Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have Thick, wavy, coarse, frizzy hair and need to find a haircut! PLEASE HELP ME!
08-19-2015, 12:39 AM
I have Thick, wavy, coarse, frizzy hair and need to find a haircut! PLEASE HELP ME!
Hey guys and gals,

I have the worst hair. It's reddish blonde and medium length. It's also frizzy, wavy, thick, coarse and does not lay flat. I need a new haircut that would work for myself. Any suggestions? I would prefer something that's really short on the sides and long on the top.

Thanks,

jfab13

Added later: I'll take any suggestions!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-21-2015, 08:29 AM
The best hairstyle for wavy hair is a taper haircut with medium-length hair on top!
Welcome to the forum! First things first, what is your current hair length? See our hair length guide to know which type of length you currently sport on your hair. Likewise, what's the new length that you want to achieve with your new wavy haircut? I have upgraded your account so that you can post pictures of your hair (use something like IMGur which you can upload your pictures in seconds and embed here).

It's very important for us to see your hair since we need to have a foundation of what's going on with your hair. A good haircut for wavy hair will always be a medium length on the top with taper-cut sides and back. This is what we call a taper haircut and it leaves about 2 to 5 inches on the top of your head so that you can style that length as you wish. Wavy hair is a great hair type to have as it's docile enough to slick back or make it messy, yet it also has some great natural volume.

Check out the link above that I posted for our taper haircut guide as you will learn how the sides and back of your head would look with a tapered haircut. See the following hairstyle guides in the links below for other hairstyles that go great for wavy hair:
  • The modern slicked back hairstyle which has your hair slicked back with your fingers and with a water-based pomade or with a good matte hair wax.
  • A messy hair style which leaves your wavy curls looking carefree but clean and well styled. You do this with by using a hair mousse or a hairstyling cream and then shaking your head. Another name for this is the Shake & Go hairstyle. See this list of recommended men's hair products for a good hair mousse and a good hairstyling wax.
  • The Brush Up hairstyle goes very well for both straight hair and wavy hair. With wavy hair, you use your fingers to style your hair up while you have a hair dryer point to your hair so as to encourage the hair to stand up. You will need a good strong-hold hair wax for the Brush Up hairstyle, so check out this list of great hair waxes for men which includes all the range of holding strengths and shine levels (i.e. finished hair textures) for men's hair wax products.
The above hairstyles are done with a taper haircut on the sides and back of the head. The hair on the top should be about 4 inches long for those 3 hairstyles above too. Last but not least, you can try side parting your wavy mane with a hair mousse. The hair mousse will encourage your wavy curls to stand out with volume while also defining the wavy locks and accentuating their shape. Again, for a good hair mousse product, see the link I posted above that has our recommended range of hair products for men.

Lastly, check out this big thread on all the wavy hairstyles for men which includes lots of hairstyle pictures of wavy-haired guys from models to regular folks and which will give you different hairstyle ideas and inspiration.

One more thing, frizzy wavy hair is exceptionally common, as is with the rest of curly hair type for men. You need to solve this frizzy issue if you want to achieve the best hairstyle aesthetics. The trick to taming frizz with wavy hair is to use a conditioner or a leave-in conditioner. If you aren't using a conditioner or a leave-in conditioner, you should start now!

You will find some great conditioners on the list of recommended men's hair products that I linked to earlier in this post. Likewise, for some excellent leave-in conditioners, see this other list of leave-in conditioners for men which includes leave-ins with different prices so that you can afford at least one of them. Whichever leave-in conditioner that you gt form that list will be a great choice and will certainly help a lot with taming your hair frizz.

To use a leave-in conditioner, lightly coat your hair with it when your hair is damp (e.g. after a shower and after drying your hair). Once your hair is lightly coated with the leave-in conditioner, you can now use any other men's hairstyling product of your choice (e.g. a strong-hold hair wax, a pomade or some hair mousse) to style your desired hairstyle.

Leave-in conditioners are extremely useful hair products for men as they will tame frizz and give fullness to your wavy hair as well as a glossy look. Furthermore, you can use any other men's hairstyling product with a leave-in conditioner; simply use the leave-in conditioner first to coat your hair with it and then proceed to style your wavy mane with your other chosen hairstyling product!

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Can someone please tell what kind of haircut this is? thedelakore 0 145 11-12-2016 09:37 PM
Last Post: thedelakore
  How can I get rid of frizzy hair? Tips and products to use MFP73 5 1,239 10-18-2016 02:12 PM
Last Post: A Tall Guy
  Method to turn Curly hair into Wavy hair for Men - Hair Product Trick Bradley 2 14,188 09-28-2016 01:13 AM
Last Post: PinkChili
  How long to grow medium afro hairstyle for wavy hair? R.mendez099 1 454 07-30-2016 01:56 AM
Last Post: PrettyboiJ21