Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ingrown hair treatment or how to get rid of an ingrown hair?
11-03-2014, 12:58 PM
Ingrown hair treatment or how to get rid of an ingrown hair?
I developed a small problem with shaving and ingrown hairs. Anybody know of a good ingrown hair treatment or how to get rid of an ingrown hair? whatever the solution. They are annoying as i just cannot shave properly and have to go around it. I got a couple on my neck.
Please help me out.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2014, 02:09 PM
RE: Ingrown hair treatment or how to get rid of an ingrown hair?
Ingrown hairs are some of the nastiest infections that one can have on their body. In general, it is difficult to avoid them and you never know when they might pop up. Below I will discuss how to remove an ingrown hair once it appears.

The first step to removing an ingrown hair is to find the ingrown hair and make sure that it is actually an ingrown hair. While they can be some of the worst infections out there, they sometimes look just like a normal infection. Not every bump on your body will be caused by one of these unsightly hairs. More than likely, ingrown hairs will be found in spots where you shave. For girls, it will more than likely be the legs. For guys, the face is obviously the choice for most common location. Typically, you will notice that these bumps will look like small cysts or pimples. The infection will be visible and you can sometimes spot the hair just below the surface.

The first thing to do once you find that nasty bump is to put some sort of warm rag on it. Use warm water and simply apply this in order to moisten the skin around the infection. Typically, this is effective for those bumps that have hairs close to the surface of the skin. In this case, the warm water will help to extract the hair towards the skin. You must apply the warm rag until the hair appears. In some cases, this may take a while, but it should eventually work. If you can bring that hair closer to the surface, then your next step will be much easier.

In order to get the hair out of there, grab a sterile instrument and go to work. Make sure that your needle or pair of tweezers are completely sterile, or you risk an even more testy infection. You will want to carefully tease the hair to the top of the surface. Never force it. By this time, the hair should be close enough that it will not require any digging into the skin. The idea is to get the ingrown end of the hair to be barely exposed above the skin. From there, it will work its way out.

When you do that, it is extremely important to go back and clean the formerly infected spot with a good dose of soap and water. This will help to protect your from nasty infections, but be careful not to dry out your skin. If this happens, you could be looking at more infection sin that area.

The easiest way to avoid these hairs is to shave and groom yourself properly. Use the right kind of shaving gel and aftershave (use one for sensitive skin like any of these aftershaves). Take great care to take your time when you shave. Rushing through the process will cause you nothing but extended problems.

However don't hesitate to go to the doctor and get professional health advice from the doctor.
11-05-2014, 12:55 PM
In addition to Sunset's excellent reply, let me mention this. You may be getting ingrowns because you're reducing the hair too quickly. Are you shaving against the grain straightaway? If you are...don't. Shave with the grain, then relather and shave across the grain (the direction 90 degrees away from the grain). If you don't get ingrowns that way and want to get a closer shave relather again and try an against-grain.

Something else: after you shave make sure you're rinsing with warm water really thoroughly, especially on your neck. Sometimes lather residue will clog pores and you'll end up with those little white bumps or ingrowns. Then go ahead and rinse again with cool water and follow up with an aftershave.

As for existing ingrown hairs, here is something else to try. Gently rub the area twice a day with a dry, soft-bristle tooth brush. That might exfoliate just enough to expose the hair.
11-16-2014, 10:37 PM
I don't have a regular issue with ingrown hairs but have had my share in the past. Some good advice has been given on how to avoid them; I can only offer what I've done to remove the offending hairs. When I see I have an ingrown hair, I sterilize a needle with a flame and look for the direction of growth under the skin. I lightly prick the skin with the needle away from the follicle and run the needle under the hair. I'm then able to lift the hair and pull it through the hole created by the needle. The worst one I ever had was quite the spectacle coming out. The needle was under the hair as I pulled and the ingrown hair created a loop over the needle. When I got it free from the skin so the terminal end of the hair was out, I found the ingrown hair to be at least 3/4 inches in length. I was amazed. The hair continued to grow under there and slowly tunneled its way through the skin. Ingrown hairs are certainly not a pleasant experience.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Man shaves half his body hair, beard and chest hair TheMensHairForum 7 6,704 04-17-2014 08:27 PM
Last Post: herehair