Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it ok to show your barber a reference picture?
06-08-2014, 12:26 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2014 12:29 PM by marth.)
Smile Is it ok to show your barber a reference picture?
For awhile now, I have been wanting to try the classic pompadour with my hair, and since I have a long head I know that it would seem ok. I know there is a post for slicking your hair back, but I couldn't seem to like the variable ways the hairstyle was pulled off (eg, only the top being slicked back and sides being tapered or shaved). However, I recall seeing a picture on here of Zack Morris from Saved By The Bell (I can't link the picture yet.) and I really like the hairstyle in the picture because there wasn't a taper or shaved sides--the hair is tight on the sides and perfectly combed to the back from the front, it's basically a classic pompadour. I also really like it because it's combed in a way where the sides of top don't lean over onto the side (I terrible at explaining pictures...), so it looks uniform, sturdy, and clean.

Also, I can't link the picture since I don't have 50 posts, but if anyone could find a haircut picture identical to it, please share them! I don't know how I would describe how the back is cut, and I don't want the quality of the picture to make it too hard to tell how long the hair is. But yeah, in the end is it ok to show your barber a reference picture when you go in to get a hair cut?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2014, 09:46 AM
RE: Is it ok to show your barber a reference picture?
Hi, yes of course, the best way to get a good haircut from a barber or hairdresser is to show him a picture. A barber can easily know what it is that he/she has to do in order to emulate that haircut that you want. in fact, if this is time first time you are getting a particular haircut, then it is in your interest to be as detailed as possible, including the use of pictures as references, so that your barber not only gives you the best haircut possible but also remembers the patterns to follow for the next time you are back in the barbershop or salon and want the same cut.

What we usually recommend is to print out the picture or take a magazine if you saw the picture in a magazine. You can go as far as to take your cellphone, tablet or laptop with you if you can't print the picture or want your barber to see more. Likewise, you can show him the instructions o the many haircuts and hairstyles that we have in this forum as sometimes barbers will not be so sure on how to perform a haircut just from its name. Some of the men's haircuts include the 2 Step Undercut or Brush Up hairstyle which we have popularized in this forum and for which some barbers may not know the technique or shape of the cut, or may call it as something else, especially in countries where US English is not used.

I have now allowed your embedding of pictures, so feel free to embed the pictures of Zack Morris hair that you have seen. I agree with you that Zack Morris in "Saved By The Bell" had some great hair, and, without a doubt, his hair played a tremendous part in giving him his overall handsome looks and made him a teenage heartthrob. In fact, if you go through the many sitcoms over the decades, all the teenage heartthrobs had great hair because hair is so easily visible that it can completely change the look (for good) of a male, and hence hwy we have gone as far as to build a big community and forum in here so that we can address this topic in full!

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-09-2014, 11:44 AM
(06-09-2014 09:46 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Hi, yes of course, the best way to get a good haircut from a barber or hairdresser is to show him a picture. A barber can easily know what it is that he/she has to do in order to emulate that haircut that you want. in fact, if this is time first time you are getting a particular haircut, then it is in your interest to be as detailed as possible, including the use of pictures as references, so that your barber not only gives you the best haircut possible but also remembers the patterns to follow for the next time you are back in the barbershop or salon and want the same cut.

What we usually recommend is to print out the picture or take a magazine if you saw the picture in a magazine. You can go as far as to take your cellphone, tablet or laptop with you if you can't print the picture or want your barber to see more. Likewise, you can show him the instructions o the many haircuts and hairstyles that we have in this forum as sometimes barbers will not be so sure on how to perform a haircut just from its name. Some of the men's haircuts include the 2 Step Undercut or Brush Up hairstyle which we have popularized in this forum and for which some barbers may not know the technique or shape of the cut, or may call it as something else, especially in countries where US English is not used.

I have now allowed your embedding of pictures, so feel free to embed the pictures of Zack Morris hair that you have seen. I agree with you that Zack Morris in "Saved By The Bell" had some great hair, and, without a doubt, his hair played a tremendous part in giving him his overall handsome looks and made him a teenage heartthrob. In fact, if you go through the many sitcoms over the decades, all the teenage heartthrobs had great hair because hair is so easily visible that it can completely change the look (for good) of a male, and hence hwy we have gone as far as to build a big community and forum in here so that we can address this topic in full!

Sounds good! And yes, I remember watching the show in the mornings before going off to school and being envious of the character for having such awesome hair. I would always go to school that day with such a bland hairstyle, I realized it's high time I change up my looks.

Also, here is the picture I was talking about:
[Image: 1292900492-tumblr_ldp1n2vucm1qc46e7.jpg]

The sides are completely slicked back and stick to the head, while the top works the same way. Notice how it's different than his usual hair cut;
[Image: p183938_n43365_cc_v4_aa.jpg]
in that the hair doesn't seem to be wavy and flow out towards the sides on the top. That's why I really like how it looks like in the first picture because of it's stiff hold.
06-12-2014, 03:17 PM
The first picture that you mention is what we call a modern slick back where the hair is slicked back with volume and without the flattened shape of the more classic styles.

The modern slick back is very easy to do (check the guide in the link I posted some lines above), all you do is simply slick you hair back with the comb for the first back slicking motion (your first attempt), and then you continue slicking back the hair with the fingers for more attempts (always starting from the forehead's hairline towards the back of the head). As you use your fingers to slick the hair back, point a hair dryer to your hair so you can acquire some "clean" volume that looks stylish. In essence you will be slicking your hair with the fingers of one hand (as if forming a comb) and you will be using your other hand to point the hair dryer towards the hair.

It's very easy to do if you have the right hair products, which only are a good male comb (for the first slick back so the hair is set in a combed back position), a good water-based pomade and a good hair dryer. Just practice the motion that I have described in the second paragraph above and you will get the hang of it very fast Smile

As for which good hair products to buy for the modern slicked back hair of Zack Morris (and which you want to get as per my instructions above), I highly recommend that you get this men's comb, this pomade and this hair dryer. All 3 products are of excellent quality and the hair dryer especially will dry your hair with a technology that avoids frizzy hairs (you get frizzy hair with regular dryers, not with this one). All 3 products can also be used for many other hairstyles, so do certainly get those 3 products as you will be needing them anyway in the near future (especially if you follow all of our hairstyle guides Wink)

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-15-2014, 12:36 AM
(06-12-2014 03:17 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  The first picture that you mention is what we call a modern slick back where the hair is slicked back with volume and without the flattened shape of the more classic styles.

The modern slick back is very easy to do (check the guide in the link I posted some lines above), all you do is simply slick you hair back with the comb for the first back slicking motion (your first attempt), and then you continue slicking back the hair with the fingers for more attempts (always starting from the forehead's hairline towards the back of the head). As you use your fingers to slick the hair back, point a hair dryer to your hair so you can acquire some "clean" volume that looks stylish. In essence you will be slicking your hair with the fingers of one hand (as if forming a comb) and you will be using your other hand to point the hair dryer towards the hair.

It's very easy to do if you have the right hair products, which only are a good male comb (for the first slick back so the hair is set in a combed back position), a good water-based pomade and a good hair dryer. Just practice the motion that I have described in the second paragraph above and you will get the hang of it very fast Smile

As for which good hair products to buy for the modern slicked back hair of Zack Morris (and which you want to get as per my instructions above), I highly recommend that you get this men's comb, this pomade and this hair dryer. All 3 products are of excellent quality and the hair dryer especially will dry your hair with a technology that avoids frizzy hairs (you get frizzy hair with regular dryers, not with this one). All 3 products can also be used for many other hairstyles, so do certainly get those 3 products as you will be needing them anyway in the near future (especially if you follow all of our hairstyle guides Wink)

Gotcha! Thank you so much for the help! All the information is really helpful!
06-20-2014, 11:48 AM
Of course man most of them want to see photos it's easier for them.
06-21-2014, 07:42 AM
Its okey to bring a picture, but do you do when they actually say: You cant get that haircut, because of this and this while here evryone says you can. I am just adding more to this, since it can happen to anyone.

I`ve been there, i said okey and took an another barber. I think this is the best thing you can do.
08-22-2014, 12:46 AM
I thought about showing a picture to the barber but thought it might be too awkward and weird, maybe next time i'll show them a pic.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How do I explain this haircut to my barber? zackras 0 601 08-19-2016 04:31 PM
Last Post: zackras
  What Is This Hairstyle Called? [PICTURE] virtual_28_havoc 0 764 06-23-2016 04:49 PM
Last Post: virtual_28_havoc
  What side part hairstyle with short hair is this? Picture lukepez 1 613 05-02-2016 04:49 PM
Last Post: Refrusloi
  What should I ask the barber for this haircut 86negsirhC 0 594 03-12-2016 03:38 PM
Last Post: 86negsirhC