Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Major hair loss at sixteen, causes and solution?
05-03-2015, 10:28 AM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2015 10:29 AM by mb1998.)
Major hair loss at sixteen, causes and solution?
Ok so I'm sixteen years old and last month a friend finally pointed out I had a really bad receding hairline I never noticed I did until then and I have been super stressed out since then. I have long curly hair and for several months now I've been wearing a beanie all day every day.....is it the beanie that's causing it?? And before anyone asks there is no history of early hairloss in my family both of my grandparents on both sides have quite a bit of hair left.
I'd post pics but I'm not sure how to yet...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2015, 11:10 AM
Male pattern baldness at age sixteen is extremely rare. We need to see pictures.
Welcome to the forum! Smile

We will have to see pictures of your current hairline and hair to be able to see what's going on. I've upgraded your account so that you can post pictures. Simply upload the pictures to a free image hosting site like imgur.com and then post them here (click on the "Insert image" icon in the text editor and paste the image address that you want to embed). If you aren't sure how to do this, simply upload the images and post the links and I will embed them for you.

Male pattern baldness at your age is extremely rare. Male pattern baldness is the type of hair loss in men that is the most worrying as it is irreversible and is, by far, the most common type of hair loss. Young males of your age who seem to be losing their hair will, most of the time, be losing their hair due to stress or a very bad lifestyle (extremely-bad nutrition, use of drugs, chronic insomnia and other lifestyle stressors).

On the other hand, if you hit puberty very early and have matured early, you could in theory suffer from male pattern baldness. However, such cases carry a strong genetic component so usually the afflicted male would have a similar case in his family or family's history.

When you post your pictures, try to also post pictures of your hairline and hair visible when you were 13 or 14 years old. This will give us a better idea of the true extent of your hair loss (if there is any hair loss going on at all). Also, tell us at what age you hit puberty and started to develop facial hair.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-03-2015, 11:25 AM
RE: Major hair loss at sixteen, causes and solution?
Thank you for the quick reply Smile and here is a pic of me from a few minutes ago of the right side of my forehead.

[Image: CXHjnsy.jpg]
05-03-2015, 11:36 AM
We need more information, such as when did you hit puberty or start shaving?
Yes, I can see that the hairline is somewhat deep. However, we need more information to really be able to tell what's going on. Bear in mind that sometimes people (including friends) will say silly things and even hurtful things, so he may just have picked on you when that's, in fact, your natural hairline.

At what age did you hit puberty? And can you currently grow facial hair on your cheeks (not just on your upper lip)? If you can grow such facial hair, at what age did you start?

Also, do you have any pictures of your hair or hairline from 2 or 3 years ago? Any picture that shows your hairline will do, although ideally it should be a close-up picture with your hair pulled back or styled back.

Lastly, have you seen a doctor about this?

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-03-2015, 11:37 AM
Another one of the left side.....
And I don't have any pics of my hairline from that early age but i'm sure i didn't have any sort of receding hairline...but I can tell you that I started to grow facial hair when I turned 15.

[Image: MMAs9GF.jpg]
05-03-2015, 11:38 AM
I haven't grown any facial hair on my cheeks yet only on my lip and chin.
05-03-2015, 11:58 AM
This probably won't help but this is my hair cut short when I was 14.

[Image: incPvsa.jpg]
05-03-2015, 12:01 PM
Your hairline is fine & is simply a sign of your physical development into an adult.
If you have just started to grow facial hair at age 15, then you aren't an early bloomer, so your chances of having male pattern baldness are minimal, although technically it's still possible.

Your second picture also shows plenty of hair density and the corners of your hairline at the temple are at a 90-degree angle, which isn't as much of a receding hairline as it is a healthy hairline. I would side more with the fact that you've grow physically a lot in the last year, including your skull as well as your hairline beginning to mature. This leads to the illusion of your hairline receding, when in reality your hairline is completely normal.

It is true that your hairline does look somewhat deep, but it still looks within the range of normal (i.e. it isn't a hairline afflicted by male pattern baldness). If you had hit puberty at age 11, then that would be more of a concern, but, going by what you've mentioned, chances are that you're developing right now into an adult and thus you're losing your child-like physical characteristics and developing the physical characteristics that you will have for the rest of your life, including the shape of your hairline. In an adult, the shape of your hairline would be absolutely normal.

You also seem to have plenty of hair on the rest of your head, so any other type of hair loss could be ruled out. However, I highly encourage you to still see a doctor and speak to him/her about your recent changes in your hairline. If possible, try to see a professional dermatologist (doctor of the skin) or even an andrologist (doctor specializing in male health). At your age, it's a good idea to keep track of your hormones to ensure that everything is working correctly and that you can maximize your physical potential (height, bone density etc). Also, and in case that you're ever offered or exposed to any of these, try to stay away from smoking, alcohol and drugs as they all interfere with your body's development, both at the physical and mental level.

Do not go to a hair loss clinic or anyone who isn't an actual doctor. First see your family doctor or paediatrician and he/she can then refer you to a dermatologist or andrologist if your doctor believes that your hairline change is worth investigating to rule out male pattern baldness or any other causes.

Overall, I would not stress about it. You're becoming a man and your body will continue to change for the next couple of years. One of the perks of becoming an adult male is that you lose the round and smooth hairline that you had in your childhood, which is what very likely has occurred to you.

In any case, come back to this thread in 3 months and post pictures of your hairline from the front, side and from the top (all pictures with your hair pulled back as you've done in your current pictures). We can then see if your hairline has changed whatsoever. In the meantime, I cannot emphasize enough that you go and see your family doctor if this is something that is worrying you.

If you have any problems, issues or doubts related to your hair or hairline, then don't worry and post them here Smile

05-03-2015, 12:20 PM
Alright thank you so much! Your opinion has relieved a lot of my stress I will be back in a couple months.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is this hair loss? AwesomeHair 0 424 09-11-2016 05:31 AM
Last Post: AwesomeHair
  Has my topknot caused hair loss? -KANE- 0 393 08-18-2016 11:14 AM
Last Post: -KANE-
  Hair weave vs hair transplant, best hairloss solution? SUMITAMIT 0 385 08-16-2016 08:32 AM
Last Post: SUMITAMIT
  Natural alternative solutions for treating hair loss alexdeen75 1 466 07-23-2016 11:29 PM
Last Post: Reborn Hair PPP