Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ivy league haircut how to cut
06-16-2013, 04:25 PM
Ivy league haircut how to cut
I want to get an ivy league haircut as it's tidy and easy to style. I notice sometimes barbers confuse the crew cut for an ivy league cut so what should I tell the barber when i go in to make sure he knows what to do? Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-16-2013, 06:07 PM
RE: Ivy league haircut how to cut
Most barbers should know how to do a proper Ivy League haircut, the difference between the Ivy League and the Crew Cut is in the length, and the taper of the Ivy League is usually semi short and ended with the clipper. Ask for an inch on the top of the head, slightly longer on the front of the head (done evenly) and to have the sides and back tapered semi short.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-16-2013, 06:52 PM
Thanks. That makes sense and i will tell him.
I'm changing barbers and I think this one is good but lets see how it goes.
Any pictures i could print out of a good ivy league haircut?
06-16-2013, 06:58 PM
The Ivy League haircut is one neat men's cut; totally go for it, and it isn't that hard to do. Pretty much the description fitted by TMHF is what you should be asking your barber for.

Some pictures of soem tight Ivy League haircuts (attached).

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
06-17-2013, 01:29 PM
thanks again it really helps, i don't want the back to be too long from the front so I will be telling the barber that.
06-17-2013, 03:49 PM
If your hairdresser can do a nice and tight Ivy League haircut then I suggest you stick with him for future haircuts as the TMHF mentioned not all hds can get it right.

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
03-19-2014, 01:42 PM
I was going to post in the new Gerard Pique haircut thread (Ivy League haircut) and link back to this thread for more on the Ivy League when I noticed we didn't have full images of the haircut outside of those attached by Curly Hair in his post. So I am going to post below a couple of pictures of the Ivy League cut.

For what is worth, Matt Damon together with Gerard Pique have both rocked this particular mens haircut, and they're proof that the Ivy league need not be limited to men from conservative backgrounds or who work in very formal settings.

[Image: 414px-Damon_cropped.jpg]

[Image: 419px-MattDamonBU.jpg]

[Image: Joe_Flacco_%28cropped%29.jpg]

Remember that the taper cut in the Ivy League can finish off at different short lengths, so, if you want to get this haircut, just tell your barber or hairdresser an approximation of how short you want the hair to be cut/clipped at the hairline (and remember that the "hairline" isn't just the nape's hairline but also the hairline across the ears, sideburns and lower temples!). You can also instead ask your barber/hairdresser for a suggestion of how short the taper should be finished since both barbers and hairdressers tend to be pretty good at eyeballing how a haircut will look on you without having to first cut or style the hair.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-14-2014, 04:02 PM
Curious to know what products do you recommend for the Ivy League. I usually tell my clients a casual styling wax or light hair gel will work fine. If the client wants the hair very short almost like in a crew cut with longer front... then gel or wax are perfect.

If the client instead wants it longer on the top almost like a regular long taper haircut then I would recommend a water soluble pomade. But then the Ivy League loses its appeal imo you want the clean and fresh look with the short tapered hair and the longer the hair, the more styling it requires.

Opinions on hair products for the Ivy League?
05-15-2014, 02:25 PM
Bradley, I believe in Europe you folks think of the Ivy League haircut as that being longer. In the United States, the Ivy League is a short haircut with the tapered top and is supposed to keep that clean and sharp look. There should not be sufficient length on the top for the US version of the Ivy League so as to cause a mess of a hairstyle. As such, you are correct in that this haircut looks its best at short lengths of an inch to two inches (at its maximum length, which is the forelock).

In terms of hair products for the Ivy League haircut, a casual-styling hair wax is more than enough to control the hair. A hair gel will also do the work but more of a firm hair gel instead of the hardcore-shaping gels that are so trendy these days.

For the Ivy League, I would suggest this hair wax (excellent for casual styling with good hold) and this hair gel (form hold and easy to wash) as hairstyling products to buy and use to style the haircut. Both these products are great at styling the hair in a clean fashion, and they keep the styling as convenient as possible since, after all, the Ivy League is a low-maintenance men's haircut Smile

You are right in the "product type" selection you have mentioned and shows good intuition as a barber. Furthermore you suggestion of a pomade for longer hair is a good one although, as I have said above, this would not be something for an Ivy League in the USA since the hair would be kept too short for any comprehensive styling of the hair. However, if you're getting clients asking you for the Ivy League with longer hair, then, yes, go with a pomade. I would go with this water based one from Suavecito to keep the hairstyle clean and shapely.

Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Undercut Hairstyle: How to, Haircut, Pictures, Products - OFFICIAL thread Barber 200 626,628 10-07-2016 08:51 PM
Last Post: shenefbs
  Jake Gyllenhaal Prisoners haircut advice Alex 36 252,873 08-07-2016 09:54 AM
Last Post: AlexVI
  Mohawk hairstyle and haircut guide - How to and Pictures TheMensHairForum 16 24,247 07-31-2016 11:40 PM
Last Post: Kiddfresh
  2 Step Undercut Hairstyle: Official Haircut Guide with Pictures and How-To Advice Jurgen 6 112,383 07-21-2016 08:44 PM
Last Post: Dwight