Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need help on how to style my medium long, coarse, thick hair (urgent).
04-23-2015, 06:10 AM
I need help on how to style my medium long, coarse, thick hair (urgent).
Hello!

I've always had a freshly cut hair as I feel stupid with non-cut hair (it looks messy). My hairstyle has always been the shorter on the sides, and longer on the top.

However, my gf has gotten this realisation that I should get a man bun of some sort. I've never had long hair, so I thought why not? My current problem however is that I'm attending a very formal event on the coming Sunday where I will wear my suit. I can't wear my snapback or hoodie there, so I don't know how to style this thick, coarse hair. Should I use gel since it's thick now? I usually use wax, but it's too thick and long for it now. It just ends up looking messy and out of place.

Super bad picture of how my hair is, if it's to any help.

[Image: zyQ31S3.jpg]

Should I trim the sides of my hair and keep it long at the top? Will it make it look better? How do I style it with gel/wax? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-23-2015, 01:29 PM
RE: I need help on how to style my medium long, coarse, thick hair (urgent).
(04-23-2015 06:10 AM)Ivara1 Wrote:  Hello!

I've always had a freshly cut hair as I feel stupid with non-cut hair (it looks messy). My hairstyle has always been the shorter on the sides, and longer on the top.

However, my gf has gotten this realisation that I should get a man bun of some sort. I've never had long hair, so I thought why not? My current problem however is that I'm attending a very formal event on the coming Sunday where I will wear my suit. I can't wear my snapback or hoodie there, so I don't know how to style this thick, coarse hair. Should I use gel since it's thick now? I usually use wax, but it's too thick and long for it now. It just ends up looking messy and out of place.

Super bad picture of how my hair is, if it's to any help.

Should I trim the sides of my hair and keep it long at the top? Will it make it look better? How do I style it with gel/wax? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I would use hair wax/pomade for your hair type as I have the same type of hair as yourself (thick and straight). I wouldn't get a haircut if your goal is to get a man bun. You are just delaying your growth every time you get a haircut. I would suggest putting your hair in a sidepart or pompadour and just let it go. It will take you at least a year to get a manbun.
04-24-2015, 09:17 AM
Get your hair slicked back! See our slick back hairstyle guide for more on how to style your hair back. But it's a very easy hairstyle to do & as classic as it can be. The best hair product for slicked back hair is pomade but you can also use hair gel.

Hair wax is not recommended for slicked back hair. We have recommended some of the best hair products for the slick back style in the guide too so go thru it as it has a lot of info! Smile

Your hair right now must be 2 to 3 inches long or 5 to 8 cms long so you still have a long way to go to grow your hair long for a man bun. We recommend men to grow their hair to 7 inches for a half bun or man bun undercut. If you want to have all of your hair inside the bun - which is what many guys do - you will need longer hair & we recommend that you get at last 12 inches of hair length for a full man bun.

For now you can make it your goal to grow your hair to 7 inches or even 6 inches & see how you like the long hair. Then you get an undercut haircut & you use only the hair on the top to tie a man bun. Like I said this is what we could call a man bun undercut or topknot hairstyle.

Apart from the slicked back hair guide, here's some epic threads that I recommend that you also go thru as they have a lot of useful content on the man bun, the topknot & the undercut. We have also posted in those threads hundreds of pictures to give you lots of style ideas & help you to decide which hairstyle & haircut you want to achieve & have in one year. From what I can see from your current hair length, it will take you approximately 8 months to be able to tie a man bun. Do you think you can wait 8 months letting your hair grow longer? I ask you this because not everyone is prepared to wait that long.
04-28-2015, 06:48 AM
I'd recommend you to trim the sides and leave the top longer (a disconnected undercut would be nice and trendy) and either slick back your hair with pomade or make a pompadour with either pomade or wax.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New style wanted Snow23 0 175 10-24-2016 07:54 PM
Last Post: Snow23
  Medium slickback hairstyle Gias98 0 310 10-20-2016 12:50 PM
Last Post: Gias98
  Long hair side shaved grow to man bun hairstyle or top knot? darkguy2 3 330 10-17-2016 08:44 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  Looking for advice with medium/long hair shenefbs 0 187 10-07-2016 08:53 PM
Last Post: shenefbs