Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm a horrible hair person. Would love your suggestions!
09-17-2013, 07:04 PM
I'm a horrible hair person. Would love your suggestions!
Hello, all my life I have not given much thought to my hair. But as my life is changing, I want to be more presentable and professional. I want to have a clean look. My hair is your typical Asian type hair...straight and sticks straight out when cut short. I have no idea what to do. I kind of want this style that John Cho is sporting:

[Image: abrRqJH.jpg]

How do you guys think this cut will look on me?

Me:

[Image: jqM7w4m.jpg]

[Image: Y8cAOFC.jpg]

[Image: jqM7w4m.jpg]

[Image: Y8cAOFC.jpg]

Any suggestions or advice would much be appreciated!

PS: some concerns I have...I think I have a light case of sebhorreic dermatitis (redness) at the back of my head. I am self conscious about that showing if I get my hair cut too short in the back that shows my scalp. I am conflicted though because the John Cho cut looks pretty short to me.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-18-2013, 12:16 PM
RE: I'm a horrible hair person. Would love your suggestions!
Hey there, can you post the hairstyle of John Cho? I think you missed it out in your post.

Also when posting images, please use the [img] tag around the image URL or simply click on the icon that looks like a mountain and a sun on the text editor (called "Insert Image"). I edited your post so the images are embedded here already.

You can also read about posting images in this forum here http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Announ...your-posts

Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
09-18-2013, 12:26 PM
(09-18-2013 12:16 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Hey there, can you post the hairstyle of John Cho? I think you missed it out in your post.

Also when posting images, please use the [img] tag around the image URL or simply click on the icon that looks like a mountain and a sun on the text editor (called "Insert Image"). I edited your post so the images are embedded here already.

You can also read about posting images in this forum here http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Announ...your-posts

Smile

Ahh, I didn't realize all the links were messed up. I'm unable to edit though? I didn't know I had repeat images...

Anyways heres the John Cho picture:

[Image: JgxTPRY.jpg]
09-18-2013, 12:38 PM
Greenshirt, that is a very simple haircut, it's called a businessman cut, any barber can do it easily. In the businessman cut the hair on the back of the top of the head is left at the same length as the front.

From the looks of the John Cho haircut, he has his hairline/lower scalp buzzed with a #2 which could pose a problem for your with the seborrheic dermatitis. Tell your barber your problem and tell him to start trimming conservatively. Usually a taper finished of with a #3 guard will not show the scalp whereas a #2 can, depending on the circumstance.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
09-18-2013, 12:41 PM
(09-18-2013 12:38 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Greenshirt, that is a very simple haircut, it's called a businessman cut, any barber can do it easily. In the businessman cut the hair on the back of the top of the head is left at the same length as the front.

From the looks of the John Cho haircut, he has his hairline/lower scalp buzzed with a #2 which could pose a problem for your with the seborrheic dermatitis. Tell your barber your problem and tell him to start trimming conservatively. Usually a taper finished of with a #3 guard will not show the scalp whereas a #2 can, depending on the circumstances.

Wow thanks for the information.

I've never gotten a taper before...so I'm a bit unfamiliar with it. From what you said, do you mean the higher up on my head would be longer tapered down to a #3 at the base of my neckline?
09-18-2013, 12:46 PM
Correct.

The taper starts from the perimeter of the top of your head, usually the temples and then the hair is trimmed down slowly so that the hair at the hairline is shorter than the hair on the temples (you can see it in the John Cho haircut picture you posted).

A barber can finish off a taper with a hair clipper or shears (scissors), but if you want the John Cho haircut you will need a hair clipper buzz at the hairline, so have a longer guard done by your barber (a #3, not a #2 like in the picture of John Cho).

It's actually a pretty easy haircut as it's a standard one.

09-18-2013, 12:49 PM
(09-18-2013 12:46 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Correct.

The taper starts from the perimeter of the top of your head, usually the temples and then the hair is trimmed down slowly so that the hair at the hairline is shorter than the hair on the temples (you can see it in the John Cho haircut picture you posted).

A barber can finish off a taper with a hair clipper or shears (scissors), but if you want the John Cho haircut you will need a hair clipper buzz at the hairline, so have a longer guard done by your barber (a #3, not a #2 like in the picture of John Cho).

It's actually a pretty easy haircut as it's a standard one.

Great! So just to be clear, I should say something like "I'd like to taper the back down to a #3"? Sorry, I'm such a newbie when it comes to hair.

Also, how would I style this? I currently own some Gatsby wax that I rarely use. Would that be it?
09-20-2013, 10:08 AM
Also, how should I describe the way my sideburns should be cut?
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Suggestions for a new haircut? Lucas Lima 1 529 08-08-2016 01:58 PM
Last Post: gadgethawse
Brick Looking for new hairstyle suggestions (PICTURES) Cody Reks 4 2,140 05-22-2016 09:51 PM
Last Post: Cody Reks
  I cut this myself yesterday. Not terrible. Suggestions/improvements? calfcalf 0 495 01-19-2016 02:26 AM
Last Post: calfcalf
  Suggestions Syndrome97 1 402 01-04-2016 08:43 PM
Last Post: Syndrome97