Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long kinky hair, will it ever hang down?
05-10-2013, 02:28 PM
Long kinky hair, will it ever hang down?
Hello forum,
I have very kinky hair (type V curly hair if you've read the curly hair book) and it is currently at some 8 inches of extended length. This is the first time I'm growing my kinks so long and would like to hopefully get them to hang down at some stage. The problem is that my kinks show no sign at all of hanging down and Rogelio mentions in his book that type V may never get to fully hang down.

Are there any examples of men with afrotextured hair or very kinky hair who managed to get their hair to hang down? Don't have a problem with my kinky hair, I'm just curious to know if I have a chance of having it hang down whatever the length. Dodgy
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2013, 04:13 PM
RE: Long kinky hair, will it ever hang down?
I believe Rogelio mentioned something like 15 inches of minimum length for kinky hair to start to hang down, will ask him when he joins.

Out of all my friends with afro textured hair, I've never seen any with hair that hang down. Why don't you focus on trying to make the most of your natural hair instead of worrying about the hair hanging down? It will save you more than one headache Smile (and I speak from experience too!)

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-10-2013, 04:41 PM
(05-10-2013 02:28 PM)Toulalan Wrote:  Hello forum,
I have very kinky hair (type V curly hair if you've read the curly hair book) and it is currently at some 8 inches of extended length. This is the first time I'm growing my kinks so long and would like to hopefully get them to hang down at some stage. The problem is that my kinks show no sign at all of hanging down and Rogelio mentions in his book that type V may never get to fully hang down.

Are there any examples of men with afrotextured hair or very kinky hair who managed to get their hair to hang down? Don't have a problem with my kinky hair, I'm just curious to know if I have a chance of having it hang down whatever the length. Dodgy

Couple of my black friends who grew their hair long told me it was impossible for their hair to hang down. They ended up getting braids which finally got their hair to hang down (and looked pretty cool too). Maybe consider this option if you want your kinky hair to hang down?
05-10-2013, 07:31 PM

(05-10-2013 04:13 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  I believe Rogelio mentioned something like 15 inches of minimum length for kinky hair to start to hang down, will ask him when he joins.

Out of all my friends with afro textured hair, I've never seen any with hair that hang down. Why don't you focus on trying to make the most of your natural hair instead of worrying about the hair hanging down? It will save you more than one headache Smile (and I speak from experience too!)

Thanks Smile

Not much worries, Id say I'm more curious to know when the afro I'm growing could be expected to hang down. Braids look like a good option to consider too.
05-11-2013, 08:15 PM

Toulalan,

Very kinky hair may virtually never hang down fully, especially the hair on the top; that's the nature of the beast. You will need some ridicously-long length (think +20 inches) to get the hair to hang down, and that's not a guarantee. All you have to do is look at pictures of the '70s when the Afro hairstyle was in vogue to see how the women would have incredibly-long Afros that would hold up pretty sweet. Granted, they used hair spray to secure the hair but any other hair type/texture would hang down at lengths of 20+ inches.

Check out Diana Ross' Afro hair to see what I mean.

[Image: tumblr_mkreakNwEy1sn7haao1_500.jpg]

You can, however, make your hair hang down by adding weight to it in the form of styling creams or by braiding the hair.

If you got any more questions, let them know.

All the best

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
05-15-2013, 01:09 PM

Bro, been trying to get my kinky hair to hang down for ages, never happened LOl
04-07-2014, 12:24 PM
I believe if its too kinky it wont get down lol. Unless u have it super long, since it will weight more..
04-09-2014, 04:04 AM
I have the same problem Toulalan. I do not have hair as thick as yours but I often think if gravity will ever hit my hair...sheesh, such a pain. So much easier for people with straight hair, ya know. Do people know of any hair products that may help the OP or me with wavy, out of control, thick hair like mine? Can a hair stylist do anything to straighten our curly hair if we so desire? I wish I had advice but I'm in the same boat as you Toulalan.
04-09-2014, 12:06 PM
(04-09-2014 04:04 AM)worsthairever Wrote:  I have the same problem Toulalan. I do not have hair as thick as yours but I often think if gravity will ever hit my hair...sheesh, such a pain. So much easier for people with straight hair, ya know. Do people know of any hair products that may help the OP or me with wavy, out of control, thick hair like mine? Can a hair stylist do anything to straighten our curly hair if we so desire? I wish I had advice but I'm in the same boat as you Toulalan.

Well, for starters, if you read The Men's Hair Book, you will read that very kinky hair (think afro-textured hair) can take over 15 inches to start hanging down and many times, it needs way more length than that (i.e. 25+ inches). That's the nature of the hair type as it is.

There are several things you can do:

1) Use a hair texturizer. A hair texturizer is a chemical product that alters the structure of the hair strands to loosen the curls (think S curls). The product is a chemical and it will weaken your hair a little, so you need to use a hair conditioner often. For men with really kinky hair who simply want to drop one type down in the hair type classification, then using a texturizer is a good, fast and simple option.

I would recommend you this particular texturizer set. It comes with the texturizer as well as the required conditioner and restructuring mask. It is simple to use, just follow the instructions on the label. You will need gloves, though, which don't come with the kit, so get some latex gloves like this cheap pack of large gloves.

2) Use a hairstyling cream that adds weight to the hair. A good styling cream will add weight to the locks and thus elongate them and help them hang down. Such a styling cream will also smooth the curls, moisturize them and loosen them, so to speak. The good thing about a styling cream is that it won't weaken your hair, but, unlike the texturizer, the styling cream will only yield its effect until you shampoo the hair again.

A good styling cream is this particular one. It comes in a huge bottle, hence the high price, but it's a really good product for curly hair and for smoothing the curls, plus it will last you ages.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How long to grow medium afro hairstyle for wavy hair? R.mendez099 1 444 07-30-2016 01:56 AM
Last Post: PrettyboiJ21
  Long Curly Hairstyles For Men Guide with Pictures Gallery TheMensHairForum 2 819 06-11-2016 11:39 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
Bug Help defining curls in Coiled/Kinky Hair PersonaSound 0 298 06-11-2016 09:38 AM
Last Post: PersonaSound
  Anyone Looking To Grow Their Wavy Hair Long? Unshorn 11 3,515 12-12-2015 12:02 AM
Last Post: ImNotSureIfiCanGrow