Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to turn Curly hair into Straight hair? Straightening tips
09-03-2015, 01:15 PM
How to turn Curly hair into Straight hair? Straightening tips
Hey guys so I recently joined and I have been struggling to get my hair how I want it to for months. I have curly hair, my hair is always curling up and I would like it straight up and straightened. Please help me.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-25-2015, 11:30 AM
Use a hair relaxer, a keratin-based treatment or a flat iron to straighten your hair.
Unfortunately, curly hair cannot be turned into straight hair with conventional men's hair products alone. You pretty much are limited to 2 options (and 3 methods) to turn curly hair into straight hair:
  • Mechanical: the best way to mechanically straighten men's hair is via the use of a hair straightener (also known as a "flat iron"). A hair straightener uses two plates that are heated to a very high temperature which then modifies the structure of the (curly) hair, rendering it fully straight. The disadvantage to using a hair straightener is that the effect is only temporary, and your hair goes back to its full curly shape after a couple of days.
  • Chemical: there are several chemicals that can be used to straighten men's curly hair. A relaxer is a type of chemical that is left on the hair for 20 to 30 minutes, and, in that amount of time, it fully straightens curly hair. It's best to relax your hair at a hair salon first as you need to ensure that the relaxer is only applied to the hair itself and not to the scalp (as the relaxer can mildly burn the scalp's skin). The main disadvantage to using a hair relaxer is that it weakens the hair, so you must use a men's hair conditioner and a hair mask (or a deep conditioner) more frequently than otherwise (i.e. than having natural hair).

Another type of chemical that can be used is one that's based on keratin (along with other chemicals) that, when heated, it straightens the hair. Such treatments use a regular hair straightener to apply heat to the hair, and the hair-straightening result lasts between 3 and 6 months. Such treatments can sometimes be called a "Brazilian blowout" or a "Japanese hair-straightening" method or system. The disadvantage to this type of keratin-based straightening method is that it is quite expensive when compared to the other hair straightening options for men.
As far as disadvantages go, don't let them scare you out of straightening your curly hair. Just make sure that, whichever hair straightening option you choose, you do it correctly.

Using a good hair straightener is imperative for straightening your curly mane without damaging it, so it's always good to spend a little bit more and buy/use a good hair straightener. See our recommended hair straighteners for men to know about the best hair straighteners available and at a good price. Never use a cheap hair straightener on your hair as you will burn your hair after a couple of applications (cheap hair straighteners do not regulate the high temperatures from the plates well enough, which will damage your hair badly!).

Straighten your hair with a hair straightener can be done at home easily. On the other hand, using a hair relaxer or using a keratin-based method to straighten your hair is best done at a hair salon if this is your first time using either of the two hair-straightening methods.

If you go ahead with straightening your curly hair with any of the aforementioned 3 types of hair straightening for men, then make sure that you get any of the shampoos and conditioners in our list of recommended men's hair products. The American Crew shampoo listed together with the Agadir oil conditioner listed will make a great shampoo-with-conditioner combination to look after your straightened hair. Use that conditioner at least 4 times per week and you will have no issues arising from your use of a hair straightening method.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to get better hair and hairstyles as a male - 5 easy tips The Hairstylist 0 155 10-03-2016 10:32 AM
Last Post: The Hairstylist
  How to use hair trimmer for a hair thinning haircut? Lorenn 3 1,261 06-02-2016 02:35 PM
Last Post: claus
  Growing Man Bun Hairstyle with Short Wavy Curly Hair and Puffy thickheadedandhaired 3 1,262 05-02-2016 04:24 PM
Last Post: Refrusloi
  Differences Between Thick Hair and Thin Hair? GoodHair 10 28,873 12-18-2015 08:30 AM
Last Post: Fantast1c