Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this a man bun hairstyle, samurai hair style or ponytail?
05-04-2015, 02:16 PM
Is this a man bun hairstyle, samurai hair style or ponytail?
Hello there! I wanted to ask you folks if you could tell me what hairstyle is in this picture, is it a man bun hairstyle, a samurai hair style or just a short ponytail?

I ask because there is no bun that is tied but my friend just calls it a man bun. I'm pretty sure that's just a short ponytail but if there's one thing that I have learned upon reading and learning from this forum, that would be that most people who don't bother to read up about what they're trying to do on their head talk a lot of nonsense haha

So anyone knows if it's some kind of man bun or samurai hairstyle? Thanks.

[Image: UlEsOdo.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2015, 10:41 AM
RE: Is this a man bun hairstyle, samurai hair style or ponytail?
Top knot i guess
05-08-2015, 07:18 AM
RE: Is this a man bun hairstyle, samurai hair style or ponytail?
That hairstyle in the picture is just a short ponytail or Samurai hairstyle. Some people do call it that short ponytail a topknot. A top knot is more of a very small bun which recreates the vision of a knot on the head. You achieve a very small bun on the vertex by only using the hair on the top of the head to tie the bun.

With a man bun you usually use all the hair on the head but with the top knot hairstyle the hair on the top is the only hair to be used which gives a very small bun and hence the name for this hairstyle as a 'top knot'.

The topknot word has spread fast and it can mean different tied hairstyle shapes but it will either be what I've described above as a very small bun or a very short ponytail as you've posted above in the picture for a Samurai hairstyle. The actual naming of the hairstyle only matters when you're going to the barbershop and getting a haircut. But in that instance you can simply tell your barber that you want your hair to be styled in a bun or just a short ponytail.

Given your description your barber will then give you a haircut for a top knot or a Samurai hairstyle. Up to you and it's why you should always bring pictures to the barbershop to make our work easier in understand what you want. And I say 'our' work since I'm a barber and I can guarantee you that the best haircuts and hairstyles in a barbershop are when the customer uses a visual reference to give us. We have our own style book but not all barbers do so always bring a printed picture or the picture in your phone to the barbershop.

Cheers!
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What hairstyle suits best! hadiawan 0 73 12-01-2016 12:45 AM
Last Post: hadiawan
  New style wanted Snow23 0 163 10-24-2016 07:54 PM
Last Post: Snow23
  Medium slickback hairstyle Gias98 0 288 10-20-2016 12:50 PM
Last Post: Gias98
  Help identify my hair for a new hairstyle gabriel777 2 311 10-18-2016 09:34 AM
Last Post: gabriel777