Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to use hair trimmer for a hair thinning haircut?
10-24-2015, 06:12 PM
How to use hair trimmer for a hair thinning haircut?

I have a hair trimmer (named Eta Josh, I believe), and it actually has a function for hair thinning, using the thin-out extension, which you can slide in or out. It should have the same or similar functionality as thinning shears. However, I haven't found much information about this specific trimmer, or thinning trimmers generally, and I am not sure how to use it. I'm afraid it would cut 80% of my hair.

I'm attaching photos of the trimmer, blades are silver, and the white part is a slide-able thin-out extension.

I'd appreciate every help.
Thanks! Smile

[Image: gHhZFId.jpg]

[Image: 3w6aIMF.jpg]

[Image: j4BEowv.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-25-2015, 08:59 AM
Thinning your own hair isn't too difficult but it's usually not required either.
Most men don't need their hair to be thinned out, and, in many cases, it's a big mistake to get one's own hair thinned out as doing so removed a lot of hair length that you probably would have wanted to keep.

Nonetheless, if this is your first time getting your hair, my advice is to first get it done at a hair salon or barbershop so that you get to gauge the results of thinning your hair. You will probably find a very-modest benefit from thinning your hair that isn't worth risking your hair (in case you get it wrong when you do it yourself).

The best way to deal with any extra unwanted volume is to learn how to use your hairstyling products as well as buying the right men's hair products as the cheaper and low-quality hair products will enhance the bad part of voluminous hair. For example, those with curly hair will want to first learn how to use a shampoo and a conditioner so as to tame any a hair frizz and keep their curls shaped as desired. In this instance, thinning one's curly hair will cause an uneven curly shape and reduced volume that won't look very good when compared to simply using the right hair products for curly hair (which we've discussed many times before in this forum).

If you want to proceed with thinning your hair, then simply follow the instructions that should come with your hair trimmer or hair clipper. I take it that you do indeed have instructions on how to use it, correct? Thinning hair with the right tool (as per your case) isn't difficult, since all that you're doing is trimming some hair strands and not others in a given segment of the scalp when you run the hair trimmer through your hair with the hair-thinning attachment. In other words, you should be passing the hair trimmer over your hair smoothly and as if wanting to trim your hair itself.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
10-25-2015, 12:00 PM (This post was last modified: 10-25-2015 12:02 PM by Lorenn.)
RE: How to use hair trimmer for a hair thinning haircut?
Thank you for your reply, I've tried really high amount of shampoos, conditioners, and styling products like gels, waxes, pastes, etc. My hair is quite straight and about 5-6 inches long, however, the volume, thickness and amount of hair frizz is incredibly high. I can't reach a compromise between good hold and nice dry effect.

When I let my hair dry (towel, hair-dryer or just by letting it dry naturally), it looks absolutely terrible, it's huge, frizzy, dry, it acts like a solid object. With the huge load of hair product I can get the shape I want, however, the hair is incredibly wet and shiny - which I don't want.

That is why I thought hair thinning might be a good idea.
06-02-2016, 02:35 PM
RE: How to use hair trimmer for a hair thinning haircut?
Hi Lorenn,

My friend has bought a trimmer for me, just like the one you posted about. I have had my best hair cut ever with it. Since my hair has volume, with this trimmer I can shave evenly and it makes my hair lose this unwanted volume. But it is broken now, I've tried to fix it but no way. So I need a new one, could you please tell what brand is your trimmer exactly? Because I can't find the one with a thinning comb just like yours.

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Haircut for wavy, medium hair (man) Je2848132 0 695 01-21-2016 03:23 PM
Last Post: Je2848132
  Cameron Dallas haircut? Jdub16 2 795 01-17-2016 06:14 AM
Last Post: yavuzc78
  Differences Between Thick Hair and Thin Hair? GoodHair 10 28,900 12-18-2015 08:30 AM
Last Post: Fantast1c
  What is the hairstyle name of this businessmen haircut? Pablo1914 1 1,278 09-26-2015 10:45 AM
Last Post: Mike Lowe