Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is a bowl cut like the undercut hairstyle and disconnected haircut?
12-15-2014, 03:05 PM
Is a bowl cut like the undercut hairstyle and disconnected haircut?
I remember reading somewhere that the bowl cut was a disconnected haircut like the undercut hairstyle. Is this true and what is the difference between a bowl haircut and the undercut haircut?

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-17-2014, 08:26 AM
Definition for the Undercut hairstyle, bowl cut and disconnected haircut.
Steve, the Undercut and the bowl haircut have a similar goal but are somewhat different. The goal is to disconnect the hair on the top of the head with the hair on the sides and back of the head.

With the Undercut, the disconnected haircut is done by clipping the hair on the sides and back of the head with one single clipper length. The Undercut also makes a very rapid taper at the edges (where the disconnect occurs) so that the edge between the hair on the top of the head and sides/back of the head is not to contrasting.

On the other hand, the bow cut aims for a contrasting disconnect. The hairstyle of the bowl cut is also a form of mop top or fringe hairstyle where the hair is allowed to be at a length where it hangs down under its own weight. Hence the bowl haircut is a classic hairstyle for kids with straight hair and wavy hair, and it was a popular hairstyle in the 1970s to 1990s with children. The length on the top of the head for the bowl cut is a medium length to long length (anywhere from 4 to 8 inches of hair length).

The disconnected haircut has the same contrasting edge between the top of the head and the sides and back of the head. However, the hair is usually cut shorter so it's styled up in a Brush Up hairstyle or messy hairstyle. The disconnected hairstyle is thus a volume hairstyle and one that is very popular presently together with the slicked back hairstyle form for the Undercut.

In summary, the difference between the Undercut and the bowl cut is that the Undercut is a smooth one-length clipper haircut while the bowl cut is a sharp-edge flat hairstyle. The both share the short length of the sides and back of the head. I will post some pictures in my next post below.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
12-17-2014, 08:47 AM
Pictures of bowl haircut and undercut hairstyle.
Bowl Cut:

Here are some pictures of the bowl cut. Notice how the hair lays flat. The bowl cut is a common haircut for children. A bowl cut for men is sometimes combined with a middle part hairstyle where the hair on the front stays at eyebrow level. Edward Furlong in Terminator has a bowl haircut as so does a young Leonardo DiCaprio as examples of the popularity of this 90s haircut!

[Image: c1dc14b9bf705577480bf3cdcbe0e314.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_n4geziwNe01qkfbu1o1_500.jpg]

[Image: enhanced-buzz-7933-1360719145-6.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mfv88kHxR81qkfbu1o1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_lolz3voaNn1qk6nf6.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mayymxmMcn1qkfbu1o1_400.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_lolzgfIJNa1qk6nf6.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_lolzqopO821qk6nf6.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_lom0l57Qun1qk6nf6.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_ngagipwNj51thr7ppo1_500.jpg]

Undercut:

On the other hand, the Undercut goes for a shorter length on the sides and back of the head and the hairstyle for the Undercut involves anything but a flat style. The disconnection in the Undercut hairstyle is usually smooth which is unlike a bowl haircut.

[Image: aeb49b6fbe394b4e7ca1a0a88036b0f4.jpg]

[Image: 920d22c61368b2fb97e7e9a8e3ff1024.jpg]

[Image: article-2551536-1B30BAC600000578-951_634x799.jpg]

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
12-30-2014, 09:22 AM
RE: Is a bowl cut like the undercut hairstyle and disconnected haircut?
Hello mate like admin posted. The bowl haircut is with the hair flat like a mushroom because of the edges which remain sharp. Undercut is similar but for the undercut we keep it to a low hair clipper length and the hair is not styled with the mushroom effect.
Here's a bowl haircut.

[Image: 1169256_1424473624443215_1309179976_n.jpg]
01-01-2015, 02:45 PM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2015 02:45 PM by Vladimir.)
Actually your explanation makes a lot of sense (admin). I also agree in that the bowl haircut was a nineties haircut! Big Grin

(12-17-2014 08:47 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Bowl Cut:

Here are some pictures of the bowl cut. Notice how the hair lays flat. The bowl cut is a common haircut for children. A bowl cut for men is sometimes combined with a middle part hairstyle where the hair on the front stays at eyebrow level. Edward Furlong in Terminator has a bowl haircut as so does a young Leonardo DiCaprio as examples of the popularity of this 90s haircut!

Undercut:

On the other hand, the Undercut goes for a shorter length on the sides and back of the head and the hairstyle for the Undercut involves anything but a flat style. The disconnection in the Undercut hairstyle is usually smooth which is unlike a bowl haircut.
02-15-2015, 03:52 PM
The trendy bowl cut!
02-17-2015, 07:17 AM
Here's another picture which pretty that summarises the bowl cut as the mushroom haircut. No fading, no quick taper, no smooth lines, just clip and go.

The bowl haircut with mullet hairstyle. Ladies and gentlemen Big Grin

[Image: 7c3c85540bd6c42e8a2945cad97bb907.jpg]
02-17-2015, 03:42 PM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2015 03:42 PM by Alex.)
(12-17-2014 08:47 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  [Image: tumblr_n4geziwNe01qkfbu1o1_500.jpg]

I think I now know what image I will be using as my next avatar. That perfect bowlcut... not even the best ceramic artisans can shape the bowl form like the mother of this guy. His mother must have used one of those expensive and freaking big bowls too... none of those breakfast cereal bowls. Then again perfection requires sacrifices in all aspects of life.

(02-17-2015 07:17 AM)Bradley Wrote:  Here's another picture which pretty that summarises the bowl cut as the mushroom haircut. No fading, no quick taper, no smooth lines, just clip and go.

The bowl haircut with mullet hairstyle. Ladies and gentlemen Big Grin

[Image: 7c3c85540bd6c42e8a2945cad97bb907.jpg]

LOL dude i think you should start changing your barbershop clientele. Letting in too many weirdos Big Grin

ON another note i have to agree with those bowl cuts being so nineties hairstyle. At some point the bowlcut was like the undercut hairstyle in 2012. Everywhere!
07-18-2016, 04:40 PM
Photo RE: Is a bowl cut like the undercut hairstyle and disconnected haircut?
I know this post is ancient, but I saw it and thought I'd post to help anyone who comes across this... If i can haha.

The undercut is more of what the haircut features than the actual name of the hair cut. You can have crazy long hair and have an undercut. It's when you feature the back and sides shorter or more of a disconnected look. Now the mushroom cut or bowl cut is when you have your fringes in one length all around your head creating a bowl-like shape on your head, generally featuring an undercut haircut.

I think some are mistaking the full-on mushroom cut with curtained hair, where curtained hair is purposely trying to give a parted long fringe look. Where the bowl cut is literally a bowl of hair upside down on your head, even though a lot of the parted hairstyle look has a lack of texture making it look like that as it was especially in the 90's. Though here are some examples of curtained hair that are a little hard to point out as a full-on mushroom cut as it goes for a different type of look. But you could basically throw it back or slick it back and make it resemble a modern look. Some of these have long fringes with shorter hair on the back and sides but they still feature feathered-out hair or a bit of a blend with layers.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Undercut hairstyle with longer sides to stop Asian hair from sticking out? pt3407 0 54 12-07-2016 05:52 AM
Last Post: pt3407
  New Hairstyle ideas Snoopfrancis 1 75 12-06-2016 07:28 PM
Last Post: Snoopfrancis
  What hairstyle suits best! hadiawan 0 116 12-01-2016 12:45 AM
Last Post: hadiawan
  Help regarding a haircut (undercut) zorrocat1 0 290 10-30-2016 05:26 AM
Last Post: zorrocat1