Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long hair journey to growing a man bun!
07-25-2015, 09:10 PM
Long hair journey to growing a man bun!
Hello everyone!

I got my last haircut on March 10th of 2015. The length on the sides/back were a #2 and the top was a #5 (the top was cut February 14th 2015 and was not touched on the last haircut). Please help with any advice if you all have gone through the awkward stages ha ha. I hope to post progress photos soon.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-28-2015, 01:25 PM
RE: Hair journey to man bun!
Awesome! there are quite a few forum members growing their manbuns and talking about it so I'm sure that you will feel at home. I don't have one but as a barber I get to trim and style quite a few of them weekly.

Are you going to keep the sides and back of the head in an undercut? I'm talking of the man bun undercut http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...eard-style

This thread in the link has more information on the man bun undercut. Or are you looking to get a different disconnected haircut?
07-28-2015, 06:55 PM
RE: Hair journey to man bun!
Hi Bradley!

I am actually growing out the full man bun! It's going to be a long road, but I really want to see my hair reach my shoulders.

Do you know if I can post pictures directly from my iPhone?
I don't really upload any photos online, but I have been documenting my journey on YouTube.

Thanks for the response. Do you have any recommendations on styling my hair as I'm growing it out?
Wes
08-01-2015, 10:02 AM
You'll need a conditioner, a leave-in conditioner and a styling cream for the manbun!
Welcome on board! The recommended hairstyles for you during the awkward stage of your hair growth will depend on your hair type and your current hair length. In fact, hair type and hair length are the major determinants when it comes to choosing the best hairstyles.

If your hair is straight, wavy or coiled, then a cool hairstyle to wear while growing a man bun is the slicked back hairstyle which keeps your hair flat and evenly styled. Such a hairstyling format as is the one of the slicked back hairstyle allows you to directly tame the beast during the awkward hair-growth stage.

Regardless of your hair type, the main defense against the awkward stage is to keep your hair moisturized. This is done by using regular hair conditioners and also by using good leave-in conditioners. These two men's hair products are essential to keep the frizz away and to manage the puffiness that comes with the territory of growing your hair long to a man bun. See the links and try to at least get a regular conditioner. The leave-in conditioner is used when styling your long hair or your man bun as you coat your tresses with the leave-in conditioners and then proceed to tie the man bun or keep your long mane dangling.

Another great hair product to style your hair while keeping it moisturized is a styling cream. This type of product has a stronger hold than a leave-in conditioner, so if you want to keep your hair slicked back or swept to the side, then a styling cream will be a better hair product for you. What we recommend to men growing their hair long (whether to sport a man bun or any other type of long hairstyle) is to use a regular conditioner at least 3 times per week, and to own both a styling cream and a leave-in conditioner.

By owning a styling cream and a leave-in conditioner, you can vary your hairstyles during the awkward stage of your hair growth and also once you hit your desired hair length. Both of these products are great for the man bun too, with a styling cream giving you some extra natural shine and slick, while the leave-in conditioner giving your long mane some extra fullness but without the extra shine (i.e. as if you weren't using a hair product at all).

See our list of the best hair products for men to see which regular conditioner, leave-in conditioner and styling cream we recommend. I highly encourage you to at the very least own a regular conditioner and either a leave-in conditioner or a styling cream (if you can't get the 3 products together due to your budget's limitations). Unfortunately, long hair requires some extra care when compared to short hair, and thus you need to take the use of hair products seriously. While a guy with short hair can get away with not using a regular conditioner, a guy with long hair will not get away with it!

One more thing, I've upgraded your account so that you can upload your own pictures to the forum from your phone. You can also upload your pictures to a free image hosting site like IMGur which only takes a couple of seconds to upload and then post here.

It's up to you how you want to go about posting your pictures, but do know that many of us will be following your journey to an epic man bun hairstyle! Smile

P.S. I take it that, with your current buzz cut length, you will be growing your hair long all across your head (i.e. sides and back included), correct? Or will you be growing only the hair on the top of the head while keeping the hair on the sides and back of the head buzzed or very short?

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
08-02-2015, 08:17 AM
RE: Long hair journey to growing a man bun!
Thank you for the response! It is an honor to have a reply from the official men's hair forum.

I have wavy hair and it is about 4.5 months on top and 3.5 inches on the sides/back. The plan is to grow it out all around!
I've been using conditioner, leave in conditioner and fx surf paste mixed with axe natural hair creme to style.

I would like to try the slicked back style like Bradley cooper. Not a big fan of the wet or greasy look that pomade gives.

What would give me good hold without the shine? My bangs tend to curl down from a cowlick on my front center hairline.

The plan is to grow it out all around! I have thought about getting a trim in the back to prevent a mullet look. But I guess I'd rather suffer through a mullet and reach my goal length sooner than later.
What are your thoughts on the trim?

Also how do I post photos from my phone. I tried copying and pasting the photo but it won't work :/
I have been posting YouTube videos on my journey...here is one 3 weeks ago (http://youtu.be/hIzTxI2GF2A)
09-18-2015, 07:07 PM
RE: Long hair journey to growing a man bun!
About 6 months and 1 week
let me know what you think looks best! This is au naturale ha ha. As you can see I have a cow lick front and center http:// m.imgur.com/Fy4yhHH,efOpDzw I typically tuck it behind the ears and part the top like either of these two: the off center part today (kind of a 90's look I'm not sure how I feel about) http:/ /m.imgur.com/3TcphFg Side part http: //m.imgur.com/CgnDXu7 i may have to resort to an Alice band when the bangs get longer and all up in my face ha ha. I feel a bit self conscious rocking it, but whatever it takes to get to my goal length! Do elastic bands look more masculine than the Alice band http:/ /m.imgur.com/4y1FjyN,UkcG5AF,PsfPMSj
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Growing and growing now need some cutting Jawad21 24 7,114 04-17-2016 12:30 PM
Last Post: Jawad21
  Growing long hair (man bun) with fine hair type Bsrfitness 3 7,748 03-13-2016 02:01 PM
Last Post: Eetu00
  Chronicling my long hair journey jaysen_ 6 1,109 12-28-2015 12:42 AM
Last Post: jaysen_
  Short hair to long Journey shahrukhch1 21 9,340 12-15-2015 03:56 AM
Last Post: Fantast1c