Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Information about the Gillette Fatboy safety razor
11-01-2014, 12:26 PM
Information about the Gillette Fatboy safety razor
The Gillette Fatboy safety razor is a vintage razor for wet shaving which is a precious shaving tool to have. I would like to provide some information about the Gillette Fatboy razor. Also provide tips on how to identify it as it can be mistaken with other razors.

The Wet shaving movement is quickly taking over all the 'new' forms of shaving whether electric or disposable. In the rush to acquire the very best razor to experience the best of shaves, some seek out the classic Gillette Fatboy razor. The Fatboy is in much demand and prices reflect that demand. The price for a Fatboy in good shaving condition rises daily and it's very difficult to find.

It is important to know what a Fatboy looks like since there are other razors that look similar but are nowhere near the same in quality or value. Unfortunately many have accidentally, due to a lack of knowledge, ended up with not a Fatboy but a Slim. Anyone who has shaved with these two razors can confirm that there is no comparison between the two and well, the Slim just cannot compete against the Fatboy. What must we do so that we do not get stuck with the lesser razor and also do not overpay in the process. Fortunately anybody can quickly and easily identify a Fatboy with just 3 simple steps.

Step One:

The Fatboy lives up to its name; it is compared to other adjustable razors "fat". The first thing to look for when trying to determine whether or not the razor you are considering purchasing is a Fatboy is to look at its size. The Fatboy will look be short compared to a Slim. The Fatboy is 3.35 inches while the Slim is 3.5 inches. This makes the Fatboy look like a chubby razor. Do also be sure to look for a high domed head. All these design elements combined truly do make the Fatboy deserve its nickname.

Step Two:

Now take a closer look at the adjustment dial. What you want to look for with the Fatboy is on the turn dial look for short vertical lines that are evenly spaced all around the dial. You will also want to be sure to be sure that the bottom of the dial is not flared but is flat.

Step Three:

Finally the easiest way to identify a Gillette Fatboy Razor is by looking at the date code. Look underneath the head of the razor right where the stem and head connect. You will want to look for letters. The Fatboy was made for only a few years so you will only need to look for a few different letters. Look for these letters D, E, F and G. If you see one of these letters there and the other features such as the high domes head and height are present, congratulations you have in your hands a Gillette Fatboy razor.

Now with these 3 simple steps anyone can acquire a Gillette Fatboy razor and never be fooled again into getting a lesser razor by mistake. Happy shaving and enjoy the classic Fatboy razor.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2014, 12:12 PM
RE: Information about the Gillette Fatboy safety razor
Since the Fat boy razor, this is a vintage safety razor. There are several models so I am going by eye here.

1959 Fatboy model:

[Image: $_57.JPG?rt=nc]

1960 Fatboy razor model:

[Image: $_57.JPG]

1961 Fat Boy razor:

Another 1960 Fatboy safety razor:

This time with the blades too. You can really tell by the graphic designing of the package that it's a real 1960s tool! Big Grin

Rusty 1960 model:

1959 Fatboy razor kit:

1991 Fatboy razor:

11-18-2014, 01:55 PM
I didn't know that Gillette produced this old razor. I think here in Spain we know Gillette for the plastic throwaway razors for men.

Sometimes you can also forget that older people shaved in the beginning of the 20th century. So they used this type of razor like the fat boy. Big and difficult to handle. A real mens razor. Perhaps? Big Grin
11-26-2014, 07:26 PM
I like the looks of that. I got my first DE razor today, an Edwin Jagger. I'd like to try the Fatboy with it's adjustability.
12-11-2014, 06:39 PM
I used this type of razor before. Not exactly that but similar. These didn't gave me the good shave that the modern ones give me with 3 blades.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Philips Norelco 1280X/47 SensoTouch 3D Electric Razor review A London Barber 0 85 10-26-2016 10:36 AM
Last Post: A London Barber
Question Electric shaver vs. wet shaving razor? Pros and Cons discussion Stevens 12 4,758 10-07-2016 11:45 AM
Last Post: Joseph.davidson
  Schick Quattro review: Titanium shaving razor for men The Hairstylist 0 108 10-05-2016 01:57 PM
Last Post: The Hairstylist
  Shaver as good as a razor darrelj 0 441 01-15-2016 09:57 PM
Last Post: darrelj