Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it guaranteed that straight hair will curl/wave at longer lengths?
03-31-2015, 12:32 AM
Is it guaranteed that straight hair will curl/wave at longer lengths?
Hi!

I have been wondering this for awhile now. Being a straight-haired guy, sometimes I look at my hair and think it is the flattest, most uniformed and most boring-looking hair ever. Currently, I am growing out my hair, and I have seen people (even some friends of mine) that while having a short hairstyle, it looks straight, but once they grow it out to neck/shoulder length, it starts to change shapes. One had two 'balls' of curly ends (apologies if I offend anyone by describing it like this) while the other had the back and sides wavy (like popping out to the sides instead of being flat to the head).

[Image: b4fe36dcf4304e1e67a2f6afe6cfa3a1.jpg][Image: short-straight-hairstyles2.jpg]

'Balls' of curly ends and back and sides 'popped out'

So is a 100% chance that straight-haired dudes will see a change in their hair shapes or is it specific to straight hair types (in other words, fine or thick)? Quite honestly, I can't see my fine and thin hair curling up or even becoming wavy at the least when it becomes neck/shoulder length.

[Image: 600-korean-men-hairstyle-2014_1440x900.jpg]

Hope it doesn't turn out like this! Sad
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-31-2015, 07:26 AM
Straight hair in men can become slightly wavy from bad hair care.
Usually wavy hair will look like straight hair at short lengths. This is because the angle of the curved structure of wavy hair tends to be minimal. I would say that up to 3 inchs of hair length, straight hair and wavy hair are almost impossible to discern; this is something that has also been documented in The Men's Hair Book.

In reality, your friends could have easily been wavy-haired guys, and you just mistook them for straight-haired men.

Another thing to mention is that, as hair grows longer, it takes a beating from combing, pulling it, styling it and anything that has to do with using heat-emitting products (e.g. hair dryers or hair straighteners). Such handling (i.e. beating) will cause straight hair to bend a little. This particular reason is yet another proof of why hair care is so important for men, much more important than hair styling.

If you have straight hair (i.e. confirmed) and you want it to maintain its straight-haired structure, then take good care of your mane. Use a conditioner smartly and avoid brushing your hair as well as pulling it. If tying you long hair, do not put the hair into a bun, as the hair that is tied as a bun will be rounded in shape.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-31-2015, 04:57 PM
RE: Is it guaranteed that straight hair will curl/wave at longer lengths?
(03-31-2015 07:26 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  In reality, your friends could have easily been wavy-haired guys, and you just mistook them for straight-haired men.

Very true, never thought of it that way! Thanks for the answer (as well as the conditioner link). Smile
04-26-2015, 10:29 PM
RE: Is it guaranteed that straight hair will curl/wave at longer lengths?
Wow the first guy has amazing hair!
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New hairstyle for straight hair - Quiff or long hairstyles? Wayne Baskin 0 279 09-23-2016 09:22 AM
Last Post: Wayne Baskin
  Hair Too Straight and Thick! Want Natural Combover Hairstyle StraightHairProblems 0 387 09-06-2016 03:15 AM
Last Post: StraightHairProblems
  How to style fluffy curly hair into soft straight hairstyle MustafaZorrok 0 389 06-28-2016 03:25 PM
Last Post: MustafaZorrok
  Problem With Straight,Thick Black Hair Sertinjo 0 855 03-20-2016 03:02 PM
Last Post: Sertinjo