Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How to use hair wax? 5 1
How to use hair wax?
04-14-2014, 10:30 AM
RE: How to use hair wax?
I know it's not technically a wax per se, but does anybody find that the product called "Moulder" from a well respected UK brand of hair products (I'm not mentioning it incase it would still be against the rules with my relatively small number of posts- it is called Moulder though) doesn't work so well on really thick hair?

It's description is "Immediate grab and a high density texture" which I know may sound obviously counteractive for anybody with bushy hair trying to create sleek styles (like my modern pomp-quiff) but I have done a lot of searching and can rarely ever find any reviews from guys with thick hair.

It contains dragon's blood, which I know can thicken hair's appearance but could anybody else confirm that this is the same on their hair? It could just be me, but it doesn't seem to have a very desired effect. The texture is there, but it appears really chunky and seems to puff my hair out. It's a huge shame, because as far as the finish goes this was the best product of it's kind that I've used.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-16-2014, 06:39 AM
(04-14-2014 10:30 AM)AD120790 Wrote:  I know it's not technically a wax per se, but does anybody find that the product called "Moulder" from a well respected UK brand of hair products (I'm not mentioning it incase it would still be against the rules with my relatively small number of posts- it is called Moulder though) doesn't work so well on really thick hair?

It's description is "Immediate grab and a high density texture" which I know may sound obviously counteractive for anybody with bushy hair trying to create sleek styles (like my modern pomp-quiff) but I have done a lot of searching and can rarely ever find any reviews from guys with thick hair.

It contains dragon's blood, which I know can thicken hair's appearance but could anybody else confirm that this is the same on their hair? It could just be me, but it doesn't seem to have a very desired effect. The texture is there, but it appears really chunky and seems to puff my hair out. It's a huge shame, because as far as the finish goes this was the best product of it's kind that I've used.

Yeah mate I know which one you are talking about, the Hairbond Moulder wax right? I am sure the guys are ok if you ask questions or issues and then mention brands. What is not acceptable is what the geezer previous to you did and spam a product whatever it was. But anyway about the product yes, its moulding wax from Hairbond, the Hairbond Moulder (exact name). Sort of like a wax but more for shaping.

I know Uk guys and clients who complain of the same issue you have with the Hairbond Moulder. They have a lot of hair naturally, dense and thick and the Hairbond Moulder is a disaster for this hair type like yours too. Hairbond mentions the Moulder wax is for thickening the hairstyles while shaping which is sort of contradicting as the more bulk the less shape you can get but anyway... the Dragon's Blood the product has is just an exotic name for a type of resin, you know, the same resin that comes from good old trees lol it Dragon's Blood just sounds cooler.
Any resin will create a disaster with thick hair or curly hair and you should avoid it. Actually I quickly visited the review section in Amazon for the Hairbond Moulder, and there are reviews there complaining of the same issue which makes sense cause hair wax made of resin is the last thing you should be using!

I would recommend you instead to go for a light hair wax that still allows you to shape the hair and that also has the matte effect. A good hair wax for those purposes is the Tigi bed head wax which if you are in the Uk like some of us you can get from the vendor that the guys recommend in the forum, this is the Uk Amazon link to the Tigi wax I saw in the Joey Essex hair thread -->this one. This Tigi bed head hair wax is way better for styling thick hair and for curly hair. It also has Matte effect + easy to remove, go for it mate. Ta Smile
04-19-2014, 08:24 AM (This post was last modified: 04-19-2014 08:33 AM by AD120790.)
Ah thanks for the reply mate. I will definitely have to try the Bed head wax. The Joey Essex quiff is definitely the kind of thing I'm going for. Out of curiosity, is the HB Shaper the same as the moulder for thick hair? How do HB's other products compare, as I know the distorter is a decent clay without the resin.

I did look up the dragon's blood (sangre de drago, right?), and yeah it's pretty much a no-go for bushy hair haha, I know that now. I have watched guys use it on less-thick and thinning hair, and it does some decent things for them so I can see why it is an ingredient in the moulder, but I wish there was more info out there pertaining to it being quite bad on thick hair. They should really play it up as a hair appearance thickener, it would be even more popular than it is! I'll try the tigi though, cheers anyway!
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------