Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Itchy scalp with bumps and dandruff, is this a scalp condition?
06-16-2015, 09:39 PM
Itchy scalp with bumps and dandruff, is this a scalp condition?
My scalp is pretty itchy and has a few pimple like bumps all over it. I shampoo every 3rd day with a tea tree oil shampoo, and the itching usually subsides the day I shampoo, but picks up again the second and third day. I also do have some dandruff, which I have some Nizoral shampoo for but haven't used it yet. Maybe that'll help? Does this sound like a scalp condition? Also if it is a scalp condition, would it be possible that this is what is causing me to shed a lot of hairs? Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-17-2015, 08:08 AM
If your dandruff is getting heavy, then use the Nizoral shampoo. Bumps are normal.
The small pimple-like bumps are normal, and most people have them. The bumps are from defective hair follicles and ingrown hairs, which are mostly genetic. However, they can get bigger and as big as a marble, thus surgery is usually recommended if the bumps get so big that they annoy you (they usually will not get any bigger and won't affect your aesthetics at all). The surgery is very minor and only done if you don't want to keep feeling the bump every time you style your hair. Again, it's nothing serious and unrelated to your shampooing.

If the bumps worry you, then see a dermatologist, although I believe you already saw one, correct? As said, lots of people have these bumps on their scalp ranging in different sizes, I know I have at least two small bumps on my scalp that have remained there for months. My lady has 4 of them as she has curly hair, and from my experience, curly haired men and women seem to be more prone to getting these bumps. I believe that this is due to the way in which curly hair grows as it curls around itself, which can lead to ingrown hair.

If your current anti dandruff shampoo isn't giving you the best dandruff-fighting results, then it's time to use the Nizoral shampoo. As you probably know from reading our other men's dandruff product discussions, dandruff tends to be cyclic in nature, meaning that it will be very light for months at a time and then it will become heavy for months at a time. That's why it's very useful to have a regular anti dandruff shampoo (to use for those lighter periods) and a stronger anti dandruff shampoo (to use for those heavy periods).

What I recommend is that you follow the same weekly schedule that I've outlined in this anti dandruff shampoo use schedule as it blends the use of the lighter dandruff shampoo with the stronger dandruff shampoo (the schedule is further down in the linked post).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-17-2015, 09:06 AM
RE: Itchy scalp with bumps and dandruff, is this a scalp condition?
(06-17-2015 08:08 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  The small pimple-like bumps are normal, and most people have them. The bumps are from defective hair follicles and ingrown hairs, which are mostly genetic. However, they can get bigger and as big as a marble, thus surgery is usually recommended if the bumps get so big that they annoy you (they usually will not get any bigger and won't affect your aesthetics at all). The surgery is very minor and only done if you don't want to keep feeling the bump every time you style your hair. Again, it's nothing serious and unrelated to your shampooing.

If the bumps worry you, then see a dermatologist, although I believe you already saw one, correct? As said, lots of people have these bumps on their scalp ranging in different sizes, I know I have at least two small bumps on my scalp that have remained there for months. My lady has 4 of them as she has curly hair, and from my experience, curly haired men and women seem to be more prone to getting these bumps. I believe that this is due to the way in which curly hair grows as it curls around itself, which can lead to ingrown hair.

If your current anti dandruff shampoo isn't giving you the best dandruff-fighting results, then it's time to use the Nizoral shampoo. As you probably know from reading our other men's dandruff product discussions, dandruff tends to be cyclic in nature, meaning that it will be very light for months at a time and then it will become heavy for months at a time. That's why it's very useful to have a regular anti dandruff shampoo (to use for those lighter periods) and a stronger anti dandruff shampoo (to use for those heavy periods).

What I recommend is that you follow the same weekly schedule that I've outlined in this anti dandruff shampoo use schedule as it blends the use of the lighter dandruff shampoo with the stronger dandruff shampoo (the schedule is further down in the linked post).

Thanks for the very informative reply. I was worried I might have something like seborrheic dermatitis or folliculitis but I'm happy to know it's something normal.

I did see a dermatologist about my hair shedding and dandruff. He very briefly checked out my hair and just told me I don't have MPB and that the hair shedding I have was normal (which I disagree as I'm shedding a LOT of hair). However, he said could prescribe me some Nizoral shampoo if I feel like my dandruff/hair shedding is getting out of control. I might have to see another dermatologist, as I don't feel like he really took a good look at my hair or my scalp. The bumps themselves don't worry me, it's the itchiness and dandruff that bothers me the most (and also the hair shedding if they are related).

I'm currently using the Paul Mitchell Tea Trea Oil Shampoo which I don't believe has Coal Tar or Zinc Pyrithione, and I don't believe the Nizoral shampoo has those ingredients either. Would it still be ok to use that schedule using Nizoral and this tea tree oil shampoo, or should I get the two shampoos recommended in that post instead?

Thanks again.
06-23-2015, 12:35 PM
Hey dude take my words as a fellow dude on his quest to have epic hair. I'm not a barber like the other posted who replied to you. I've been growing my hair long for 3 years and I have learned so much from places like this forum, other websites, books and my own experience, so I consider myself as someone who knows a good amount of stuff on male hair care.

I also have those small bumps on my scalp. Not a lot of them but maybe 2 or 3 per area of the scalp. They're small bumps almost like an oversized pimple but they're hard. I asked my doctor once about it and he said the same as the reply you got from the other poster above. It's a hair stands that has grown inside the scalp and hasn't come out so the body's response is to solidify the hair follicle so the hair doesn't grow any more and cause damage. It was something like that that my doctor explained. Similar to how you get calcification on the ears of rugby players or the knuckles of boxers.

I also have dandruff and I find that the coal tar shampoo works when my itching and dandruff gets out of control. Other times I use either the Head and Shoulders shampoo or a tea tree oil like you're using. I prefer the tea tree oil as it's more natural and tea tree oil is anti fungal which is why it helps with dandruff. Tea tree oil is also great for the skin if you have inflammation of the follicles like dermatitis caused by a fungus.

I have used the combination of the Neutrogena shampoo, the one with coal tar, and tea tree oil shampoo or a Head and Shoulders shampoo and it has worked wonders for me. In my case it is dandruff that I have and it was diagnosed by a dermatologist. Funny thing is that he also offered the Nizoral keto shampoo and I bought it but when I read that it behaves like the oestrogen hormone I said to hell with that lol! so for me coal tar once or twice a week and on the rest of days I would use either a tea tree oil shampoo or a regular Head and Shoulders shampoo. Best results were with the coal tar shampoo and the tea tree oil shampoo so it's basically a shampoo setup that you can also follow since you already have the tea tree oil shampoo.

Like I said I'm not a barber nor am I a doctor. Dandruff is really easy to deal with and I only went to a dermatologist in case the itching and snowflakes were from something serious and not dandruff. He told me that dermatitis on the scalp or folliculitis on the scalp is rare. It happens more on the neck back and limbs or so I remember him saying. For scalp issues, it's dandruff by far the biggest pain in the... you know where!
06-23-2015, 02:15 PM
(06-23-2015 12:35 PM)Mane Man Wrote:  Hey dude take my words as a fellow dude on his quest to have epic hair. I'm not a barber like the other posted who replied to you. I've been growing my hair long for 3 years and I have learned so much from places like this forum, other websites, books and my own experience, so I consider myself as someone who knows a good amount of stuff on male hair care.

I also have those small bumps on my scalp. Not a lot of them but maybe 2 or 3 per area of the scalp. They're small bumps almost like an oversized pimple but they're hard. I asked my doctor once about it and he said the same as the reply you got from the other poster above. It's a hair stands that has grown inside the scalp and hasn't come out so the body's response is to solidify the hair follicle so the hair doesn't grow any more and cause damage. It was something like that that my doctor explained. Similar to how you get calcification on the ears of rugby players or the knuckles of boxers.

I also have dandruff and I find that the coal tar shampoo works when my itching and dandruff gets out of control. Other times I use either the Head and Shoulders shampoo or a tea tree oil like you're using. I prefer the tea tree oil as it's more natural and tea tree oil is anti fungal which is why it helps with dandruff. Tea tree oil is also great for the skin if you have inflammation of the follicles like dermatitis caused by a fungus.

I have used the combination of the Neutrogena shampoo, the one with coal tar, and tea tree oil shampoo or a Head and Shoulders shampoo and it has worked wonders for me. In my case it is dandruff that I have and it was diagnosed by a dermatologist. Funny thing is that he also offered the Nizoral keto shampoo and I bought it but when I read that it behaves like the oestrogen hormone I said to hell with that lol! so for me coal tar once or twice a week and on the rest of days I would use either a tea tree oil shampoo or a regular Head and Shoulders shampoo. Best results were with the coal tar shampoo and the tea tree oil shampoo so it's basically a shampoo setup that you can also follow since you already have the tea tree oil shampoo.

Like I said I'm not a barber nor am I a doctor. Dandruff is really easy to deal with and I only went to a dermatologist in case the itching and snowflakes were from something serious and not dandruff. He told me that dermatitis on the scalp or folliculitis on the scalp is rare. It happens more on the neck back and limbs or so I remember him saying. For scalp issues, it's dandruff by far the biggest pain in the... you know where!

Thanks for the reply. The bumps you describe are similar to what I have but I have more than just 2 or 3. Probably around 5-10. I've also read a lot on coal tar shampoo and how effective it is but some people have said it leaves a bad smell in your hair. Have you experienced anything like that? Also were you shedding a lot when your dandruff was bad?
07-27-2015, 04:53 PM
(06-23-2015 02:15 PM)GoodHair Wrote:  Thanks for the reply. The bumps you describe are similar to what I have but I have more than just 2 or 3. Probably around 5-10. I've also read a lot on coal tar shampoo and how effective it is but some people have said it leaves a bad smell in your hair. Have you experienced anything like that? Also were you shedding a lot when your dandruff was bad?

How old are you? This sounds like a condition known as Pityriasis Simplex (Dry Dandruff). This is a common problem and one person in two suffers from it sometime in life. Apart from the embarrassing site of dandruff on the clothes, pityriasis also causes itching. There are two things that can cause dry pityriasis. The most frequent is a parasite known as "bottle bacillus" the other is "pityrosporum ovale". These need to be treated properly.
11-09-2015, 04:23 AM
It may be from some fungal infection. I also had something before months ago. I used ketoconazol products. And some drugs which prescribed my doctor. Now its finished. You should consult with a doctor. Nothing to worry about.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to treat and cure dandruff Stevens 30 15,699 09-27-2016 07:09 PM
Last Post: rvandint
  Is it okay to condition every day? xreyuk 1 734 11-27-2015 08:55 PM
Last Post: thebarberblog
  Oily scalp buildup: Dandruff, Sebum or Product residue? WesleyGarrett 0 630 09-21-2015 05:40 PM
Last Post: WesleyGarrett
  Recommend dry scalp home remedies? Alex 4 1,723 01-30-2015 02:17 PM
Last Post: 3rdto1st