Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm 33 yrs old trying to grow my hair for the first time, and facing some serious iss
08-22-2015, 07:02 AM
I'm 33 yrs old trying to grow my hair for the first time, and facing some serious iss
Hello, I was really happy to find this forum.. I hope my post is OK, if not please advise.
At the beginning of this year I decided to accomplish one of my college wishes to grow my hair long, but apparently this much more challenging. Here is some relevant background I live in Alexandria, Egypt where the weather is pretty humid. My hair is growing up very slowly and it really fizzes and makes waves in humidity. (I don't know if this is the right terminology). I'm also pretty thin ( it takes a lot of effort to gain a couple of KGs)
I'm not very careful with my hair, I usually just pick a famous shampoo and use it once a week or more if needed, then the rest of the week just hot water. But since I started growing my hair, I asked what should I use to wash my hair day to day coz of the heat and my friends advised me with conditioner ( I'll link photos with my hair and products)
Finally I also take a supplement 3 times a day to help, but it works on my nails and facial hair more. And whenever I go out I wear one of those french caps backwards to cover my whole head, since its not tall enough to tie it., and I don't use any product
Now my hair starts falling, mainly in the morning shower or brushing after, and especially yesterday in the shower (its shampoo day) enough hair fell down to make a short extension Confused I dunno of any professionals around, so I decided to seek help from the internet. I don't think I have male baldness, I think its me doing something wrong, or something about my nutrition or most probably the product.
If you know what I can do to stop the falling hair, and tame it a bit so I don't have to wear the cap
Sorry if its too long to read.

TL;DR trying to tame my hair and for it not to fall as much
Here's my hair and the products (again sorry for the quality, if needed be I'll try to find a better camera, and I can't seem to share links so I had to share them img by img)
imgur.com/a/X9mgM
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-30-2015, 08:44 PM
RE: I'm 33 yrs old trying to grow my hair for the first time, and facing some serious iss
Hope this helpsSmile

It is normal to have some hair fall out. If your hair is dark it is more noticeable. Two times a year your hair kinda sheds (spring, late fall)
Years ago I had a lot of hair fall out because of stress. So eat well Sleep 8 hours and exercise.
I also use shampoo and conditioner thats organic, no sulfates, or parabens. Look up online suggested products. I LOVE Malibu Scalp Wellness and a leave in conditioner spray.
Conditioning your hair helps the ends from breaking. Curly hair is more fragile and dry. Just shampoo will dry your hair out and it will break. Also Coconut Oil in your hair for 30mins a week really helps. Make sure you wash it out. I sleep with it in then wash my hair in the morning.

I have been doing hair for 5 years. Cheap shampoo causes hair loss. I have had several balding men start using organic gentle products and there hair has come back in 6months. Some balding is just in your genes too.

Best of luck
11-30-2015, 10:01 PM
RE: I'm 33 yrs old trying to grow my hair for the first time, and facing some serious iss
Thanx a lot for your reply, I'll check for a leave in conditioner spray and the coconut oil remedy.
The thing is I've been wearing a hat for months and months now, waiting for my hair to be long enough to weigh down. I wish there was something to tame it whilst i'm outside
12-03-2015, 01:31 PM
I have super wavy hair, for me personally the best thing I could do is try a large variety of hairstyles and products. My friends always joke about it, but wavy hair is very unpredictable and the only way to get it to lay correctly is to do what it wants and not what I want.... If that makes any sense?

I started growing mine out, realized because my hair is so wavy that it would be too much time and money to grow it long so I go meduim length. A shower (no wash,) blow dry, and murrays and my hair is very Brad Cooper like.
12-04-2015, 12:35 AM
(12-03-2015 01:31 PM)Wildcard Wrote:  do what it wants and not what I want.... If that makes any sense?

Yes this definitely I agree with, but the whole point is that I wanted to grow my hair, I'm just gonna try to push through. Maybe when it's long enough the weight would calm it down.
12-10-2015, 01:35 AM
(12-04-2015 12:35 AM)alexseif Wrote:  
(12-03-2015 01:31 PM)Wildcard Wrote:  do what it wants and not what I want.... If that makes any sense?

Yes this definitely I agree with, but the whole point is that I wanted to grow my hair, I'm just gonna try to push through. Maybe when it's long enough the weight would calm it down.

If you're having problems with frizzy hair you might want to try seeing if the acid layer that protects your hair is damaged. It can be damaged by touching your hair too much (friction), combing at inopportune times or too often (friction), using hair products with alcohol in them can neutralize the acid layer also. Having your hair out in the wind a lot, especially if you live in a place with a lot of dust and sand in the air can damage the acidic layer with friction.

If you think you need to restore the acid layer, try replacing your conditioner with apple cider vinegar once a week or so. You put 1-2tbsp apple cider vinegar into 8-16oz of water. I would try a weaker solution first. Leave it in your hair for about 2 min then rinse well to get the smell out. It works extremely well for my hair and maybe it will work for you.

As for hair loss, I'm not sure. I've had some hair loss due to stress before, but I don't know of any sort of nutritional remedies to deal with that sort of thing.
12-11-2015, 02:51 PM
Thanx a lot
I guess there's more to hair than I would know.
I'm not worried about the hair loss everyone's telling me it's normal.

I do live in an area with lots of wind, dust and humidity.
I brush my hair once after I shower everyday, then most of the day have headphones on.

I dunno what's in my shampoo/conditioner but I will check.
I'd like to follow you on your tip with the apple cider vinegar, actually sounds like a great tip, but I'm gonna have to try and research it first. I'll let you know how it goes if I go through with it.

But really thanx a lot I appreciate your advice, it's really bugging me and I don't want to give up and start cutting my hair short again.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How long to grow medium afro hairstyle for wavy hair? R.mendez099 1 444 07-30-2016 01:56 AM
Last Post: PrettyboiJ21
  Anyone Looking To Grow Their Wavy Hair Long? Unshorn 11 3,521 12-12-2015 12:02 AM
Last Post: ImNotSureIfiCanGrow
  What hair products and haircut to use to grow curly hair long? Professor81 2 912 09-07-2015 02:27 AM
Last Post: Zaraterry
  how long to grow black mens hair? Tyrone92 14 21,455 12-13-2013 04:20 PM
Last Post: Barber