Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long hair detangling for men: how to detangle knots instructions
08-08-2014, 11:01 AM
Information Long hair detangling for men: how to detangle knots instructions
Here is my guide on how to detangle long hair. It is a guide for long hair men, but hey anyone can use it! this long hair detangling guide is the one I use to remove knots and tangles from my long mane. I also use the same process when my hair starts to mat and has not yet formed the knot. You want to catch the hair before it forms a full tangle or knot as otherwise it becomes more difficult to remove.

Hair detangling tools

Here is the list of tools that you will need to detangle your hair. Wide tooth combs or hair pics, needles and long pins such as old fashioned hat pins, small knitting needles or even smooth surface chop sticks. No matter which is chosen, try to find one that is made of a non-porous substance such as ivory, marble or other such stone. A poorly finished wood will tend to snag strands. So metal wood and plastic items must be smooth with no burrs or rough edges or rough bumps should be in the object or objects used.

Also needed for this job is lots of conditioner (see the thread for conditioner info) or hair oil. Detangling products also can come in handy, but they should be used in combination with the conditioner and oil. Normally we insist on using only all natural hair products, but in this emergency. Any product available is fine. The final thing that you need is plenty of patience, and a helping pair or two of extra hands is also going to help.

Hair detangling strategy

As with all long hair tangles, be they major or minor tangles, each one is different. Some tangles require you to start untangling from above the tangle others start below the tangle. Take some time to figure out how the tangle was created, and how to best remove the tangle.

When it is necessary to detangle from the bottom of the tangle. Then do so and work upward to remove the snarls, slowly pulling successively higher knots down and out the ends. This simple rule is very important with badly tangled hair.

A detangling strategy is important! Why? Because jumping into a tangle without a plan of attack will make the detangling process longer, and more difficult. So take some time to before your start to assess the situation.

How to detangle hair knots and matted locks

Start out by completely covering the tangled area and all hair around and below the tangle in conditioner or oil. Coating the entire head of hair is fine and will not hurt, but may feel odd. If neither oil nor conditioner is available, then water is the next best thing. It will be worth a short drive to pick up some conditioner if you do not have any. As even an inexpensive conditioner will give better and faster results than water. Don’t try to comb the conditioner or oil in. Just apply it directly to the hair, then press the tangle between the hands to spread the conditioner or oil evenly through it. This is very important.

Once the tangled area and the hair below it are soaked with conditioner or oil, slowly comb the length below the tangle to remove any minor tangles. When this is done, carefully finger pull the knot in all directions to enlarge hair loops within the knot. Then work with both the comb or pic and one of the other items listed.

Do not try to bust through tangles. Realize it is not possible simply to comb through a badly tangled spot. Start picking toward the bottom of the knot, carefully inserting the tool and very lightly tugging with steady, easy pressure at the small hair loops to loosen them, working them open and out the bottom of the hair. Using just the hair pick or wide tooth comb, angle the instrument so that only one tooth goes through the snarl. Make sure to do this slowly and with a regular, gentle approach. This prevents tightening any existing tangles into larger, more complex knots, defeating the goal.

Expect it to take anywhere from 1-4 hours to remove all of the snarls. It may seem like a long time, but compared to how long it takes to grow 6 or 12 inches of hair (1-2 years), it is nothing. So as you can see patience is very important. It is not necessary to remove the entire tangle at one time. Taking breaks is encourage, and may give you some extra insight or time to discuss the best way to continue. However, the sooner all tangles are completely removed, the better, as knotted strands are much more prone to breakage.

Combing wet long hair

Wet long hair combing should be done every time your hair gets wet. No matter how your hair gets wet, it should be combed before your hair dries, unless you are going for the unkempt look. Adding the below combing routine to your day will make your hair more manageable.

The structure of your hair changes when wet much like the structure of paper. Like wet paper your hair becomes weaker as soon as it is wet and even when damp the structure weakens. The first thing to learn about wet Long Hair is to NEVER EVER use a brush on it. Brushes are for dry hair only. Combs and hair pics are best for wet hair. The wide tooth combs and hair pics are preferred with most hair when wet.

Start combing from one to two inches from your ends. Begin gently feeling for snags and tangles. Slowly remove all tangles as you work your way up to the roots. Then begin with slow strokes thru the entire length of your hair. Comb your hair until it is as near perfect as possible. Then let air dry if you can.

Combing wet curly hair

Wet curly hair (see the curly hair section for more info) behaves differently on each person. Some curly heads should not use a comb or pic in their hair when wet. You should already have a feel for what is best for your curly hair when it is wet. If not then be careful for now on. If it hurts or feels wrong, then stop.

Comb quality

Combs are a must for long hair care. Combs made from the right materials with the correct finish are good for the hair. Combs can also create damage. Any comb that you purchase needs to be free of all sharp and rough edges and surfaces. Check all of the teeth to see that they are perfectly smooth. Plastic combs can create static electricity and are easily cut. Which can make for a snag when you use it. So check your combs regularly for rough and sharp areas. The best combs and pics a re made from smooth materials. such as ivory, marble or finished wood and metal.

If any moderator can post links to recommended combs for long hair. The ones I have seen recommended in this forum are great and I bought the sandalwood one which I have to say has worked awesomely!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2014, 04:27 PM
RE: Long hair detangling for men: how to detangle knots instructions
This guide rocks dude. As someone who used to have long hair, I feel for those long hair men who find themselves with hair tangles and knots. These tangles are evil cause as the more you delay the detangling, the more the tangle spreads. I remember I had a friend who grew his hair long with me and he had curly hair. He really had some curly mane going on but he stopped his hair care for like a week as he went traveling and he came back with huge tangles. They were so bad that I had to chop his tangles off so he lost all his years of hair growth.

Tangles are a serious issue so I can't thank you enough for such a long hair detangling guide, even if I don't have long hair anymore! Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Knotted ,lifeless and quite long hair [Help] theboggart 0 119 11-06-2016 11:52 AM
Last Post: theboggart
  How to get long hair like Johnny Depp hairstyle Sonchek 3 439 10-26-2016 11:53 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz
Wink How to grow long hair like Avan Jogia from short medium haircut zuburaika 6 7,352 09-11-2016 04:33 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  New hairstyle, long hair to ...? philippe_lopes 0 321 09-08-2016 02:33 PM
Last Post: philippe_lopes