Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long Hair Men and Balding: Pictures to Show it is Possible
06-11-2014, 11:31 AM
Long Hair Men and Balding: Pictures to Show it is Possible
Long hair and balding may seem like being on opposite ends of the mens hair spectrum, but as you can see in the pictures below of balding men with long hair, so long as there is enough mane "mass" on top of the head and the balding and thinning is isolated to the hairline, one can still successfully wear long hair.

When we talk about "successfully" wearing long hair, we're talking about aesthetics, meaning that the hairstyle or hair length suits the man and the quality and quantity of his strands. Of course, any man who is experiencing advanced male pattern baldness can still wear long hair, but the hairstyle will no longer suit him if we simply focus on aesthetics. For me with advanced balding, it is better to go with these hairstyles for balding men where a medium length is used to conceal the bald spots and enhance any volume that is left. With long hair, the hair hangs down and cannot be styled up, which means that any hair loss and spots will be easily visible with a long mane.

An example of a balding male with long hair is Thorin Oakenshield in Lord of the Rings. Thorin Oakenshield's hair is long and has the classic island formation on the middle of the hairline as the hairline recedes at the temple. He looks like a solid Norwood III with no vertex (i.e. crown) thinning, so Thorin Oakenshield's hair is a perfect example of how men with a Norwood III can still rock a long mane!

The actor who played was Richard Armitage, who he himself usually wears short hair and who has a Norwood III. At the end of the picture set, I have posted 3 pictures of Richard Armitage's short hairstyle so you can see the pattern of the hairline too.

[Image: thorin_oakenshield_screenshot_xxix_by_go...5t4d4k.jpg]

[Image: thehobbit-0024281.jpg]

[Image: dos2-13.jpg]

[Image: 70b5e7fb13b1205b4688b4999e9c512f.jpg]

[Image: hobbitauj-564.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mobvn6msop1rptsybo1_500.jpg]

[Image: thehobbit-007575.jpg]

[Image: b14406a3fe3b9851e9787a5b21938e541.jpg]

[Image: SkWSvPD.jpg]

[Image: B6hwsq0.jpg]

[Image: richard_armitage_project_magazine.jpg]

Below is also the Norwood classification model. We have discussed extensively the Norwood classification in Nadal's hair loss thread where male pattern baldness and it's types were discussed. In the typical projected progression of male hair loss, it is the temples that first recede and then the vertex (i.e. crown) starts to thin out, ultimately forming a spot with hardly any strands left.

[Image: WySY1EY.jpg]

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2014, 05:00 AM
RE: Long Hair Men and Balding: Pictures to Show it is Possible
I m not sure that his hair in the movie are "original" are they?
07-08-2014, 02:02 PM
I'll show you another example of this being possible once I can post pictures.. Sad
10-07-2014, 09:22 AM
Admin thanks for the long hair pics. It gives us balding guys some hope. I mean if one is a norwood 4 then there is no point in growing hair long. But if there is still a good amount of hair on the top with only the temple tracks receding... I think long hair can be a good hairstyle for balding men.

Norwood 2 and norwood 3 are ok with long hair. Norwood 4 and above are not. Would that constitute good advice for balding guys?
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Knotted ,lifeless and quite long hair [Help] theboggart 0 121 11-06-2016 11:52 AM
Last Post: theboggart
  How to get long hair like Johnny Depp hairstyle Sonchek 3 445 10-26-2016 11:53 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz
Wink How to grow long hair like Avan Jogia from short medium haircut zuburaika 6 7,368 09-11-2016 04:33 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  New hairstyle, long hair to ...? philippe_lopes 0 325 09-08-2016 02:33 PM
Last Post: philippe_lopes