Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long hair men, what is your one tip to grow healthy hair?
05-22-2013, 02:46 PM
Long hair men, what is your one tip to grow healthy hair?
Considering we are getting more and more members in our online community and some with long hair already, why don't we pool out on some essential tips to grow healthy long hair that those of us who have grown hair long have learned?

I dont have long hair any more but back in the day a tip that was very helpful was having a healthy diet. It is amazing how having good nutrition will help in growing healthy long hair.

What your tip to grow healthy long hair?

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-22-2013, 03:07 PM
RE: Long hair men, what is your one tip to grow healthy hair?
Be patient.

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
05-22-2013, 10:35 PM
I once tried growing my hair long so i second the whole being patient about it.
Keeping the hair from tangling in the first pace is another important tip especially if you have any hair type but straight hair.
05-24-2013, 09:32 PM
i have never grown my hair very long because it takes so long to reach a good length as ai have kinky hair type. So if you have tight curly hair then i totally agree with patience when growing your curls out.
05-25-2013, 11:51 PM
(05-24-2013 09:32 PM)AfroJay Wrote:  i have never grown my hair very long because it takes so long to reach a good length as ai have kinky hair type. So if you have tight curly hair then i totally agree with patience when growing your curls out.

it feels like afro textured hair never grows long. i know it actually grows like the rest of the other hair types but damn!!
05-26-2013, 03:54 PM
As a male who has grown his curly hair to beyond navel length, patience is essential. Likewise, it is imperative to not damage your hair because the hair that is currently at whatever length you have will be the same hair that you have once you reach your desired final hair length.

I always tell men (and in my sites/books) to treat one's hair as one would treat his car's chassis!

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
05-28-2013, 12:33 AM
Back when i tried to grow my wavy hair long, I got it to shoulder length and then it was too much stress looking after it so I cut it. For me, it was very important to keep the hair from tangling so I learned to use conditioners almost daily. After reading The Mens Hair book I think Im now better prepared to face long hair and Im seriously considering growing my hair long again.
05-31-2013, 02:20 PM
i've personally never had it any long past the ears but had a couple of mates who did grow quite long (lower back). They used to keep the hair tied all the time, apparently this helps with growth and the hair care bit of long hair.
05-31-2013, 05:41 PM
Certainly putting long hair into a ponytail helps with keeping the hair in one place so it's not dangling over the place and catching on things. That's a good tip right there (it's also mention in The Mens Hair Book)

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
05-31-2013, 05:58 PM
makes sense, I remember one day some of his hairs got stuck in the seat of a fun ride we were on. Lucky for him it wasn't a roller coaster or anything like that but since then he'd tie his long hair with several scrunchies at different lengths of the ponytail. No hair would be loose Big Grin
01-24-2014, 09:04 AM
(05-31-2013 05:58 PM)Anton Wrote:  makes sense, I remember one day some of his hairs got stuck in the seat of a fun ride we were on. Lucky for him it wasn't a roller coaster or anything like that but since then he'd tie his long hair with several scrunchies at different lengths of the ponytail. No hair would be loose Big Grin

Not a longhair yet but almost... still, for me (after the Men's Hair Book) shampooing less, using conditioner daily, and then also using the leave-in conditioner for me is essential for my hair to look remotely neat as my hair progresses past medium length.
01-27-2014, 02:28 PM
(01-24-2014 09:04 AM)carterholmes2 Wrote:  
(05-31-2013 05:58 PM)Anton Wrote:  makes sense, I remember one day some of his hairs got stuck in the seat of a fun ride we were on. Lucky for him it wasn't a roller coaster or anything like that but since then he'd tie his long hair with several scrunchies at different lengths of the ponytail. No hair would be loose Big Grin

Not a longhair yet but almost... still, for me (after the Men's Hair Book) shampooing less, using conditioner daily, and then also using the leave-in conditioner for me is essential for my hair to look remotely neat as my hair progresses past medium length.

The Men's Hair Book is a great book and everything you need to know to grow your hair healthy and strong is in that book. Yes, the use of a leave-in conditioner is a good option as the leave-in will make your hair much more manageable and if you have wavy curly or coiled curly hair, it will help get your curls more defined Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-04-2014, 11:11 PM
My one tip would definitly be to wash less often with shampoo.
I use shampoo maybe once a week.
Thing is, that while youre under the shower, washing only with water, your hair doesent feel very good while wet, and your tempted to use shampoo.
To me, one of the most important things for healthy, shiny longer hair is to get the natural oils down your ends. I also condition every 3-4 days.
06-11-2014, 09:28 AM
(05-04-2014 11:11 PM)Migu85 Wrote:  My one tip would definitly be to wash less often with shampoo.
Thing is, that while youre under the shower, washing only with water, your hair doesent feel very good while wet, and your tempted to use shampoo.
To me, one of the most important things for healthy, shiny longer hair is to get the natural oils down your ends. I also condition every 3-4 days.

My hair is very fine and becomes greasy very quickly (i.e. two days), and it really shows so I have no choice but to wash my hair often.
07-08-2014, 01:33 PM
(05-04-2014 11:11 PM)Migu85 Wrote:  My one tip would definitly be to wash less often with shampoo.

that's the recommendation I hear from people very often.
perhaps, it is due to my hair type, but if I do not wash my hair with shampoo/conditioner, I can't brush them without pulling even MORE hair afterwards
07-09-2014, 10:46 AM
(07-08-2014 01:33 PM)Foques Wrote:  

that's the recommendation I hear from people very often.
perhaps, it is due to my hair type, but if I do not wash my hair with shampoo/conditioner, I can't brush them without pulling even MORE hair afterwards

Careful with brushing your long hair. What is your hair type? Straight, wavy, coiled or kinky? Have a look at our hair type guide which is an adaptation of the hair type guide pioneered by Rogelio Samson and published in The Men's Hair Book (click link to see the book).

Brushing your hair (i.e. with a hair brush) can yield more issues than pros depending on the hair type.

07-09-2014, 11:59 AM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2014 11:59 AM by Foques.)
(07-09-2014 10:46 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Careful with brushing your long hair. What is your hair type? Straight, wavy, coiled or kinky? Have a look at our hair type guide which is an adaptation of the hair type guide pioneered by Rogelio Samson and published in The Men's Hair Book (click link to see the book).

Brushing your hair (i.e. with a hair brush) can yield more issues than pros depending on the hair type.

well, dang. I'll need to read up on this.
I have straight hair.
07-09-2014, 01:57 PM
(07-09-2014 11:59 AM)Foques Wrote:  well, dang. I'll need to read up on this.
I have straight hair.

Well, certainly do read up on the hair type guide. A male's hair type and hair length are the 2 most important parts when it comes to starting to narrow down the best hairstyles, hair care and grooming options available. We also have our hair length guide which too is modeled after Rogelio Samson's hair length guide and concepts published in The Men's Hair Book.

If you haven't already, get The Men's Hair Book (you can see and/or buy it HERE). The book has everything that you need to know about your hair and on keeping it as you want it to for the rest of your life (or until you go bald LOL). Rogelio does also cover long hair in the book and he pioneered a really useful hairstyle concept known as the "extended vs. visible length" of hair.

Just don't stop giving visiting our forum here and giving us love once you have read Rogelio's book and know your hair in and out! Big Grin

Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Knotted ,lifeless and quite long hair [Help] theboggart 0 129 11-06-2016 11:52 AM
Last Post: theboggart
  How to get long hair like Johnny Depp hairstyle Sonchek 3 459 10-26-2016 11:53 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  Growing Shoulder Length Hair from Medium Hair, How Much Time? damon789 2 525 10-03-2016 09:37 AM
Last Post: The Hairstylist
Wink How to grow long hair like Avan Jogia from short medium haircut zuburaika 6 7,426 09-11-2016 04:33 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz