Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jake Gyllenhaal Prisoners haircut advice
07-15-2014, 07:47 PM
RE: Jake Gyllenhaal Prisoners haircut advice
Hey,

I have a few questions,

1) Is this a good hairstyle for roundish faces?

2) If not, how could it be changed to fit a rounder face?

3) Is this a haircut that would be normal for an older barber?

4) And will you be able to see any scalp on the shorter end?

Thanks for any and all help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-24-2014, 12:41 PM
More Prisoners haircut pictures.
Here are some more pictures Jake Gyllenhaal's Prisoners haircut.

[Image: tumblr_mvyt8hRa1v1qmxrsmo1_500.jpg]

[Image: 2b9e89ce44e109a82cfc4845553a0308.jpg]

[Image: 2290099572bc7fbdeb09de133a461376.jpg]

[Image: f7a655501b2627868f15c248ce53df34.jpg]

[Image: b14eb65d0bc82f7f7fb15df6497c5583.jpg]

[Image: f808eca776f6d1480fcf5c9a6a99365a.jpg]

[Image: 2e43b68c0fa0f63ba28b6822613d45f8.jpg]

(07-15-2014 07:47 PM)JulianN Wrote:  Hey,

I have a few questions,

1) Is this a good hairstyle for roundish faces?

2) If not, how could it be changed to fit a rounder face?

3) Is this a haircut that would be normal for an older barber?

4) And will you be able to see any scalp on the shorter end?

Thanks for any and all help.

1) No. The Undercut is not a good haircut for round faces. Instead get a short taper haircut for a round face. Any skilled barber should be able to do a good taper with a hair clipper.

2) Tell him to do a taper haircut with a hair clipper only instead of an Undercut.

3) Yes. Older barbers rock and they are the best hair professionals for slicked back hairstyles and haircuts.

4) No. Simply tell him to finish the taper with a number 1 (clipper length).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
12-02-2014, 12:13 PM
I have a few more pictures of this haircut directly from the movie, however, I can't post them here right now.

I am slowly getting there, although my hair has to grow a little longer still. For hairproduct I take the SuaVecito Firm Hold pomade. However, I am not 100% sold on it. I love that it washes out easily, but when I am in a rush in the morning and the hair is still a bit damp and I get on my bike (with the cold wind blowing), the hair gets really strong/firm and it shines a little much as a consequence. What are good alternative hair products that they may have used on the movie that have strong hold and don't shine that much (especially when the hair gets firm)? Or should I apply it on dry hair? Then however, it is kinda too sticky... Smile Or maybe I'm just not doing it right with damp hair.

Many thanks for your advice!
12-11-2014, 01:48 PM
This is a really great cut imo but the question is if your barber can pull this off?
12-13-2014, 08:12 PM
Best of luck! If it's already cut, post a picture!
12-15-2014, 01:02 PM
I really want this haircut.

My current haircut is a comb-over undercut hairstyle going from right to the left. It is currently about 5 to 2 inches in length going from the right to the left. The sides and back were cut using a 3-blade and are disconnected from the top with no blending at all.

My question is should I just let my hair grow, as I have been doing for the last month and a half, so that I have enough length on top and then once it's long enough on the left get it cut so that it's all the same length or just cut it short now and then let it grow evenly on top?

Also if I were to just let it grow would it be possible to do the tapering if the top and sides were previously disconnected?

Thanks for the help guys.
12-25-2014, 10:53 AM
I think this haircut is the one for me, I have a question though:
-Actually, I have straight short hairs (aprox 1 inch), the hair on the top of my back head is standing up. is the haircut still relevant?
12-25-2014, 11:09 AM
(12-25-2014 10:53 AM)hawkeye Wrote:  I think this haircut is the one for me, I have a question though:
-Actually, I have straight short hairs (aprox 1 inch), the hair on the top of my back head is standing up. is the haircut still relevant?

1 inch is too short. you won't be able to slick it back. Try to grow it longer (6 inches is probably the best length for the undercut)
12-25-2014, 11:37 AM
(12-25-2014 11:09 AM)ductrunggg Wrote:  
(12-25-2014 10:53 AM)hawkeye Wrote:  I think this haircut is the one for me, I have a question though:

1 inch is too short. you won't be able to slick it back. try to grow it longer (6 inches is probably the best length for the undercut)

I know, the problem is the hair standing up on the top of my back head.
by the way, my hair grows up slowly, do I have to let it for months so I can have the length needed for this haircut? or do I have to just cut the sides?
12-26-2014, 07:30 AM
Hair length for slicked back Undercut.
As the poster above has said, you do need more hair length to successfully style a slicked back Undercut. We recommend a minimum of 4 inches, although 6 inches is a good number too, and especially for wavy haired men.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
02-19-2015, 11:10 AM
Hey Guys

Sorry to bump this thread but I got this haircut today following the instructions in this thread. I can gladly say that it went well.

Frankly it's the best haircut I have ever got.

I'd recommend if you were getting this haircut to have the required length and to go to a decent barbers.

Thanks Men's Hair Forums for the great article.
05-23-2015, 12:05 PM
Hi lots of fantastic advice on getting the cut here but does anybody have any advice on actually styling? The products are all listed and I have purchased them all but struggling with my technique.
Thanks in advance.
05-28-2015, 08:32 AM
The Jake Gyllenhaal Prisoners hairstyle is very easy to comb and style with pomade!
(02-19-2015 11:10 AM)jbstargate1 Wrote:  Thanks Men's Hair Forums for the great article.

It's our pleasure! That's what all our hairstyle guides are for, to help you all out in getting the best haircuts and hairstyles. We understand that getting a good haircut based on a male celebrity can be complex or confusing, so we're very happy to accommodate specific hairstyle guides for male celebrities as we've done with this Jake Gyllenhaal's haircut guide.

(05-23-2015 12:05 PM)padgey828 Wrote:  Hi lots of fantastic advice on getting the cut here but does anybody have any advice on actually styling? The products are all listed and I have purchased them all but struggling with my technique.
Thanks in advance.

The actual styling for the Jake Gyllenhaal's Prisoners hairstyle is very easy; it's the haircut that can get a bit complicated if your barber isn't very skilled in tapering hair and giving Undercut haircuts.

The hairstyle of Jake Gyllenhaal in Prisoners is a slicked back hair style. The best thing that you can do is to go through our slicked back hair guide so as to learn how to slick your hair back with pomade or hair gel (or even hair wax).

As a summary of how to style your hair like Jake Gyllenhaal's slicked back hair, you must first set the foundation for the hairstyle by combing your hair back when it is damp. Start at the forehead's hairline and comb back all the way to the vertex (i.e. crown area of the head). From there, you grab your chosen pomade (Suavecito, Layrite or any other good brand) and you coat your hair with the pomade by using your fingers.

Once you hair is coated in pomade, you then comb your hair back again with the comb. Repeat the combing back process again for a second time. From there, you have 2 options:
  • Keep combing back your hair until it is as flat as you want. A flat slicked back style is what we call a classic slick back. There's plenty of information on the classic slick back style in our guide linked above.
  • Use your fingers as if they were your comb and run your fingers back, from the forehead's hairline to the vertex. By running your fingers instead of the comb, you will achieve a less flatter hairstyle as you acquire volume. You will also break the evened out direction of the slicked back foundation.

Continue running your fingers back until you're happy with the look. You can also use a good hair dryer if you want for even more hair volume on your slicked back hairstyle. This type of hair slicking with the fingers so as to achieve volume is what we call a modern slick back style. Again, you will find a lot more information and advice on this modern version in our slicked back hair guide.
As a last tip to achieve Jake Gyllenhaal's Prisoners hairstyle, start with the smallest amount of pomade possible and then keep adding pomade until you like the pomade-coated look.

The pomades that we usually recommend and which you'll very likely have bought are the water-based pomades as they are far less greasier than the original oil-based pomades. However, that doesn't mean that you can use a whole tub of a water-based pomade for your slicked back style, so, if this is your first time slicked your hair back, then test the waters first and you will quickly find out the ideal amount of pomade to slick your hair back! Smile

11-14-2015, 05:12 PM
Showed a barber some pics of Jake. Not sure if either my hair is too short or he doesn't know what he's doing but ultimately wouldn't say i got what i asked for. It's probably down to my eyebrows, so about 2inches which i know is less than jakes. Although that said ive seen a guy in person who's hair looks a similar length to mine yet his looks way better. What to do about the side bit of hair at the top that goes to the opposite side and is shorter? I'll attach pictures later.
12-22-2015, 09:08 AM
This thread is very helpful, I just have one question before I try this tonight.
I have medium length thick wavy curly hair. I recently bought Layrite Super HOld Pom and without using my flat iron I was able to achieve a surprising straight looking sleek back. But now I would like to have a style like Justin timberlake currently has (not sure how to post a pic, but its the picture of him in the sleek back style guide. My main question is, should I use the flat iron before going to the barber or should I bring it with me? Would having it flat ironed before help the barber better achieve the look I want? Thank you!
08-06-2016, 02:19 PM
I like that it's a simple hair style, keeps your eyes clear of bangs. Looks best when you're wearing a suit.
08-07-2016, 09:54 AM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2016 09:57 AM by AlexVI.)
First of all, I would like to thanks all the people that contributed to this thread, I truly appreciate all the advice that you guys gave. I've been following this thread for a while during my time getting this haircut and I think that I can say that I'm nearly, if not, there. I love it even if some of my friends call me a vampire for it. I followed all your instruction, buy all the product necessary (pomade, comb,...) to get a result as close as Jake's haircut. So again thank you for all the work that you guys put in this guide for people like me to follow! Big Grin

P.S. : Sorry if there is some mistakes, my french can introduce himself in my english sometimes!
02-20-2017, 12:34 AM
I am afraid that this hairstyle will not suit me. But I might find a better way to actually get it to look similar to the slicked back undercut. Fingers crossed!
03-01-2017, 07:17 AM
What do you do on the back of the head?
I’ve had one haircut where the back felt thick and long, as the head shape transitions from vertical to horizontal. I liked it, but I’ve had three haircuts since, and every time the barber has cut that area short, and it just didn’t feel the same.
I try to explain that I want the back to stay long, but no one gets it except the very first time I got an undercut. Unfortunately, the person that cut my hair no longer works there.

When I also try to explain the two step undercut, I get the "it's not really an undercut" reaction.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Undercut Hairstyle: How to, Haircut, Pictures, Products - OFFICIAL thread Barber 204 675,705 04-24-2017 01:35 PM
Last Post: KfcKappa
  Short Haircuts for Men - Guide with Pictures, Tips and Advice TheMensHairForum 22 514,196 03-15-2017 08:23 AM
Last Post: HarpreetSingh
  2 Step Undercut Hairstyle: Official Haircut Guide with Pictures and How-To Advice Jurgen 7 125,258 02-28-2017 02:19 AM
Last Post: Ilovehairstyle
  Mohawk hairstyle and haircut guide - How to and Pictures TheMensHairForum 16 26,726 07-31-2016 11:40 PM
Last Post: Kiddfresh