Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Layrite vs Suavecito? Expert hairstyle pomade advice please!
01-28-2015, 11:28 AM
Question Layrite vs Suavecito? Expert hairstyle pomade advice please!
I have seen both pomades recommended in the forum but how would you actually compare Layrite vs Suavecito? It can be the water based pomade from Layrite and Suavecito, or the oil based pomades.

Thanks to this forum I have tried both and I am happy with how both work. I would say the Suavecito pomade gives a matte finish while the Layrite pomade gives a shiny finish. I am talking about the water based pomades. Not the oil ones cause my hair gets greasy too fast and I'm following the sebum coating method in The Mens Hair book.
If I compare the ease of cleaning of Suavecito vs Layrite, I would say Suavecito is a bit easier. but both are fine to wash away.

So what do y'all barbers here and forum members say about the Layrite vs Suavecito pomades? Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-28-2015, 01:41 PM (This post was last modified: 01-28-2015 01:42 PM by Alex.)
RE: Layrite vs Suavecito? Expert hairstyle pomade advice please!
In my opinion they are about the same in terms of quality which means they are very good quality pomades. I would consider them so far the best pomades. If we are talking of water pomades as my experience with oil pomades is about zero lol

YMMV but i have the same results as you mention. Suavecito pomade for wet hair with low sheen. Layrite pomade for high sheen slicked hair. Again that is if were are talking of water pomades. What i do is i have both of them as their pomades aren't expensive compared to some of the other pomades. Premium pomades blow anyway so Suavecito & Layrite is where it's at for mens pomade hairstyles. Thinking this is a good topic to discuss since i usually see the two water pomades recommended in the forum depending on the hairstyle but we all know there can only be one king pomade in this case ha!
02-10-2015, 04:43 PM
(01-28-2015 11:28 AM)Stevens Wrote:  I have seen both pomades recommended in the forum but how would you actually compare Layrite vs Suavecito? It can be the water based pomade from Layrite and Suavecito, or the oil based pomades.

Thanks to this forum I have tried both and I am happy with how both work. I would say the Suavecito pomade gives a matte finish while the Layrite pomade gives a shiny finish. I am talking about the water based pomades. Not the oil ones cause my hair gets greasy too fast and I'm following the sebum coating method in The Mens Hair book.
If I compare the ease of cleaning of Suavecito vs Layrite, I would say Suavecito is a bit easier. but both are fine to wash away.

So what do y'all barbers here and forum members say about the Layrite vs Suavecito pomades? Smile

I just ordered Suavecito pomade but haven't received it yet. I ordered it because I want to try the "Disconnected undercut" style that's so popular lately. I read on a thread somewhere that if I wanted a wet look, that Suavecito was the pomade to go with. Now I'm reading that it will just give me a matte finish, and that if I want high shine that I want to use Layrite. Someone else contrasted wet look (in which case I need Suavecito) and high shine (go with Layrite)!! Am I missing something??? I would think wet look and high shine are one and the same look!!!! Someone - please help!!
02-15-2015, 08:24 AM
For me it would be the classic slicked hair with the layrite pomade. That makes the hair flat and shiny. Also it's possible to side comb flat.
Suavecito pomades for me are less classic and more volume. I was confused what that meant until i tried them with stuff like the brush up hairstyle. The suavecito pomade still holds my hair fine i just feel it is almost a matte look compared to the layrite pomade. Not so much matte but more like low shine.

(02-10-2015 04:43 PM)SteveMcG Wrote:  I just ordered Suavecito pomade but haven't received it yet. I ordered it because I want to try the "Disconnected undercut" style that's so popular lately. I read on a thread somewhere that if I wanted a wet look, that Suavecito was the pomade to go with. Now I'm reading that it will just give me a matte finish, and that if I want high shine that I want to use Layrite. Someone else contrasted wet look (in which case I need Suavecito) and high shine (go with Layrite)!! Am I missing something??? I would think wet look and high shine are one and the same look!!!! Someone - please help!!

If i am reading you right i think you are confusing wet with shine? i remember reading some where one of the forum barbers described what wet hair and shiny hair were. It's not the same.
02-15-2015, 02:08 PM
Great replies gentlemen. It looks like we all have more or less the same experience. Would still be great to hear a couple more replies if possible. I think they're both good as brands anyway so whichever one ends up buying will be a good move. I suppose it's the final hairstyle and how it looks that you should take into account when choosing the pomades of Layrite vs Suavecito.

(02-15-2015 08:24 AM)Machado Wrote:  If i am reading you right i think you are confusing wet with shine? i remember reading some where one of the forum barbers described what wet hair and shiny hair were. It's not the same.

Ditto. When I think of wet hair I think of hair like when you leave the shower. Maybe dry the hair a little but keep that wetness. When i think of shine I think of the mens hair from fifties with all the greasers and rockabillies Big Grin Well these are extremes but when thinking of wet hair or shiny hair, it helped me to visualize that to choose a mens hair product to get the look.
02-21-2015, 06:45 AM
Layrite vs Suavecito comparison. Different hairstyle looks.
It's pretty much the rule of thumb that has been posted above.

Suavecito's water-based pomade:

Suavecito's pomade (see the link HERE) is more for a low-tone wet look. Not as much sheen as Layrite. Strong hold but not as strong as Layrite. Expect your hair to look similar to Jake Gyllenhaal's Prisoners haircut with the slicked back hair.

Layrite's water based pomade:

Gives high sheen in a similar manner to the old-school oil-based pomades. Among all the newer water-based pomades imitating the old-school slicked back look of the 1930s, Layrite's water-based pomade does he job very well (see the link HERE).

What I recommend and what many forum members have found helpful is to buy both pomades and compare them for the hairstyle looks you want to aim for. Each of the 2 pomades gives a different finish, so, by having Suavecito's pomade and Layrite's pomade, you're pretty much covering the range of slicked pomade hairstyles available, whether it's a Pompadour or slicked back hair.

You could add another pomade brand as a third pomade in your arsenal of men's hair products (something like Black & White if you dig hyper-shiny look), but by owning both the Suavecito and Layrite pomades above you will have your bases covered in terms of men's hairstyles.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
02-28-2015, 03:30 PM
I have curly hair, so when I want a slickback or a combover I straighten my hair and apply wax on dry hair, I can't use water or it'll curl up again. The thing is, because I apply the wax on dry hair, the shine isn't really great. Never used pomade so here is my question. Will my hair some shine if I apply Layrite's pomade on my dry and straightend hair? or do I have to use water to get that shiny look. Thanks
02-28-2015, 03:50 PM
What i do is i dry my hair with a towel and leave my hair almost completely dry, then i start styling with the Layrite pomade. It works for me to get shine like that. I find that having the hair just a little bit wet helps me to spread the pomade, or hair or hair gel, better across my hair. In the past when i didn't know better, i would use hair gel with my hair totally dry. This worked ok but it works way better now with minimal damp hair, almost completely dry hair like i said with drying the hair with a towel.

Do you use a hair dryer? you could do like i do and then also use a hairdryer on the hair as you slick back your hair with the Layrite pomade. So you leave your hair almost dry but a tiny but damp, coat your hair with the Layrite pomade with as much as you want and then slick back with comb and hair dryer so your hair gets completely dry as your styling. If i remember correctly the heat from the hair dryer helps to keep the hair straight when styling curly hair. From my personal experience i just think that the little bit of moisture in damp hair works better for slicking hair, so perhaps you could try something similar to the hair dryer method i mentioned?
02-28-2015, 05:20 PM
(02-28-2015 03:50 PM)Machado Wrote:  What i do is i dry my hair with a towel and leave my hair almost completely dry, then i start styling with the Layrite pomade. It works for me to get shine like that. I find that having the hair just a little bit wet helps me to spread the pomade, or hair or hair gel, better across my hair. In the past when i didn't know better, i would use hair gel with my hair totally dry. This worked ok but it works way better now with minimal damp hair, almost completely dry hair like i said with drying the hair with a towel.

Do you use a hair dryer? you could do like i do and then also use a hairdryer on the hair as you slick back your hair with the Layrite pomade. So you leave your hair almost dry but a tiny but damp, coat your hair with the Layrite pomade with as much as you want and then slick back with comb and hair dryer so your hair gets completely dry as your styling. If i remember correctly the heat from the hair dryer helps to keep the hair straight when styling curly hair. From my personal experience i just think that the little bit of moisture in damp hair works better for slicking hair, so perhaps you could try something similar to the hair dryer method i mentioned?

Thanks for the detailed reply, your method would most likely take away all the shine, which is not really what I'm looking for
03-01-2015, 01:55 PM
(02-28-2015 05:20 PM)SAMCRO Wrote:  Thanks for the detailed reply, your method would most likely take away all the shine, which is not really what I'm looking for

Well for me when I use the Layrite pomade, I have damp hair. This is between wet hair and dry hair. I have curly hair but I don't keep my hair straight.

Sometimes my hair is less curly when I have used hair gel the day before. If I put a little bit of water then my hair will lose the less curly shape and it will become naturally curly. This is the same that happens to you I think, but for you this is a problem because you want to keep the straight hair. I am sorry but I only have experience with the Layrite pomade with curly hair.

With my experience I find that the Layrite pomade looks better and with more shine if I style it with damp hair, not dry hair or wet hair. With wet hair my hair looks different after 1 or 2 hours and it is not very shiny compared to using the pomade with damp hair. With dry hair it is more difficult to style my curls using the Layrite pomade.
03-02-2015, 12:13 PM
(02-28-2015 05:20 PM)SAMCRO Wrote:  Thanks for the detailed reply, your method would most likely take away all the shine, which is not really what I'm looking for

Technically the best way to style mens hair is when it's damp. It's just way more efficient and you end up using less hair product. However with straight hair, dry hair styling is fine. It's with straight hair when one can get away with styling his hair without a shred of dampness.

I take it that your hair is naturally curly so your hair is straightened. Even with straightened hair you can style your hair when it's dry. I know what you mean about the slightest amount of water making the hair lose the straight shape, that's very common with straightened hair. Just remember to use concentrated products with the least amount of water as some products have a lot of water and can make your hair curl back from the water in the product, tho you should be fine with the Suavecito pomade.
03-04-2015, 10:33 AM
Style your straightened hair when it's dry if dampness will affect it negatively.

If you happen to have that issue, which is understandable since moisture and dampness breaks the straightened-hair pattern, then simply style your hair when it's dry. I've explained just earlier the benefits of styling damp hair as opposed to dry hair, but in your case, you will do fine with styling your hair dry.

For shine, as in a high-shine pomade, go with the recommended Layrite pomade in this thread.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-04-2015, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I have seen a few guys on youtube with curly hair. They applied Layrite to their hair while it was a little damp, they say it stays straight all day long. I guess I'll be trying out Layrite soon then.
03-05-2015, 07:33 AM
(03-04-2015 03:07 PM)SAMCRO Wrote:  Thanks for the replies guys. I have seen a few guys on youtube with curly hair. They applied Layrite to their hair while it was a little damp, they say it stays straight all day long. I guess I'll be trying out Layrite soon then.

Yup, try it with your hair a tad damp. What you can do is get some empty spray bottle, fill it with water and then spray some of the water into your hair. That will get you a small amount of dampness. If you don't have a spray bottle, you can buy them from Amazon next time your shopping for hair products.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Looking for new products, requiring some advice (pics at the end) Magikarp_Approves 0 86 11-06-2016 04:05 PM
Last Post: Magikarp_Approves
  What is the best product for short/faded hairstyle? willhtun 1 352 07-21-2016 09:50 AM
Last Post: willhtun
  How to degrease and remove pomade from hair leastwood2 1 616 06-15-2016 09:40 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
  Ponz Grooming hair pomade opinions and experience vicktor.j 0 181 06-13-2016 10:04 AM
Last Post: vicktor.j