Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kid wants to grow hair long from bowl haircut
01-06-2014, 11:51 AM
Kid wants to grow hair long from bowl haircut
My cousin is 12 years old and wants to grow his hair long. His parents are cool with that as they are into the whole vegetarian hippie thing although neither my uncle or my auntie have long hair. His plan is to grow his hair to about chest length and he has a bowl cut right now so the hair at the top is about four inches long while the hair around the sides and the back is clipped, i think its clipped something like a three or so.
My question for growing hair long is that should he continue growing his hair without making the sides and the top even in length? or should he get a haircut and clip the hair at the top so it matches the short hair length at the sides and then start the long hair growth journey from there??
For exmaple if he starts growing his hair know then say in like a year his hair will look awkard right? i mean the difference in length between top and sides-back...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2014, 11:55 AM
RE: Kid wants to grow hair long from bowl haircut
btw my cousin browses this forum even before i told him about it lol he got the idea of growing his hair long from seeing pictures in the forum and he knows some of you have long hair too. His a bit shy so he hasnt joined yet and he prefers to spend time in the forum reading and learning first...i also got him the Mens Hair book for christmas and he is starting to put all the advice into practice etc
His hair is straight and he grows it super fast which is a genetic thing as all men in my family grow hair fast lol
01-06-2014, 02:07 PM
My suggestion is to have him grow his hair without a haircut first then when he gets the length he wants make the hair even.
By your description 4 inches of hair is not a lot of difference especially for straight hair. IMO dont give him a haircut yet & go with how the hair looks as it grows. Getting a haircut will only make it longer in time to have the hair reach the chest. Lots of men have grown long hair from a bowl cut or undercut including me Smile didnt have a problem and then just even the hair shape with my own barber shears.
So wait and let the hair grow then ask him how he feels about his hair looks when it is longer & continue with the hair growth or get a haircut for the top hair to even the lengths.
01-07-2014, 10:10 AM
(01-06-2014 02:07 PM)Jurgen Wrote:  My suggestion is to have him grow his hair without a haircut first then when he gets the length he wants make the hair even.
By your description 4 inches of hair is not a lot of difference especially for straight hair. IMO dont give him a haircut yet & go with how the hair looks as it grows. Getting a haircut will only make it longer in time to have the hair reach the chest. Lots of men have grown long hair from a bowl cut or undercut including me Smile didnt have a problem and then just even the hair shape with my own barber shears.
So wait and let the hair grow then ask him how he feels about his hair looks when it is longer & continue with the hair growth or get a haircut for the top hair to even the lengths.

Alex, do as Jurgen posted above. You can cut hair in a matter of seconds yet it will take months to grow that cut length again.

Let your cousin continue growing his hair and adjust the hair length discrepancies as it continues to grow (or even don't adjust until his hair reaches his chest).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
01-24-2014, 08:52 AM
(01-07-2014 10:10 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(01-06-2014 02:07 PM)Jurgen Wrote:  My suggestion is to have him grow his hair without a haircut first then when he gets the length he wants make the hair even.

Alex, do as Jurgen posted above. You can cut hair in a matter of seconds yet it will take months to grow that cut length again.

Let your cousin continue growing his hair and adjust the hair length discrepancies as it continues to grow (or even don't adjust until his hair reaches his chest).

To reply to this, I also have been recently growing my hair out--and am a new member as well!!--but have struggled with when to trim and cut because my hair was medium length before I started the process last summer. And keeping some semblance of order during the "awkward stage" was very difficult last year.

While I have checked for split ends every month and a half or so and only gotten tiny trims a few times, the hair on the back of my head was longer to begin with and grows faster than the hair on top of my head. I was advised never to cut the hair on top of my head and that the back can be shaped up. I can pull all the hair back except for the top that falls in my face and a little that I struggle to tuck behind my ears. I debating whether or not I should shape up the back of my head. Hope this helps a little. What to you think?
01-27-2014, 02:25 PM
carterholmes2, hold onto the "awkward" hair growing stage as once you're pass it, your hair will begin to look great.

Patience is the name of the game when growing hair long Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
02-01-2014, 04:26 PM
I actually remember as a kid my hair would grow all funky when me mother got me a bowl cut as literally shed just shave all hair below the bowl perimeter causing the deepest undercut you could imagine lol no idea why back in those days mothers would do the whole bowl cutting method to all kids and we would all turn up to school with the same haircut
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Knotted ,lifeless and quite long hair [Help] theboggart 0 129 11-06-2016 11:52 AM
Last Post: theboggart
  How to get long hair like Johnny Depp hairstyle Sonchek 3 459 10-26-2016 11:53 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz
Wink How to grow long hair like Avan Jogia from short medium haircut zuburaika 6 7,428 09-11-2016 04:33 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  New hairstyle, long hair to ...? philippe_lopes 0 328 09-08-2016 02:33 PM
Last Post: philippe_lopes