Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long hair men tips to grow healthy locks and use products
06-23-2015, 12:15 PM
Long hair men tips to grow healthy locks and use products
Hey all I'm a long hair guy for 3 years now and I'm so happy to find this awesome forum. I'd like to post some long hair men tips I've found useful over the years!

So first of all if you want to have healthy long hair as a guy, you have to take good care of it, especially if your hair is brittle and thin, or if you're balding. Here are my tips to have long manly hair in great shape and health:
  • Follow a healthy diet. I think this is my top tip as I cannot explain with enough words how my hair became so much better, stronger and grew faster by changing my diet to a better diet. I actually started to follow the diet advice in a book called the men's hair book about a year ago and the changes to my hair have been impressive.
  • Don't use drugs. That includes alcohol and tobacco.
  • If you don't sweat much, don't wash your hair every day, especially if it's long. Shampoo 2 to 3 times a week, that should be enough.
  • Don't use too much shampoo.
  • Instead of hair wax or hair pomade, use a hair cream to style your hair and keep it naturally shiny.
  • Use a special product for your tips so as to prevent in this way split ends (or repairing them).
  • Avoid the use of a hairdryer, at least during summer. My hair reaches a bit further down my shoulders and in the winter I dry the ends and the roots so as to not get a cold. Keep the hair dryer about 10 inches from your hair and don't use it on maximum heat!
  • Don't backcomb your hair too often.
  • Don't use too much hairspray or hair gel.
  • Don't keep your hair tied up all the time.
  • If you dye your hair, choose products without ammonia whenever it's possible.
  • Be careful when you dye your hair, don't keep the products on your hair longer than recommended (I know that you do that because you want a more intense color, but you just ruin your hair).
  • A little bit of a deep cleaning shampoo can work great for oily hair, but don't do it too often or over a long period of time. There are some great recommendations in this forum actually so search for clarifying shampoos in the forum as those are the ones you want to get but be careful and only get the ones recommended by the forum barbers for men. I cannot post links yet but maybe someone else can link to the threads talking about these super shampoos as they're so useful for long hair IME.
  • Cut your hair at least a couple of times a year, it will make it stronger (I hate to cut my hair, I always beg the hairdresser not to cut more than an inch, but I know it's necessary!).
  • Buy good products and always ask for advice in places like this forum if you have any doubts. It's better to ask "stupid" questions than buy something that's not suitable for your hair. I joined this forum in part o ask those "stupid" questions too lol!
I am not a barber or an authority on long hair so please add your own tips or correct any that you may think is not correct. I have seen that there is a good number of long hair guys in this forum too so I'm very happy to join a place where you guys are on the same journey. Hopefully I can get my mane to grow to my waist although I'd be happy with middle back length! Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-23-2015, 05:19 PM
RE: Long hair men tips to grow healthy locks and use products
Great tips man. I've been growing just about the same time as you (~3.5 years). I've found many of these to be helpful as well, but the overall goal is simply keeping your hair—and yourself—healthy.

I'm trying to see how long I can grow mine too. Right now it's pretty much between my shoulder blades. It doesn't seem like it's been getting much longer, but I think it's getting there as I've been making small improvements/adjustments to how I take care of it.

Anyway keep lettin it ride man. To our our hair and our shoulders, may they never part ways.

El Rubio
06-24-2015, 07:51 AM
Hey El Rubio great to hear from you, I also noticed that you posted on my welcoming thread! Smile

What's your hair length goal? I'm also having some trouble getting more length. For example the first two years were a walk in the park for me in terms of hair growth. My hair grew fast and strong but as for the last 6 months I really feel like it has slowed down. I have read that your hair growth potential is limited by your genes and that the lifecycle of a hair strand is between 2 to 8 years which is why some people can grow super long hair and others can get past the shoulders. I really hope that I'm not reaching my potential by now as I would be thrilled to get my hair to my waist.

I read about the genetic theory from one of the big mods in this forum and his advice is always great so I've no doubts that each one of us has a limited potential. This is my first time growing my mane so long and one of the reasons is to know what my hair length potential is.

I totally agree with keeping yourself healthy. I can say that the best tip to grow thick and long hair is good nutrition. By fat a better diet and a couple of health supplements like some vitamins have made such a big impact on my hair. Since you mentioned keeping yourself healthy, do you have any special diet tips or nutrition tips for long hair?
06-30-2015, 01:43 PM
Hi mate those are some excellent tips for long hair. As a barber I can confirm that most of those tips that you've posted will help any lad grow his mane as long as he wants while maintaining it healthy and lustrous.

Two things tho that I wanted to comment about you tips and which are unfortunately myths that just get repeated all the time. It isn't your fault, we get plenty of long hair guys coming to our barbershop repeating myth after myth that they ether read in a magazine, read in a website or that someone who knows someone else told them.

As you will have read by now this forum is against perpetuating myths and thee are many threads here that are hardcore eye openers on the topic of men's hair and male grooming. I only post in one forum in my spare time and that's this forum because unlike other men's forums I have seen, this one cuts thru the rats and tells things as they are. I'm glad to be able to post in this forum too with a same attitude and at our barbershop you'll find the same attitude.

Anyway here are my thoughts on these two tips of yours.

Quote:
  • Use a special product for your tips so as to prevent in this way split ends (or repairing them).

You cannot repair split ends. Once the ends of your hair strands are damaged, that is it. Hai cannot be repaired in the strictest sense because hair is dead. You can use some products to glue together the broken parts of the split end for a while, but the minute that you shampoo your hair again, you lose the glued benefit.

Don't fall for those products promising to repair your split ends. They just give you a temporary effect but it disappears the next day or when you shampoo your hair again.

If you're looking to maintain your split ends glued for as long as possible, then look into a Japanese or Brazilian keratin treatment. It's expensive as hell but it will make your hair tips way more smoother. The problem is that you will also end up with straight hair so I don't know if that's your thing. The straight hair that you get from a Brazilian keratin treatment is quite cool tho as it removes all frizz.

If you want to learn more about keratin hair-straightening treatments then see this post about hair straightening for men which talks about how a famous football player called Radamel Falcao straightens his hair using that same exact method. Browse down a little on that linked post and you will find some useful advice on the keratin hair straightening treatment and the tools to do it yourself if you want to.

Quote:
  • Cut your hair at least a couple of times a year, it will make it stronger (I hate to cut my hair, I always beg the hairdresser not to cut more than an inch, but I know it's necessary!).

This is another myth. Cutting your hair will not make it stronger. It will not make it grow faster or thicker either like most people think and like most hairdressers will tell you. They tell you this because it benefits their pockets. I could just as well say this to my barbershop customers and pocket more money as they come to my barbershop more frequently to get haircut trims thinking their hair will become stronger, thicker or grow faster. But like I mentioned I am not into the scammy practices of some people in this industry.

We even had a barber at our barbershop who used to say these things to his customers without the rest of us knowing he was saying this kind of rats. The minute the manager was aware of this, he literally kicked the guy out of the barbershop. That geezer was just doing some work experience anyway so he got to learn as an experience how lying and scamming your customers for more money can get you a good kick in your behind!

My long hair tip is very simple - Do not get a haircut until you each the hair length that you had in mind. Once you get there you simply get a haircut whenever your hair grows too long for your linking and that's it.

Most guys do not get split ends since we don't do the silly things to our hair that most women do to their hair but in the case that you have some split end, just lightly trim the specific hair strands with the split ends. Just take off half an inch or a centimetre and you're done mate.

One more thing I fully agree with the use of a clarifying shampoo when you feel that your hair is getting too greasy or dirty. Se this list of recommended shampoos for men for a list of all the types of shampoos available for men and which shampoo is recommended ones for each type. Just browse down a little in that list to see the section that talks about clarifying shampoos and which also links to a pretty good clarifying shampoo.

You must have skipped the huge chapter in The Men's Hair Book about the myths on men's hair because these two myths are debunked in the book in a lot of detail actually. Just mentioning this as it's a massive book so maybe you haven't yet got to that chapter or didn't get to read it. That chapter on men's hair myths is hilarious as there's a lot of silly stuff that many guys are made to believe with advertising and which is totally blasted by the book. That chapter in itself will help you to save a lot of money down the line mate so make sure that you read it.

Cheers!
07-05-2015, 04:03 PM
Mane Man,

I don't really have a hair length goal, although if it started getting close to the lower part of my back I'm not sure I would want to go much longer than that. I just kind of want to see how long I can get it. Maybe I'm reaching that point now—I've read similar information about terminal length being determined by genes.

As for specific diet, nutrition, supplements, etc. I've read different things but all pretty general. I just try to eat a huge amount of fruits and vegetables, but if I learned about more specific things that help I'd be willing to give it a try. So let me know!

Hope things are good man.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Knotted ,lifeless and quite long hair [Help] theboggart 0 140 11-06-2016 11:52 AM
Last Post: theboggart
  How to get long hair like Johnny Depp hairstyle Sonchek 3 478 10-26-2016 11:53 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz
Wink How to grow long hair like Avan Jogia from short medium haircut zuburaika 6 7,481 09-11-2016 04:33 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  New hairstyle, long hair to ...? philippe_lopes 0 335 09-08-2016 02:33 PM
Last Post: philippe_lopes