Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long hair guy advice and knowledge to grow a longer mane!!
06-23-2015, 11:24 AM
Long hair guy advice and knowledge to grow a longer mane!!
Hello! My name is Taylor and I joined this forum because this is an excellent website to learn about lots of stuff on grooming and hairstyles. I have long hair to about my shoulders and I want to grow my hair for as long as it can grow. I'm 22 years old and I have been growing my wavy hair for 3 years.

I've read in the forum that hair length is genetic so I want to know up to where I can grow my hair. Growing my hair to my waist would be awesome though and it's a hair length I would be very happy with.

Long hair needs a lot of care so it's a dedicated journey IMO when I discovered this forum some months ago I just could not get my eyes off the forum since every thread is an opportunity to learn something new. I love the attitude of the long hair guys in here and the community built around having great hair and plus the barbers and hairdressers are incredibly knowledgeable IMO again.

In these 3 years of growing my hair long I have tried to read as much as possible about male hair. I'm surprised as to the little information available for long hair and also as to the really bad advice available on male hair. This forum and a couple more websites are really the exception but I would say that a good 95 per cent of male hair websites out there are useless. I know swearing is not allowed in this forum so I'd keep the tone down but some of the advice I read on websites that should know better is just stupid. I'm not saying I know everything about hair since I'm just a guy growing his hair long and I'm a full time college student but those websites giving advice should really be working on what they're writing and not on putting bad advice to get some cents worth of advertising or whatever it is that they get by visiting their sites.

Dunno this stuff angers me because I wasted a good one year of my life growing my hair the wrong way by following bad advice so I had to cut my hair and start again. So I have been growing my hair for 4 years in total only that the first year was a total flop!! Big GrinBig Grin

I'm so happy to finally join this community and get to meet you all and hopefully get some advice by the hair gods and gurus that have made this forum so famous! Cool
One more thing please could someone enable my account to post images as I would like to post some of some questions I have, thank you!

Taylor
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-23-2015, 03:28 PM
Whatever your hair length or hair type as a male, you will find the answers here!
Welcome, Taylor! It's always a pleasure to have yet another long-haired member in the forum. Indeed, we have quite a long-haired community going on with its own forum section, hence you will be at home.

About the issue of bad-quality content and bad advice online (on other sites, not ours!), this is a recurring theme that many forum members have mentioned and complained about in the past. It's actually why this website and forum was founded in its very beginning: to counter all the bad advice and information going on and provide a place where we can discuss all things on male grooming, from our own forum barbers and hairdressers all the way to regular guys like yourself who want to learn more about their hair and grooming to just look better.

This forum is here to help everyone out, although always bear in mind that it isn't always possible to 100% help every single request in full. But, just by reading already our thousands of current forum threads, one can gain a lot of knowledge that will be of maximum value to just about any male seeking the mythical "awesome mane" concept that was so eloquently explained in popular book, The Men's Hair Book (not written by any of us but instead it is written by a guy whom you've probably heard of and who does post in this forum every once in a while).

I've also seen your great contributions so far on tips for long hair. Great job! I've also upgraded your account so that you can post images, links and have other privileges (this is something we provide to all forum members as courtesy upon request).

Welcome again and I hope to see you around!

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-23-2015, 05:11 PM
RE: Long hair guy advice and knowledge to grow a longer mane!!
Yo Mane Man!

Glad to see you on here. I haven't posted a whole lot since joining, but stoked up to see your message! It's great to have another longhair homie.

I've also found a lot of information out there to be garbage, but this site has always been reliable for quality material.

I'll keep an eye out for your updates. In the meantime, have you ever used coconut oil in your hair? It's awesome.

Chris
06-24-2015, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the welcome guys!! Also thanks for upgrading my account, I actually posted a question about the buzz cut hair length of Brad Pitt in this thread.
http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...ir-picture

I have used coconut oil (in reply to "The Long Hair") and I think it works very well but you have to be careful not to use too much because then it gets greasy. I find coconut butter then melted in my palms to be a bit nicer to my hair than coconut oil. I always use raw coconut butter with no added stuff to it. What kind of coconut oil do you use?

I have been using olive oil on my hair after I read a book called the men's hair book which is the one that was mentioned in one of your replies. I take nutrition as something very serious and olive oil is really good for a healthy diet. Th book says that oils like olive oil can also be used on the hair and I've been very surprised with how smooth it made my hair look. So right now I'm just messing around with olive oil but I was also happy with coconut butter.

One thing that I wanted to ask soon in another thread is about hair products to make hair grow faster. I know that growing long hair is a journey but I am so lucking forward to having my hair to at least middle-back length!! Would you guys say that nutrition alone could accelerate the speed of hair growth?? I'm talking of a good diet with maybe some supplements because I seem to have noticed that it does. One thing that I noticed with a good diet is that my hair looks much better and also thicker.
07-05-2015, 03:52 PM
Yo Mane Man,

I just use a coconut oil I found at a specialty hair products store. It can definitely get too greasy so I always shampoo and condition a few hours later or go surfing (lucky enough to live by the beach), which washes the excess oil out. After reading your reply I want to try the coconut butter, because I've found the oil to be a little harder to deal with being completely liquid.

As far as growing faster, from what I've read yes, simply keeping a healthy overall diet will help your hair grow faster. We get this question a lot, so working on a post to address that a little more thoroughly.

Going to reply to your other post as well, cheers mate.

El Rubio
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  London barber sharing knowledge on mens hair and hairstyles! A London Barber 2 98 10-26-2016 05:12 PM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  Long Hair Male looking for hair care info before shaving locks - Hey xbadgerx 0 126 07-18-2016 02:34 AM
Last Post: xbadgerx
  Newbie Wants Long Hair ImNotSureIfiCanGrow 0 257 12-06-2015 07:46 PM
Last Post: ImNotSureIfiCanGrow
  Long forehead Kasëm 0 286 11-29-2015 07:11 PM
Last Post: Kasëm