Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jake Gyllenhaal Prisoners haircut advice
01-02-2014, 12:52 PM
Jake Gyllenhaal Prisoners haircut advice
Hi guys, can anybody tell me what haircut does Jake Gyllenhaal have in Prisoners please? i think it is an undercut as in the classic undercut hairstyle with the hair combed back but i am struggling to really narrow it down to a specific hair style...
As well as what would be good hair products to buy for the Jake Gyllenhaal prisoners haircut or hairstyle...can i do it myself?? am sure of the styling yes but what about the cut assuming some light experience cutting my own hair??
Thanks!!

lol forgot to say 'Prisoners' is a movie from 2013 that had Gyllenhaal and he had the same haircut most of the movie...pictures of the style below

[Image: article-2508393-1973D98D00000578-919_634x477.jpg]

[Image: Wo0TzM1.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2014, 02:23 PM
RE: Jake Gyllenhaal Prisoners haircut advice
You are partially correct Alex: his haircut is a 2-step Undercut with a slicked back hairstyle.

We actually covered the haircut and hairstyle of Jake Gyllenhaal in Prisoners in this forum in the past and one of our forum members followed the instructions I gave him and got a real cool 2-step Undercut very similar to the one from Mr. Gyllenhaal in that movie.

Before I tell you how to do the 2-step Undercut hairstyle of Jake Gyllenhaal in Prisoners, let's first post some more pictures of how the haircut/style looks (pictures straight from movie):

[Image: v66rmc.jpg]

[Image: 1olwzr.jpg]

[Image: snpgdj.jpg]

Now, in some pictures the hair experts in the forum and I could not tell if this was a 2-step Undercut, a 1-step undercut (regular Undercut) or a taper haircut as the amount of light in a scene can disrupt the real shape of the cut. Finally, we got around to posting the following picture of the haircut that told the whole story of the cut:

[Image: 2v26tjc.jpg]

The haircut was a 2-step undercut that had been done with a fast taper (where circled area is) to connect the hair on the top of the head and the hair in the first Undercut (top Undercut step), with all this being a form of the Undercut haircut (a 2-Step undercut is just an Undercut with 2 horizontal layers or steps). A regular classic Undercut has no tapering of the edges or very minimal tapering of the edges in the case of curly hair, and there is only one step in the regular Undercut or layer to clip with a one clipper length (and that's everything below the temples).

Now, giving yourself an Undercut is very easy, just choose the length in the hair clipper and clip away everything that is below the temple horizontal line (imagine seeing your head from the side and drawing a horizontal and straight line from the temples right till the crow aka back of top of the head, you clip everything under the line with the same hair clipper length you like, usually a #2, #3 or #4). However, taper cuts are a pain to get right if you don't have a lot of experience cutting your own hair and have the right equipment. So I recommend you to go first to the barber and give him the same instructions I gave forum member EmreYOrhan who was the one asking about Jake Gyllenhaal's Prisoner haircut.

EmreYOrhan followed the instructions for the Jake Gyllenhaal Prisoner haircut, went to the barber and this is what he got a week later:

[Image: 1zz2jyq.jpg]

[Image: 2j465uv.jpg]

Some phat Undercut hairstyle right there and exactly like the one in the movie! These were my instructions:

Top of the head: your choice of length. Jake Gyllenhaal has some 4-5 inches on the top (aprox.) although he has straight hair so adjust to your hair type
Rapid temple transition: shears
Layer just below temples down to one inch above ears: #5 guard
Bottom layer ears to hairline: #4 guard (we agreed on this one as it was difficult to see due to the lighting changes in the pictures)

The name of this Undercut variation (2 step Undercut) will vary according to your country but when in doubt, just say you want two layers done, each layer with a different clipper length (in this case, the top layer a #5 and bottom layer a #4).

Lastly, we also hypothesized the haircut was a simple undercut or just a double taper cut Big Grin (2nd one done with a hair clipper). EmreYOrhan followed my instructions above for a 2-step Undercut and it worked very well for him! I do recommend you though to take the pictures in this thread to the barber and if it all gets too complex for him, just ask for a simple Undercut with a #4 which will look very similar to the 2-step Undercut of Jake Gyllenhaal.

Hair products for the Undercut slicked back hairstyle of Jake Gyllenhaal in the Prisoners movie

As with all regular Undercuts, you want to use a good hair pomade to slick the hair back and a good men's comb too, none of that cheap thin plastic garbage. You would also want to get some decent shears (barber name for "scissors") and possibly a hair clipper if you want to maintain the lower Undercut layer (i.e. step). If you grow tired of having a 2-step Undercut you can simply grab your hair clipper and buzz through the hair with a #4 very easily, so do consider buying a hair clipper if you don't have one or have a cheap one, as a good hair clipper will save you a LOT of money down the road.

Get the following products:
This hair pomade
This men's comb (hand made)
This set of 3 shears if you are interested in cutting your own hair
This cordless hair clipper, top-end high quality clipper that lasts one hour straight buzzing hair without stopping and also comes with the full set for all your clipping needs!

If anything is not clear guys, then ask.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
01-02-2014, 10:29 PM
Friend has a haircut similar to this, best of luck pulling yours off!
01-02-2014, 11:12 PM
Alex, is like you had read my mind haha! xD
I remember reading this at the Undercut thread but I wanted a detailed guide and this nailed it Smile
I liked EmreYOrhan's pic so much when I first saw it that it was one of the decisive factors when deciding to go with an Undercut (and maybe even joining the forum since I was thirsty for knowledge Tongue )
I'm actually bringing his photo with me the next time I'll cut my hair! Big Grin
01-03-2014, 11:33 AM
Hey!!... what a cool haircut my friends and thank you themenshairforum for the great explanation of this undercut with steps, i understand it all but want to go to the barbershop first so my barber cuts my hair for the first time for my hair looking like that then i buy the hair clipper you are recommending and i do the under cut again in the bathroom easy after three weeks when the hair grows again Smile
But my problem is how do you say in spanish ---> under cut or ---> two steps undercut ?? because my barber is spanish and he only knows to say hello and goodbye in english jaja ---> thank you for your response !! Cool
01-03-2014, 03:55 PM
(01-03-2014 11:33 AM)JaimeSpain Wrote:  Hey!!... what a cool haircut my friends and thank you themenshairforum for the great explanation of this undercut with steps, i understand it all but want to go to the barbershop first so my barber cuts my hair for the first time for my hair looking like that then i buy the hair clipper you are recommending and i do the under cut again in the bathroom easy after three weeks when the hair grows again Smile
But my problem is how do you say in spanish ---> under cut or ---> two steps undercut ?? because my barber is spanish and he only knows to say hello and goodbye in english jaja ---> thank you for your response !! Cool

Rogelio (from The Men's Hair Book) once said the name for the Undercut in spanish but I cannot remember exactly what the name was, I think it was "en escalon" which in english translates to "in a step". However wait for his confirmation as he is fluent in spanish and he will be able to tell you exactly the word in spanish for Undercut.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
01-04-2014, 06:27 PM
only in the menshairforum.com can you find this kind of detail info lol
when I watched the movie i was thinking 'will the guys cover the haircut in the forum' but then i forgot about the movie and now I see it here, I knew it would be here! ha! Big Grin great stuff from you guys again the description is really good and the results from the forum member who tried the hairstyle is impressive.
I has curly hair so am afraid i cannot do this hairstyle and instead cna only grow huge puffy hair lol otherwise id be trying for sure

(01-02-2014 11:12 PM)Drokas Wrote:  Alex, is like you had read my mind haha! xD
I remember reading this at the Undercut thread but I wanted a detailed guide and this nailed it Smile
I liked EmreYOrhan's pic so much when I first saw it that it was one of the decisive factors when deciding to go with an Undercut (and maybe even joining the forum since I was thirsty for knowledge Tongue )
I'm actually bringing his photo with me the next time I'll cut my hair! Big Grin

that was and still is an epic thread
01-05-2014, 02:45 PM
The style looks so cool! I think its a winner for an office setting, sure the ladies will be mirin hard if you turn up to work with that undercut looking all dandy Smile

Lol!! I remember that thread too EmreYOrhan was asking about it then the thread stopped, one week later he posts the pictures and everyone was like WTF dude! lol good times
01-06-2014, 10:12 AM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2014 10:13 AM by Alex.)

Damn i so missed that part of the thread and didnt see it!! thanks any way bro

(01-02-2014 02:23 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  You are partially correct Alex: his haircut is a 2-step Undercut with a slicked back hairstyle.

We actually covered the haircut and hairstyle of Jake Gyllenhaal in Prisoners in this forum in the past and one of our forum members followed the instructions I gave him and got a real cool 2-step Undercut very similar to the one from Mr. Gyllenhaal in that movie.

Before I tell you how to do the 2-step Undercut hairstyle of Jake Gyllenhaal in Prisoners, let's first post some more pictures of how the haircut/style looks (pictures straight from movie):

[Image: v66rmc.jpg]

[Image: 1olwzr.jpg]

[Image: snpgdj.jpg]

Now, in some pictures the hair experts in the forum and I could not tell if this was a 2-step Undercut, a 1-step undercut (regular Undercut) or a taper haircut as the amount of light in a scene can disrupt the real shape of the cut. Finally, we got around to posting the following picture of the haircut that told the whole story of the cut:

[Image: 2v26tjc.jpg]

The haircut was a 2-step undercut that had been done with a fast taper (where circled area is) to connect the hair on the top of the head and the hair in the first Undercut (top Undercut step), with all this being a form of the Undercut haircut (a 2-Step undercut is just an Undercut with 2 horizontal layers or steps). A regular classic Undercut has no tapering of the edges or very minimal tapering of the edges in the case of curly hair, and there is only one step in the regular Undercut or layer to clip with a one clipper length (and that's everything below the temples).

Now, giving yourself an Undercut is very easy, just choose the length in the hair clipper and clip away everything that is below the temple horizontal line (imagine seeing your head from the side and drawing a horizontal and straight line from the temples right till the crow aka back of top of the head, you clip everything under the line with the same hair clipper length you like, usually a #2, #3 or #4). However, taper cuts are a pain to get right if you don't have a lot of experience cutting your own hair and have the right equipment. So I recommend you to go first to the barber and give him the same instructions I gave forum member EmreYOrhan who was the one asking about Jake Gyllenhaal's Prisoner haircut.

EmreYOrhan followed the instructions for the Jake Gyllenhaal Prisoner haircut, went to the barber and this is what he got a week later:

[Image: 1zz2jyq.jpg]

[Image: 2j465uv.jpg]

Some phat Undercut hairstyle right there and exactly like the one in the movie! These were my instructions:

Top of the head: your choice of length. Jake Gyllenhaal has some 4-5 inches on the top (aprox.) although he has straight hair so adjust to your hair type
Rapid temple transition: shears
Layer just below temples down to one inch above ears: #5 guard
Bottom layer ears to hairline: #4 guard (we agreed on this one as it was difficult to see due to the lighting changes in the pictures)

The name of this Undercut variation (2 step Undercut) will vary according to your country but when in doubt, just say you want two layers done, each layer with a different clipper length (in this case, the top layer a #5 and bottom layer a #4).

Lastly, we also hypothesized the haircut was a simple undercut or just a double taper cut Big Grin (2nd one done with a hair clipper). EmreYOrhan followed my instructions above for a 2-step Undercut and it worked very well for him! I do recommend you though to take the pictures in this thread to the barber and if it all gets too complex for him, just ask for a simple Undercut with a #4 which will look very similar to the 2-step Undercut of Jake Gyllenhaal.

Hair products for the Undercut slicked back hairstyle of Jake Gyllenhaal in the Prisoners movie

As with all regular Undercuts, you want to use a good hair pomade to slick the hair back and a good men's comb too, none of that cheap thin plastic garbage. You would also want to get some decent shears (barber name for "scissors") and possibly a hair clipper if you want to maintain the lower Undercut layer (i.e. step). If you grow tired of having a 2-step Undercut you can simply grab your hair clipper and buzz through the hair with a #4 very easily, so do consider buying a hair clipper if you don't have one or have a cheap one, as a good hair clipper will save you a LOT of money down the road.

Get the following products:
This hair pomade
This men's comb (hand made)
This set of 3 shears if you are interested in cutting your own hair
This cordless hair clipper, top-end high quality clipper that lasts one hour straight buzzing hair without stopping and also comes with the full set for all your clipping needs!

If anything is not clear guys, then ask.

Million Thanks bro !! like i said ^ i should have read that thread a few times but your explaining here makes so much sense i really appreciate your time Smile ill be taking this thread printed to the barber with the pictures but i think i need more growth on the top...ill just get the hair products for now and waite until i hit that length Cool not in a rush as i am finding putting all the advice in the forum into practice really helps me getting better at styling my hair and keeping it better
Thank you TmHF & every 1 else!
01-10-2014, 11:56 AM
Very trendy hairstyle cant wait to rock this myself Big Grin
01-10-2014, 12:03 PM
(01-10-2014 11:56 AM)-KANE- Wrote:  Very trendy hairstyle cant wait to rock this myself Big Grin

Do you have the haircut already and the length for the top? and the hair products? it is an easy hairstyle to do but you need to have the foundation first Smile but ladies love this classic hairstyle I will tell you that!
And post pictures when you get the hairstyle bro!
01-10-2014, 12:27 PM
I've got around 3 inchs on top but I'm gonna give it another week to grow out a little abit more before I get the cut and Ive got the murrays pomade at the ready Tongue Ill be sure to post the results Smile
01-10-2014, 12:46 PM
(01-10-2014 12:27 PM)-KANE- Wrote:  I've got around 3 inchs on top but I'm gonna give it another week to grow out a little abit more before I get the cut and Ive got the murrays pomade at the ready Tongue Ill be sure to post the results Smile

Excellent! consider that hair grows about 1 centimeter or 0.5 inches per month, may wait a month to get a little bit more length so the haircut looks better? for slicking back the hair in an undercut 4 inches is like the perfect length Smile
Not saying not to do it now but if you wait another month when you get the haircut the change in style will be even more impressive.
Be careful with Murray's pomade it is very greasy and with the undercut you want the hair to have some liberty so a less greasy pomade like the one we mentioned in this thread will give the hair a better look and will be closer to the hair of Jake Gyllenhaal in the Prisoners movie. If you have Murrays now then use it but when it finishes consider another pomade especially if it is making your undercut too greasy.
01-30-2014, 09:01 AM
(01-04-2014 06:27 PM)Robert Wrote:  only in the menshairforum.com can you find this kind of detail info lol
when I watched the movie i was thinking 'will the guys cover the haircut in the forum' but then i forgot about the movie and now I see it here, I knew it would be here! ha! Big Grin great stuff from you guys again the description is really good and the results from the forum member who tried the hairstyle is impressive.
I has curly hair so am afraid i cannot do this hairstyle and instead cna only grow huge puffy hair lol otherwise id be trying for sure

I have curly hair my self but I straightend it before doing the hairstyle. If I had used a pomade back then (I used gel-wax), my hair would have been even better than on those photos.
01-31-2014, 01:06 AM
Hey guys, I'm trying to do my hair like this, just having trouble getting i to do what I need. My hair guy says I have straight hair, and I'm not sure if it's just still used to being gelled o what, but it just doesn't want to go straight back. I also have a bit on the left side of my head that seems to go straight up.
Any feedback would be appreciated! Would post pics but this format of board won't let me.
01-31-2014, 02:10 AM
Nice. Hugh Jackman's very basic haircut there actually looks good too.
02-03-2014, 07:56 PM
Any pointers would be nice. It's starting to get there but still doesn't do exactly what I need.
02-04-2014, 05:52 AM
(02-03-2014 07:56 PM)knucklehead211 Wrote:  Any pointers would be nice. It's starting to get there but still doesn't do exactly what I need.

It is normal to have 2 hair types in your head such as straight and wavy, usually it's the top of the head is straight then the sides and nape area is wavy. Having said that you need at least three inches of hair length to confirm if you have straight hair or wavy hair, so maybe your hairdresser is just making a guess.

You will also need a lot of length on the top, about 4 inches; if you have your hair shorter on the top, the slick back won't work as well because your hair will stick up instead of follow up the pattern of the slicking. Also some guys have cowlicks on the crown (back of top of head) and you need lengthy hair to dominate it as otherwise the hair just stick ups and breaks the hairstyle.

02-04-2014, 10:24 AM
(02-04-2014 05:52 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(02-03-2014 07:56 PM)knucklehead211 Wrote:  Any pointers would be nice. It's starting to get there but still doesn't do exactly what I need.

It is normal to have 2 hair types in your head such as straight and wavy, usually it's the top of the head is straight then the sides and nape area is wavy. Having said that you need at least three inches of hair length to confirm if you have straight hair or wavy hair, so maybe your hairdresser is just making a guess.

You will also need a lot of length on the top, about 4 inches; if you have your hair shorter on the top, the slick back won't work as well because your hair will stick up instead of follow up the pattern of the slicking. Also some guys have cowlicks on the crown (back of top of head) and you need lengthy hair to dominate it as otherwise the hair just stick ups and breaks the hairstyle.

Thanks, that actually answers all of my questions! I do have that cowlick spot on the back and right now the length is just starting to come in. But I'm in it for the long haul!
05-19-2014, 09:13 PM
(01-02-2014 02:23 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  If anything is not clear guys, then ask.

Hey man, sorry to bump this thread so far from when it was originally posted. I saw this and had to make an account to thank you. This was the exact hairstyle I was looking for, and all the information you gave me was awesome. I want to be able to do this hairstyle on myself, but I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing (I've cut hair my own hair, but never with shears). If I picked up the products you suggested, is there any sort of advice you can give me? The only part I think I'll have trouble with is the 2 step undercut like you mentioned. Which shear should I use, and is there anything you could tell me to help me achieve that same taper? For my first cut, I'm going to go to a barber like you said and give it watch. On a side note, do you think a #2 on the side would be too short? Sorry for the wall of text, but again I want to thank you for getting me interested in my hairstyle a little more!
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Undercut Hairstyle: How to, Haircut, Pictures, Products - OFFICIAL thread Barber 200 626,179 10-07-2016 08:51 PM
Last Post: shenefbs
  Mohawk hairstyle and haircut guide - How to and Pictures TheMensHairForum 16 24,224 07-31-2016 11:40 PM
Last Post: Kiddfresh
  2 Step Undercut Hairstyle: Official Haircut Guide with Pictures and How-To Advice Jurgen 6 112,268 07-21-2016 08:44 PM
Last Post: Dwight
  The Man Bun - Epic Hairstyle Guide with Advice, Pictures, How to Style and Videos TheMensHairForum 27 350,754 05-02-2016 05:19 PM
Last Post: Refrusloi