Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How to use hair wax?
05-12-2013, 03:09 PM
How to use hair wax?
Newbie here and just got introduced to hair wax. Everytime I try to use it my hair gets all greasy and doesn't look nice so Im guessing Im not doing it right. Anyone know how to apply the hair wax?
Cheers
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2013, 04:16 PM
RE: How to use hair wax?
Most guys tend to use too much hair wax. Only use an amount equating a fingertip, then spread the hair wax around the fingers and work your way through with the fingers. Do not use a comb, only style with the fingers. Give it a try and report back Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-13-2013, 11:40 AM
Less is more with hair wax Wink
05-13-2013, 03:28 PM
Yeah, it works much better now! Thank you guys. I was using way too much to the point it looked greasy.
05-13-2013, 05:43 PM
Glad it worked Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-15-2013, 03:16 PM
(05-12-2013 03:09 PM)Robert Wrote:  Newbie here and just got introduced to hair wax. Everytime I try to use it my hair gets all greasy and doesn't look nice so Im guessing Im not doing it right. Anyone know how to apply the hair wax?
Cheers

Ive always found wax to be too greasy, prefer water soluble pomades.
05-20-2013, 08:36 PM
(05-15-2013 03:16 PM)Machado Wrote:  
(05-12-2013 03:09 PM)Robert Wrote:  Newbie here and just got introduced to hair wax. Everytime I try to use it my hair gets all greasy and doesn't look nice so Im guessing Im not doing it right. Anyone know how to apply the hair wax?
Cheers

Ive always found wax to be too greasy, prefer water soluble pomades.

i never found water pomades to work like real pomades, more like halfway between hair gel and pomade. I stick to regular hair pomade but like it has been said in this thread, use less pomade to style the hair if you don't want a greasy mess.
05-20-2013, 09:11 PM
Cheers

Remember to not get the hair wax applied too close to the scalp on the hair length when styling.

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
06-05-2013, 01:21 PM
is hair wax any good for long hair by the way?
06-05-2013, 01:36 PM
you should generally avoid hair wax if you have long hair unless your hair type is "straight" and the length of your long hair is still in the single digits (for example six inches).

06-06-2013, 07:52 AM
Machado, avoid getting any hair wax on the scalp; if you have long hair, coating the 3/4 length of the hair (starting from the tips) with hair wax is a good rule of thumb

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
06-06-2013, 07:00 PM
I still remember my days as hair wax junkie trying pretty much all brands but never finding one that worked for me. The only thing that worked for all waxes was that they were hellish to remove from the scalp and required so much shampoo my scalp would be all dry and irritated Confused

06-09-2013, 11:29 AM
pomade is hard to remove but wax is a damn nitemare if u use too much.
10-07-2013, 01:19 PM
Always a tough one: I start out with "waxable" hair only about 2 inches long on top, but I also like my hair longer, to give it a more wavey look which also goes better with a 5-day beard.

So I tend to skip the hairdresser a bit longer than I should (usually 2,5 months between). But my hair is so straight and so weak on its own that the wax stops having any effect once I've got 3 inches. Any product tips on how to keep it decent a little longer? Mousse seems to make it brittle, adding wax after the mousse (even a little) makes it messy, hairspray clots everything together...
10-07-2013, 02:37 PM
wax or paste works for me once I straighten my hair
11-05-2013, 04:43 AM
For me, I tend to rub in between my palms to heat it up a little bit for it to stick into the hair. Start it off from the back though, slowly through the front and lastly the sides.
03-19-2014, 02:24 PM
(05-12-2013 04:16 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Most guys tend to use too much hair wax. Only use an amount equating a fingertip, then spread the hair wax around the fingers and work your way through with the fingers. Do not use a comb, only style with the fingers. Give it a try and report back Smile

So as a foundation & especially for newbies... shall we stick to the waxes in the forums recommended hair products thread?
I have been having great results with both of the waxes recommended in that thread especially the gatsby one as it is pretty slick for shaping lots of styles.
03-19-2014, 06:15 PM
(03-19-2014 02:24 PM)Stevens Wrote:  So as a foundation & especially for newbies... shall we stick to the waxes in the forums recommended hair products thread?
I have been having great results with both of the waxes recommended in that thread especially the gatsby one as it is pretty slick for shaping lots of styles.

Stevens, that is correct. As we have pretty much covered in the forum and from many of our members providing feedback, you cannot go wrong with the following 2 hair wax products as each caters to different hairstyling needs that only high-quality styling waxes like these 2 can satisfy:
  • This wax from TIGI: for a natural messy hairstyle that is casual and looks more natural than artificially tousled. You can still get a good shaping of the hair, but this wax's main asset is in providing a more natural-looking touch with great control of the hair (so you can tousle your hair for a "defined" messy style!).
  • This one from Gatsby: for a shaped and molded style that requires maximum hair control and shaping ability. Perfect for those men requiring the super-defined shaping with slick of their hair and without the dry look of hair gel or greasy look of pomade.
The above two styling wax products are great to have in your "styling toolkit", whether it's just one of the two or both waxes. They are affordable and of high quality and will satisfy your styling requirements whether you're looking for a casual hairstyle that gives a more natural look or whether you're looking for a super-shaped hairstyle with maximum hair control! Smile

03-25-2014, 12:16 PM
I found when using hair wax when I was younger that my hair got really greasy too - it really is just as simple as using less.
04-12-2014, 06:59 PM
I have used the products in the paste that made it look greasy, and now with the stuff i use it only takes the smallest about to hold. I use "some stupid brand I am trying to spam because we are so cheap we try to spam a forum where the mods know exactly what every spammer is trying to do" and so far the best stuff I have ever tried... another good thing to do is after the wax or paste is dry, finish it off with a couple squirts of hair spray.
good luck
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------