Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to use different brands of Minoxidil and what strength to use?
07-29-2015, 08:43 AM
How to use different brands of Minoxidil and what strength to use?
Will there be any problems switching different forms of minoxidil? I just got my hands on a 3 month supply of Rogaine which I bought it off a pal and he gave me a massive discount. As I'm residing in Singapore, I'm afraid the price of Rogaine coupled with shipping fees would be too hefty in the long run and I would definitively look to switch to other cheaper minoxidil alternatives that my local pharmacies may offer( I haven't looked yet)

2. Thru my researching of minoxidil in general thru the web, I have chanced upon 15% and even 10% minoxidil azelaic acid solution by Xandrox. This concentration of minoxidil has not been discussed here (or at least not that I have chances upon) and I'm just curious about it. While my hair loss is not severe, I really want the best result for my hair loss since I am going to start Rogaine. Should the higher % of minoxidil be considered? I have read that one should not be looking to OVERTREAT hair loss and I am puzzled by this claim. Is there really such a thing as in it would do more harm than good?

3. This is just out of my utmost curiosity but I would really like to know what products or brands of minoxidil you use personally and other hair care products you are currently on because you don't sound like a fan of Rogaine. If you are not using hair loss products than please ignore this inane question of mine!

Much thanks and I am eagerly awaiting your reply! Smile

I thank you once again! You have been nothing short of impeccable brilliance in terms of answering my doubts. Anyway I still have some last burning questions before I start minoxidil and I hope you can help me out (see the questions above).

Moderator edit: post moved to create this new thread to get better replies and exposure for answers.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-30-2015, 08:10 AM
You can use any brand of minoxidil like Regaine so long as you use the same format.
One of our forum staff moved your post from the Official Hair Loss Products discussion to this new thread as you question is very interesting and, that way, any answers will benefit the rest of our forum visitors.

Quote:Will there be any problems switching different forms of minoxidil?

No, you can swap the different minoxidil-based brands so long as you maintain the format used. For example, if you're using the foam version of Rogaine and you want to change to another minoxidil-based brand, then make sure that your next product will also be a foam version of minoxidil.

You want to stick to the same product format to ensure that you're getting the same dosing as you did with the previous product. With foam, you will rapidly get used to coating your scalp with it, so, by using a different brand that provides the minoxidil with foam, you will be getting the same absorption and distribution despite using two different brands.

Be careful with where you buy your minoxidil-based products from and what brands you choose. Some (cheap) manufacturers will not have the percentage of minoxidil concentration that they state on the label of the product. That's why it's always best to spend the extra bucks to go with a trusted minoxidil-based product. While Rogaine is a trusted product, there are other products that contain minoxidil and which are also trusted. Have a look at our list of hair loss products in the link which is the one from our official hair loss product discussion.

Quote:Should the higher % of minoxidil be considered? I have read that one should not be looking to OVERTREAT hair loss and I am puzzled by this claim. Is there really such a thing as in it would do more harm than good?

Don't go for the higher concentrations just yet. A 5% concentration of minoxidil as per the trusted minoxidil-based products like Rogaine and the ones recommended in the linked list above is strong enough to start working on your hair loss. In fact, a 5% concentration is usually enough, even for the bad cases of hair loss that can still be salvaged with minoxidil. This is why you will see that we frequently recommend this concentration of minoxidil and the products in the list as those are tried-and-test minoxidil-based products that work.

Bear in mind that minoxidil can take up to 6 months to show its full effects. Likewise, not all men benefit the same from minoxidil. Some men not only have their hair loss stop but they also regrow quite a good amount of the lost hair, while other men aren't as lucky and can simply slow down the progression of the balding.

It should also be noted that your current Norwood stage will dictate your potential success with minoxidil. If there's extensive hair loss on the top of the head as per a Norwood IV and above, then minoxidil will not give you back a lot of hair. You want to use minoxidil as soon as you notice that you're going bald as that's where it truly works "miracles".

Minoxidil works the best on the vertex (i.e. back of the top of the head), and, since this is an area of the head that is difficult for you to see on a daily basis, you may not notice the benefits until later into the treatment. Thus, make sure that you're checking the vertex area once a week as that's where you're going to be getting the most of the benefit. However, do not check the area daily!

Quote:I would really like to know what products or brands of minoxidil you use personally and other hair care products you are currently on...

In your post in the previous discussion, you were exchanging replies with Bradley. I can tell you that Bradley isn't on minoxidil or on any other hair loss products. He's just a barber in his early 20s and quite a nice "lad" (as he calls it) who is always helping out forum members. I believe he was, in fact, referring to his barbershop customers when he mentioned that he had seen great results from minoxidil-based products.

In my case, I too have plenty of experience with hair loss products from my customers. I do not use them but I too have seen that they work great and how they can change the confidence of a guy who is losing his hair. Many guys tend to shout out pejoratives and call you names if you look after your hair, since, for some of these guys, looking after your hair is considered an effeminate behavior. However, the minute that these guys start losing their hair, they will spend a fortune on trying to get their manes back. This truly shows how important hair is in our society, for both men and women, and how regaining your hair can completely change your life.

With the above said, minoxidil is not a "miracle" compound; minoxidil is a relatively-cheap hair loss compound that can slow down, stop and regrow hair in the vast majority of men who treat their baldness in the early-to-mid stages of the Norwood scale. Once you cross a Norwood IV, the only real option to regain some of your hair is a hair transplant.

For the record and in case that you haven't seen the Norwood scale, I'm posting it below too.

[Image: WySY1EY.jpg]

Some other products to serious consider to treat hair loss are nutritional supplements. Vitamins like vitamin C, A and E are powerful hair-friendly vitamins that help to keep your scalp healthy (after all, you're interested in keeping the follicles in the scalp healthy). As for minerals, zinc and selenium can also help in keeping the scalp healthy and supple (especially zinc). Lastly, omega-3 fatty acids are very important for the scalp and for the correct distribution of sebum on the scalp (plus many other benefits that omega-3 fatty acids have!). Some excellent sources of omega-3 fatty acids are fish oil and cod liver oil.

We've discussed the above nutritional supplements in our huge men's hair nutrition discussion which I highly recommend that you take a look at since we've gone through each of these nutrients and explained how they are useful for healthy hair and follicles as well as many other benefits that they present for men. We've also recommended different suppliers of these nutritional supplements that are both affordable and quite convenient (as they ship fast and right to your door).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
07-30-2015, 08:51 AM
Feel free to post pictures so as to gauge your current balding and hair loss.
One more thing, I've upgraded your account so that you can post pictures of your hair (simply upload the pictures to a free image hosting site like IMGur). It'd be a good idea for us to see your current balding state so as to ensure that minoxidil is the right treatment. You may also consider a medication called finasteride (i.e. Propecia) which is just as effective (if not more) as minoxidil and can be used on hair loss cases that do not respond to minoxidil. The problem with finasteride is that it can have some harsh side effects, which you need to balance out with the prospects of stopping your hair loss and regrowing some of your hair.

Regardless of the finasteride, you've taken the right type of action by jumping on minoxidil and on a product as good as Rogaine.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
07-30-2015, 10:52 AM
RE: How to use different brands of Minoxidil and what strength to use?
Alright I'll be looking to post some photos asap! Anyways just some last questions. Will it be okay if I use rogaine at irregular timings but still twice a day? I say that because as of now I am still having my uni break and I hold a part time job at a bar, which means waking up at 12/1 in the afternoon and going to work at 5/6pm and coming home at 12/1am. If I start rogaine right away I will be looking to use it say when I wake up after my shower and then when I get off work after my shower. My concern is that my uni starts in a month time and by then I will go back to a "normal" person routine like waking up at 8 in the morning etc etc and that would mean the timing of my usage of rogaine would be different. Is this of any huge concern or would u recommend waiting till I have a stable routine before starting
07-30-2015, 11:31 AM
RE: How to use different brands of Minoxidil and what strength to use?
ALSO I'm really at a loss as to which shampoo to buy. I have looked at the thread for the list of shampoo. I will definitely be buying the clarifying shampoo. But as for oil control or hair loss shampoo I'm really not sure! I know for sure my hair loss stems from my oily scalp so I hope you can see my dilemma!
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Minoxidil Regime? catchingitearly 0 76 11-17-2016 10:16 PM
Last Post: catchingitearly
  Thinking of trying minoxidil, need advice!? Freeze 0 625 01-05-2016 01:15 PM
Last Post: Freeze
  Minoxidil Questions Robert123 0 971 05-23-2015 02:01 PM
Last Post: Robert123
  minoxidil mix with hair product...better or worse? Wiggles 4 2,471 05-15-2015 08:06 PM
Last Post: Wiggles