 360 to see how it looks overall. here's a reason why most barbers use that hand mirror so that you can see the back & sides of the haircut.

I have only really gotten two bad haircuts in my life but what I noticed in each occasion was that the barber never grabbed or offered the hand mirror so I could see the back & sides of the haircut. The haircut look decent from the front but it was a mess from the back as it accentuated the weird shape of my head from behind.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  My hair / hairline and haircuts I could get . Help. John_cook115 0 99 11-15-2016 05:52 PM
Last Post: John_cook115
  Best tall men hairstyles and haircuts for great aesthetics A Tall Guy 1 223 10-20-2016 11:17 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
  Face Shape ?? Refrusloi 0 344 05-02-2016 05:34 PM
Last Post: Refrusloi
Smile Face shape and Haircut Samm1733 0 494 02-27-2016 10:22 AM
Last Post: Samm1733