Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is my hair damaged? How to diagnose damaged hair for men?
10-27-2014, 07:29 AM
Is my hair damaged? How to diagnose damaged hair for men?
I would like to treat my damaged hair but it got me thinking on how to confirm that the hair is damaged. Any method on how to diagnose damaged hair? My reading suggests its the lifeless state of hair, read this in the forum and the book. This is why I am pretty sure my hair is damaged and I should be taking action now that my hair loss is under control.

I preferred to open a new thread for my other question so we can have some good replies for methods on how to diagnose damaged hair. I'm sure this is something that other guys would also benefit from knowing Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-27-2014, 10:05 AM
RE: Is my hair damaged? How to diagnose damaged hair for men?
The first thing you need to do to diagnose the problem yourself is ask yourself the following questions:

Is my hair dull and lifeless?

Does my hair fall out or break off easily?

Does my hair feel mushy or really dry?

Does my hair look frizzy?

Does my hair tangle easily?

If you can answer yes to any of these questions then you probably have damaged hair. If you suspect your hair is damaged, then carry out these simple tests on your hair.

Node test

Check your hair strands for tiny knots (nodes), if you find one knot on the hair strand, then that hair itself is damaged. If you find many on a particular area of the scalp, then all that hair is damaged. This damage is the least serious though.

Protein Test (Dry):

Before you get in the shower, take a few strands of hair (that have shed) and pull on each end, if it stretches more than one half time longer than it's normal length then you need protein. If it breaks easily it needs moisture. If you don't have any shed hairs you can pick, then simply cut three or four hair strands and do this test and the wet protein test below. Don't worry, three or four cut hair strands won't affect your hairstyle or haircut Smile

Protein test (Wet):

Now get your hair wet in the shower and test new strands of hair, preferably hair strands that were shed and are removed as you wet/shampoo/condition your hair. If they stretch more than two times it's normal length your hair is missing protein. Now after you get out comb your hair, if the comb gets stuck easily and your hair tangles a lot, then you are probably missing protein.

Carry on by letting your hair air dry. When it's dry take your some strands of hair between the tips of your finger nails and firmly scratch it all the way from the root to the ends, if you see white powdery, creamy or ball like residue on your fingers, you probably have product build up.

Lastly, look at your hair if it seems really frizzy all the time, dull and lifeless, then you most likely have product build up, exploded cuticle, breakage or split ends.

All these tips will help you to know if your hair is damaged.
11-02-2014, 10:50 PM
This. This is useful.
11-25-2014, 05:05 AM
I agree with what Sunset has posted. In October 2013 after post op radiotherapy my hair became very brittle, lost it's lustre and was dull and lifeless. My hairdresser told me that what my hair needed was tlc! She recommended that I purchase Pro Naturals Hair Repair System. I did and I followed their 4-step regime for a couple of months but now I only use their 4-step regime for one week in every six but I do use the leave in Argan Oil once a week after washing my hair with my basic tea tree shampoo. Now my hair is shiny, no longer brittle and is very healthy looking.
12-24-2014, 08:43 PM
What can be done to repair the hair?
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to use hair trimmer for a hair thinning haircut? Lorenn 3 1,457 06-02-2016 02:35 PM
Last Post: claus
  Differences Between Thick Hair and Thin Hair? GoodHair 10 30,392 12-18-2015 08:30 AM
Last Post: Fantast1c
  How to turn Curly hair into Straight hair? Straightening tips joserijo 1 1,245 09-25-2015 11:30 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
Lightbulb Hair coloring tips for men to get and dye cool hair colors! Mane Man 1 1,228 07-05-2015 01:17 PM
Last Post: ElenaTheBarber